MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Biochemistry Level II Cutoffs RememberTwce Academics 16 05-31-2011 10:14 AM
Engineering Level II Cutoffs cypher First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 30 04-20-2011 07:49 PM
level 2 program cutoffs bubblegum3 Academics 7 02-24-2011 10:39 PM
2nd year class sizes? Cassandraa87 Academics 1 06-09-2010 10:18 PM
Biology & Environmental Science Level II program minji Academics 2 06-07-2010 07:52 PM

Biology and Biochemistry Level II Program Cutoffs + Class Sizes

Old 07-03-2011 at 10:09 PM   #1
UlteriorMtve

Liked: 199 Times

Biology and Biochemistry Level II Program Cutoffs + Class Sizes
I posted this information from my original account but since it's been banned, nobody can view the threads except for me (when I log into the banned account).

This topic has been coming up recently in various threads so I figured I'd post the information again.

By "Last Year's Cutoff", I mean the cut-off for the people who applied during the 2009-2010 school year. The cutoffs change from year to year but generally stay in the same range (I presume) and the class sizes should remain fairly stable.

Biology Level II Cut-offs
I dunno if this will help anyone or if it is even new information but I just got back from the Biology Level II Info Night and I got some info about some of the programs that I thought might be helpful.

Honours Biology
Class Size: 80-90
Last Year's Cutoff: 7.8

Molecular Biology and Genetics
Class Size: 30-40
Last Year's Cutoff: 8.4

Honours Biology (Physiology Specialization)
Class Size: Max 35
Last Year's Cutoff: 8.6

**3rd Year Program: Honours Biology and Pharmacology Co-op
Class Size: ~18-20
Last Year's Cutoff: 8.5

*For all programs, I was told the cutoffs would be very similar this year.

**For this program this is also an interview that is just as important as your CA. Also, as long as you meet the course requirements, you can apply from any Level II program and will not be at any disadvantage or advantage in terms of learning the material.

Biochemistry Level II Cutoffs
Just some info from the Biochemistry and Biomedical Sciences "Ticket To Your Future" Event:

Honours Biochemistry (No Specialization)
Program Size: 60-65
Estimated Cut-off: 8.0

Honours Biochemistry (Biomedical Sciences Specialization)
Program Size: Max 40
Estimated Cutoff: 8.0

Honours Biochemistry (Biotechnology Specialization)
Program Size: Max 25
Estimated Cutoff: 8.0

*I was told the cutoffs were around 7.8 last year so an 8.0 would give you a very good chance to get in.

I did not ask about the Origins Specialization. My apologies to anyone who wanted that info.

Feel free to correct me if any of this is wrong or if I got any of the programs mixed up or to add on to anything I said!

EDIT: Can a moderator tell me when my other account (RememberTwce) is being unbanned. I remember it wasn't permanent but the date no longer appears when I log in.

Last edited by UlteriorMtve : 07-03-2011 at 10:17 PM.

beeswax, Biochem47, Buddastotle, jenpower, s.ma all say thanks to UlteriorMtve for this post.

cjdzl, icecubz, MichaelScarn like this.
Old 07-03-2011 at 10:22 PM   #2
jenpower

Liked: 7 Times

Dumb question, but is class size the total amount of people admitted to the program or just the amount of people in lectures/tutorials/labs (if there are multiples classes)?
Old 07-03-2011 at 10:28 PM   #3
UlteriorMtve

Liked: 199 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenpower View Post
Dumb question, but is class size the total amount of people admitted to the program or just the amount of people in lectures/tutorials/labs (if there are multiples classes)?
Admitted to program.

jenpower says thanks to UlteriorMtve for this post.
Old 07-03-2011 at 10:29 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenpower View Post
Total amount of people admitted into the program that year.

jenpower says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 07-03-2011 at 10:29 PM   #5
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

For those who wants to know this pervious years cut off (2010-2011)

Honours Biology - 8.5
Honours Biology (Physiology) - 9.3
Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics - 8.6
Honours Biochem - 8.0

As you can see cut off changes every year (especially for all bio programs look how much it increased by O.o)

Faer, marido, UlteriorMtve all say thanks to cjdzl for this post.

UlteriorMtve likes this.
Old 07-04-2011 at 02:44 AM   #6
s.ma
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 4 Times

does anyone know about 2011-2012 so this year?
i'm curious, i heard from people that the cuttoff was much lower. =\
Old 07-04-2011 at 02:53 AM   #7
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.ma View Post
does anyone know about 2011-2012 so this year?
i'm curious, i heard from people that the cuttoff was much lower. =\
The cut-offs in the post above are for 2011-2012, i.e. those applying in 2010-2011 and entering second year this year. It was mentioned in another thread a while back. Also, I wouldn't say the cut-offs were lower, some programs have higher and others have lower cut-offs in comparison with the year before.

s.ma says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.