MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Admission in to Biochemistry and Biomedical Sciences MacFreak76 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 08-24-2010 11:47 AM
Electrical and Biomedical Engineering w/ Management jp1390 Academics 8 06-05-2010 10:30 PM
Biomedical Specialization M&M&M&M First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 11-15-2009 11:36 AM
Electrical & Biomedical Engineering nytrogyn First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 27 03-21-2009 10:49 AM

Biomedical Engineering

Old 07-22-2011 at 06:44 PM   #1
naval23

Liked: 33 Times

Biomedical Engineering
Is McMaster planning on coupling Biomedical Engineering with Mechanical Engineering or even Life Science? I want to go into the biomechanical side of biomedical engineering, not the electrical part.
Old 07-22-2011 at 07:15 PM   #2
forever0zero

Liked: 39 Times

there are 2 courses on biomechanics in 4th year mechanical engineering, you might wanna check those out.

http://mech.eng.mcmaster.ca/courses_level4.html
look for 4BB3 and 4CC3
Old 07-22-2011 at 07:15 PM   #3
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Nope, it is one of the programs at mac that is unique and mac loves to boast about.

Take Mech Eng. and then take a couple biomed courses in 4th year when you have technical electives/eng electives
Old 07-22-2011 at 08:24 PM   #4
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

yeah i was going to suggest taking mech eng. In upper years take every possible biomed course you are allowed to do( from electrical or chemical) . maybe sucka a advisor into letting you take bio 1a03 ( intro) and our version of kineseology.
Old 07-23-2011 at 12:31 AM   #5
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPack View Post
... maybe sucka a advisor into letting you take bio 1a03...
Uh. What :S

I think materials/mech is the path for you so you can understand the theory behind what you'd learn in biomechanics.. life sci just barely touches on it.

No matter what you take, get intro bio and an anatomy course, because its a necessity.
Old 07-23-2011 at 02:33 AM   #6
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

nnope its creating the biological side with the human body. creating hospital machines for example. thats all elec
Old 07-23-2011 at 09:46 AM   #7
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

I definitely have not heard about this at all.
I'm guessing no, cuz of whats been said above, and cuz they're pretty different programs.
Maybe someday they'll couple health sci with life sci though...
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 07-23-2011 at 01:29 PM   #8
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Uh. What :S

I think materials/mech is the path for you so you can understand the theory behind what you'd learn in biomechanics.. life sci just barely touches on it.

No matter what you take, get intro bio and an anatomy course, because its a necessity.

bio1a03 is a intro bio course. the kine course i was talking about is htl sci 2l03/2ll03 antanomy and PHYSIOLOGY

the reason why i said they have to ask an advisor is only Chemical Engineering and Bioengineering or Electrical and Biomedical Engineering students can be in it.
Old 08-10-2011 at 04:03 PM   #9
driedapples2

Liked: 0 Times

Hi does anyone know the average admission you need to get into the Electrical and Biomedical Engineering program for an IB student, if not for a high school student?
Old 08-10-2011 at 04:12 PM   #10
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by driedapples2 View Post
Hi does anyone know the average admission you need to get into the Electrical and Biomedical Engineering program for an IB student, if not for a high school student?
You look at the entrance average for engineering one. Entry into Electrical and Biomed Eng is based on your first-year marks. After general Engineering 1, you apply at the end of first year for the program. The cut-off for that year depends on the average of other applicants.
These are the entry requirements:
Completion of High School Diploma plus;

Grade 12 U/M requirements - 6 courses in total, including:

• English (ENG4U)
• Calculus & Vectors (MCV4U)
• Chemistry (SCH4U)
• Physics (SPH4U)

Note: Students are expected to have completed Advanced Functions (MHF4U).

Anticipated Admission Range - September 2011 (Subject To Change)
low to mid 80s

For IB:
• English
• One of: Math (HL), Math (SL)
• Chemistry
• Physics

An anticipated minimum score of 31-32 is required for consideration.

Source: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /forms/canad.php

driedapples2 says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.