MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honours Biology (Physiology Specialization) Juliann Academics 2 03-08-2011 12:52 PM
Honours Biology and Physiology? VoyozooT Academics 17 07-05-2010 10:45 AM
Honours Biology (Physiology) mac-sci Academics 78 06-22-2010 09:12 PM
Honours Molecular Bio and Genetics vs. Honours Biology (Physiology Specialization) kritters91 Academics 4 06-10-2010 07:42 PM
Honours Biology - Genetics Specialization rrtt Academics 0 03-22-2009 01:02 PM

Biology (Physiology Specialization) vs. Honours Life Sciences

Old 06-12-2012 at 04:51 PM   #16
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbletime View Post
Thank you! Is it 'bad' or a disadvantage to have it show like that? (i.e. for graduate/medical school)... and how many of the bio physiol courses involve animal physiology?
Most places don't care what program you're in. The places that do care, will care regardless of whether or not you switched into it or were in it all along.
Look up the courses in the course calendar.
Old 06-12-2012 at 05:00 PM   #17
rumbletime

Liked: 1 Time

Oh okay.. I meant the fact that I 'left' a specialization/a program for another -- will they care about that?
Old 06-12-2012 at 05:11 PM   #18
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Oh okay.. I meant the fact that I 'left' a specialization/a program for another -- will they care about that?
It's impossible to give a "correct" answer to this question. My guess is, the vast majority of the time "they" won't. I can't tell you that "they" never will care, because I'm not privy to information for every possible thing you can apply to, nor am I every single employer.

People switch programs all the time. Like I said, you're way overthinking this.
Old 06-12-2012 at 05:39 PM   #19
rumbletime

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
If you want to do grad school, a thesis is a must. You'd also be much better off coming from physiology than life sci.
Why would one be much better off in this case? If a life sci/bio student does the same work, thesis, etc., how does the spec make a difference?

Thanks so much
Old 06-12-2012 at 06:30 PM   #20
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Why would one be much better off in this case? If a life sci/bio student does the same work, thesis, etc., how does the spec make a difference?

Thanks so much
Most specializations have lab-specific courses and learn material much more "specialized", which is what you would expect. I know many profs who prefer to take students in more specialized programs because these come with more lab experience, and will take a student in, say, biochemistry over one in life sci or health sci.
That said, it's not absolutely necessary, if you work in a lab for many summers and do a thesis and whatnot, you will probably be able to find a prof to take you on for grad school, however someone in a specialization will have an advantage over you, since they probably also worked in labs and did a thesis.
Old 06-12-2012 at 06:34 PM   #21
Christ

Liked: 9 Times

What electives are you guys planning to take for physio?

I wanted to take the kin courses (2C03, 2CC3) but I heard its tough to get into those.
Old 07-03-2012 at 11:00 PM   #22
Kev.Guo.22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
What electives are you guys planning to take for physio?

I wanted to take the kin courses (2C03, 2CC3) but I heard its tough to get into those.
It is. Being able to take the few extra physio courses were the only reason I wanted to get into this program actually haha.
I tried getting into those programs the first night, no luck. Emailed all the relevant people and they all say it's full.
Still can try when SOLAR reopens next week. But personally, I'm not holding out for them anymore unless they're open that first night.