MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Bio 3u03 parachb 3rd Year Course Reviews 8 12-27-2014 08:49 PM
Psych 3u03 Richa Academics 0 09-15-2010 09:48 PM
Econ 3U03 collieee Academics 2 08-12-2010 10:14 AM
Bio 3U03 help? hans23 Academics 15 08-11-2010 04:54 PM
Do you need into Biology 3U03 and Psych 3T03?? katesaidhi Academics 1 01-07-2010 09:47 AM

Biology 3U03

Biology 3U03
Published by Lois
04-11-2009
Published by
Elite Member

Author review
Overall Rating
40%40%40%
Professor Rating
40%40%40%
Interest
50%50%50%
Easiness
20%20%20%
Average 38%
Biology 3U03

Definitely an interesting course that expands on material from 2A03.

There are formal labs nearly everyweek and there is a ton of material to cover. In other words, the course load is HEAVY.

The prof is good, with some minor mix-ups, but the questions are fair (MC and SA).
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Biology 3U03!

Old 12-18-2009 at 01:22 PM   #2
Omega_X13

Liked: 9 Times
Animal Physiology - Homeostasis
I took this course in Fall 2009 with Dr. Wood.

The mark breakdown was:
35% - Labs
25% - Midterm
40% - Final Exam

Lectures
There were three main topics that were covered in the course: the circulatory, respiratory, and urinary systems. The first half of the course was devoted to circulation, while the remaining half was split between the other two. This course goes into a lot more detail of what was covered in 2A03, and I would definitely suggest keeping your 2A03 notes. Lecture slides were posted before class, and they were pretty good for the most part. They have all the important information on them (including diagrams), but I wouldn't suggest skipping class as they're not extremely detailed. I missed some classes and regret it. As well, Dr. Wood often assigned specific topics and readings that need to be done on your own, which can be tested. In other words, you'll need to buy the textbook, which I found kind of hard to get through since it's so detailed.

Dr. Wood is one of the better profs I've had. He definitely knows what he is talking about. The only thing I didn't like about the lectures though was how it felt like he was just talking about topics randomly without any clear cohesion into a big picture for the systems, so I thought the information could have been presented in a better order. We also had some guest lecturers because Dr. Wood went away for research and whatnot, and they were fine as well.

Labs
Labs are a big component of this course as it is worth 35% in total. The labs are 3 hoursevery week with a formal lab report every other week worth different amounts (3+4+5+5 = 17%). In the weeks where there are no lab report, there is a quiz worth 2% (three of these in total = 6%). We also had to a seminar, which includes a three page written report, a handout for the class, and a presentation worth 4%. The final 8% is a lab exam.

The labs are a lot more interesting than the 2A03 ones. A majority of them involves using the computer and measuring pulse pressure, ECG, respiration, etc, which was done briefly in 2A03 if I recall correctly. My favorite lab was the frog dissection. Speaking of which, if you're against dissection animals or using animals in labs (you also use goldfish and mice for respiration), then you should think twice about taking this class.

Everything is done in partners (including the seminar), but the lab reports are individual. If you really dislike writing lab reports, don't take this course. I had an awesome TA who was fair in the gradings, but I've heard that some are harder. You get either one or two weeks do the lab reports, and I recommend starting them as fast as possible after the lab since they take a while.

The quizzes we had were ten multiple choice questions each, and are generally easy marks as long as you pay attention and learn during those labs. The seminar just involved researching a topic and presenting it. Pay attention to the presentations though because some topics may appear on the lab exam, which was all multiple choice like the quizzes.

Tests
The midterm covered mostly circulation (we only had one or two lectures on respiration before it), and the final exam was 60% post-midterm and 40% pre-midterm. They both had three sections to them: multiple choice, short answers, and longer answers. The questions were fair, and it's really only the multiple choice where you might find tricky questions. I found the exam to be more difficult, but that's just because I don't really like the respiratory or urinary systems as much. It's also not completely pure memorization because there are some calculations and application involved.

Interest
All in all, the course was interesting. If you like learning a bit in-depth about how the human body works, then you should take it. The workload is pretty big, and you really have to keep up to do well. There is also 3UU3, if you don't want to do the labs but want to take a physiology course.

Last edited by Omega_X13 : 12-18-2009 at 01:26 PM.

0t10, mandee08, R633, sanju, sinthusized all say thanks to Omega_X13 for this post.
Old 08-30-2010 at 06:05 PM   #3
mizz.s.

Liked: 0 Times
do you guys think the course will be easier with dr nurse?
Old 08-30-2010 at 06:32 PM   #4
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times
Dr. Nurse is a great prof. I found his course Bio 3P03 easy.

Keep in mind that he doesn't like MC questions ... although he may reuse material from previous professors (like McClelland did). It was mostly the large amount of content that was difficult and the formal lab reports, not the prof.

mizz.s. says thanks to Lois for this post.

Old 06-22-2013 at 07:58 PM   #5
tsaomk

Liked: 2 Times
any recent reviews? How was dr wood and nurse?
Also, what was the seminar about?

drslayer987 likes this.
Old 05-18-2015 at 03:37 AM   #6
Kobina.Baiden

Liked: 0 Times
does anyone have a current review of this course they would like to share?? thanks

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search