MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honours Biology (Physiology Specialization) Juliann Academics 2 03-08-2011 12:52 PM
Honours Biology and Physiology? VoyozooT Academics 17 07-05-2010 10:45 AM
Honours Biology (Physiology) mac-sci Academics 78 06-22-2010 09:12 PM
Honours Molecular Bio and Genetics vs. Honours Biology (Physiology Specialization) kritters91 Academics 4 06-10-2010 07:42 PM
Honours Biology - Genetics Specialization rrtt Academics 0 03-22-2009 01:02 PM

Biology (Physiology Specialization) vs. Honours Life Sciences

Old 06-09-2012 at 10:34 PM   #1
Kev.Guo.22

Liked: 1 Time

Biology (Physiology Specialization) vs. Honours Life Sciences
I've been struggling to decide between Biology w/ Physiology and Honours Life Science for my second year specialization.

Like a lot of science hopefuls here I'll be trying to get into medical school for after my undergraduate.
Would either of these programs factor into that? I know I just get a science degree after I graduate from either but does the biophysiology title factor into anything?

Also, I've heard that physio is really difficult but I like the fact that I get to do more physiology related courses but as first year showed, even though Kin 1Y03/1YY3 were 2 of my favourite courses, they were my lowest marks.
But life sciences does offer more selection over the few courses in physio that I may not what to take and it would probably be easier to keep a higher average in that program.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Especially any upper years in the biophysio program possibly being able to elaborate on how difficult that program is?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-09-2012 at 11:13 PM   #2
rkb12

Liked: 33 Times

From what I know, the title doesn't mean anything in terms of med school admissions. You can apply to med school from either of these programs as long as you fulfil the pre-reqs, so I think you should choose what interests you the most. It might even lead you to other career options, which is always a good thing!

Life science offers more electives than the physiology specialization (who have as much electives as mol bio students do... not a lot), so you would be able to avoid difficult courses, take more easy electives, or even do a minor. That being said, I think that you will do well in what you enjoy. Anatomy is not the same as physiology and a lot of upper year physiology courses are more like Bio 2A03 than Kin 1Y03/1YY3. Also I have to mention that a fourth year thesis is mandatory for the physiology specialization and it is optional in life sci, which can be a factor in your decision.

If you want, you could always go into second year with the physio specialization and see if you really enjoy Bio 2A03 (because that's the only physio you do in second year). If yes, then stay in the specialization. If not, then it wouldn't be hard to drop to life sciences. It's always easier to go from a specialty to life sciences than the other way around.

Good luck making your decision!
Old 06-09-2012 at 11:16 PM   #3
winter02

Liked: 7 Times

Haha, I have the same problem, except I'm deciding between Health Sciences and Physio. From what I see, you could think of physio as life sci with some priorities. What I mean by that is physio guarantees you the physio course in that you will get in since it is required, but life sci, you will have to fight for most of the bio electives. Other than the mandatory thesis, that's the gist of the difference between the two. If most of your interests lie in the mandatory courses in physio, I would say go with that. If you want more freedom and you have other upper year electives in mind, go with life sci.
Old 06-09-2012 at 11:19 PM   #4
rkb12

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter02 View Post
Haha, I have the same problem, except I'm deciding between Health Sciences and Physio. From what I see, you could think of physio as life sci with some priorities. What I mean by that is physio guarantees you the physio course in that you will get in since it is required, but life sci, you will have to fight for most of the bio electives. Other than the mandatory thesis, that's the gist of the difference between the two. If most of your interests lie in the mandatory courses in physio, I would say go with that. If you want more freedom and you have other upper year electives in mind, go with life sci.
Yes I forgot to mention that! Life scis can take any physio/mol bio courses but if they get full the priority goes to the students in the specialization.
Old 06-09-2012 at 11:20 PM   #5
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

I'd do the physiology specialization, because if you decide you don't like it, it's really easy to switch to life sci. It would be much harder to switch from life sci to physiology. By trying physiology, it's win-win
Old 06-09-2012 at 11:21 PM   #6
Kev.Guo.22

Thanks for the input!
I didn't think about the 4th year thesis at all. Almost a little embarrassed to ask but how would the thesis factor/matter in all of this? Would it have an effect?

Also, a big factor is that there are a few kin courses that I'd like to take but they require me being in physio.
Old 06-09-2012 at 11:22 PM   #7
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev.Guo.22 View Post
Thanks for the input!
I didn't think about the 4th year thesis at all. Almost a little embarrassed to ask but how would the thesis factor/matter in all of this? Would it have an effect?

Also, a big factor is that there are a few kin courses that I'd like to take but they require me being in physio.
The thesis only matters if you really don't want to do one.
Old 06-09-2012 at 11:24 PM   #8
Kev.Guo.22

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
The thesis only matters if you really don't want to do one.
So not doing a thesis doesn't really matter for me applying for med school or grad school later on?
That'd be very convenient haha
Old 06-09-2012 at 11:27 PM   #9
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
So not doing a thesis doesn't really matter for me applying for med school or grad school later on?
That'd be very convenient haha
Ohh I didn't realize that's what you meant--since you can do a thesis from physiology or life sci, I thought you meant that you HAVE to do one for physio.

If you want to do grad school, a thesis is a must. You'd also be much better off coming from physiology than life sci.

UofT med school looks favourably on research experience, also.
Old 06-09-2012 at 11:31 PM   #10
rkb12

Quote:
Thanks for the input!

Some people just don't want to do a thesis. It's a 9-unit fourth year course, and from what I've heard, it's time-consuming but valuable. Also how well you do affects your GPA quite a bit since it's weighted so much. I don't know too much about it, but I hear it's an interesting experience, and recommended if you're thinking about going to graduate school or doing something in research.

A lot of the physio courses are mostly based on animals in general, not just human, so taking kin would be more relevant.

Is bio (core) an option for you? It has more requirements than life sciences but less than physio, optional thesis, and it might be easier to get into biology courses from bio core than from life sciences.
Old 06-09-2012 at 11:31 PM   #11
Kev.Guo.22

Alright. I think I'm gonna biophysiology a go.
Just gotta work a bit harder is all.

You guys have been a bunch of help.
Thanks!
Old 06-12-2012 at 04:39 PM   #12
rumbletime

If you leave bio physiol and go to hons bio or hons life sciences, will it show in any way on your transcript/records? And how many of the bio physiol courses involve animal physiology?

Thanks!
Old 06-12-2012 at 04:45 PM   #13
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbletime View Post
If you leave bio physiol and go to hons bio or hons life sciences, will it show in any way on your transcript/records? And how many of the bio physiol courses involve animal physiology?

Thanks!
On your transcript, it shows the program you're registered in for each session.
Old 06-12-2012 at 04:46 PM   #14
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbletime View Post
If you leave bio physiol and go to hons bio or hons life sciences, will it show in any way on your transcript/records?
Yes it will.
Old 06-12-2012 at 04:50 PM   #15
rumbletime

Thank you! Is it 'bad' or a disadvantage to have it show like that? (i.e. for graduate/medical school)... and how many of the bio physiol courses involve animal physiology?