Control Systems ash0000 Academics 3 05-01-2009 07:50 AM

Birth Control!

Old 10-07-2009 at 09:57 PM   #16
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duarch View Post
Lol apparently the crocodile thing they used AIDED in contraception because it made a better environment for spermies to swim around in.

Some interesting forms of past birth control: http://www.momversation.com/blog/mos...ontrol-methods

Sex is badddddddddddddddd. But telling people not to do it is like leaving a rope with a "don't pull me" sign. You know you shouldn't... but you will.

No it's not actually like that but it's fun to think of it that way.

Also note that they also sell emergency contraception (which also requires an appointment) for when accidents happen! Just wondering, can you buy extra Plan B pills in case you need them when the clinic isn't open?
You don't need a prescription for Plan B. It's over the counter.
Old 10-07-2009 at 09:58 PM   #17
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duarch View Post

Sex is badddddddddddddddd.
Sex is definitely not bad... it's fun and it's natural, and it feels good. There's nothing wrong with it as long as all parties are consenting and they're accepting all the risks involved (ie being responsible).

jamescw1234, katie_batt like this.
Old 10-07-2009 at 10:01 PM   #18
Duarch

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
You don't need a prescription for Plan B. It's over the counter.
They require you to make a 5 minute appointment before they give it to you. Or they did last year anyways...

It's bad as in... well fine. I will agree with you. Sex is not bad. The consequences of sex can be very bad... <-- CAN not WILL
Old 10-07-2009 at 10:13 PM   #19
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

People should not depend on the Plan B pill as a birth control alternative. But Plan B is available at Shoppers Drug Mart anytime, so if you have an accident you should go there. I don't think people are suppose to stock up on Plan B pills:S Im pretty confident it's meant for emergency situations.

daisy, Taunton like this.
Old 10-07-2009 at 10:24 PM   #20
Duarch

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo87 View Post
People should not depend on the Plan B pill as a birth control alternative. But Plan B is available at Shoppers Drug Mart anytime, so if you have an accident you should go there. I don't think people are suppose to stock up on Plan B pills:S Im pretty confident it's meant for emergency situations.
Lol yes but it's good to have a few at home just in case.
I guess the appointment is only necessary for the on campus health care center since they're selling it at reduced prices? I'm not sure...
Old 10-07-2009 at 10:32 PM   #21
c.erl
PLUC Front, etc.

Liked: 94 Times

Remember! Abstinence is the best form of birth control

In Political Theory, we're talking about Plato's Republic and how those in the 'Guardian Classes' were supposed to master their base desires to become more virtuous leaders. Just thought I'd apply course concepts to everyday life...

.:callen:. likes this.
Old 10-08-2009 at 07:05 AM   #22
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Abstinence is the best way to prevent exciting </sarcasm> side effects, like babies in university but the bottom line is that if you choose to be sexually active you choose to be responsible for your sexual activity.
That does include doing your research, and being prepared to make an investment in good quality contraceptives.
I know, I've heard "student budget" before but sex isn't like breathing. A lack of sexual contact does not automatically cause severe damaging physiological results. You choose sex, you choose responsibility.
It's like people complaining that the price of gas has gone up. You choose to drive, you choose to fill up gas. Now if that's a Lexus you're driving and I hope many of us do value ourselves more than $50000 cars, and you go for the regular - its effects aren't something you're entitled to complain about if your mechanic specifically specified "premium".
If it's that big a deal, then one should be prepared to make the leap ahead. If it's not, that doesn't reflect well on your maturity.
Sex can't be grouped into specific categories. It may not even be fun for participants who are unfamiliar with their own needs and wants.
It is only one thing - a big decision that requires maturity and responsibility.
If one doesn't feel ready for either of those (even if it means you just don't have access to cheap condoms and you don't want to spend the money) then that's a fact one has to face and accept. Pretending does not help anyone in this case, and may even lead to the aforementioned "exciting" (</sarcasm>) side effect of a baby.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

daisy, Richa like this.
Old 10-08-2009 at 11:05 AM   #23
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

You might as well go on birth control (if you haven't already) if you're considering 'stocking up' on Plan B. I mean, those things are super expensive apparently. Plan B can also screw up your cycle, and cause other side effects that aren't worth it. But yes, really really good if there's an accident. :]
Old 10-08-2009 at 11:17 AM   #24
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Again, abstinence education fails. See USA.

People can preach abstinence all they want, the majority of people are not going to listen/care. That's not the way to deal with this "problem" (which I don't consider it to be a problem).

Everyone has the right to act as they choose, and the responsibility to understand and accept the consequences.

adrian, katie_batt, Richa like this.
Old 10-08-2009 at 11:32 AM   #25
Lois
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
You might as well go on birth control (if you haven't already) if you're considering 'stocking up' on Plan B. I mean, those things are super expensive apparently. Plan B can also screw up your cycle, and cause other side effects that aren't worth it. But yes, really really good if there's an accident. :]
I agree, there is no point in stocking up on Plan B. As long as you're doing things properly, there shouldn't be any accidents. Plan B can make a lot of people feel incredibly sick and throw up because of the high dosage of drugs.

As long as you're using condoms properly (pinch the tip, hold the rim) and as long as the female is on contraceptives (Nuva Ring, Patch, Pill), it's highly unlikely that a pregnancy will occur. Most breaks happen because people don't know how to 1) use a condom properly or 2) the contraceptives weren't taken properly (not consistent, antibiotics, etc).

daisy likes this.
Old 10-08-2009 at 02:06 PM   #26
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
Again, abstinence education fails. See USA.

People can preach abstinence all they want, the majority of people are not going to listen/care. That's not the way to deal with this "problem" (which I don't consider it to be a problem).

Everyone has the right to act as they choose, and the responsibility to understand and accept the consequences.
I agree.

I don't know if I'm taking it the wrong way, but the way some people are preaching abstinence almost seems judgemental.

I don't see the problem with having sex as often as you want. Birth control is pretty much all you need to stay unpregnant. birth control + condoms = ultimate protection against babies and you probably won't get a disease.

Have sex all you want and don't be stupid. If you're stupid, you'll get pregnant and die.

Birth Control is awesome though. Get it, even if you're not sexually active. Makes your period a shit more regulated (I get mine at the same time EVERY month for 1-2 days, compared to the 6-7 before >_<) and it helps with cramps! I don't even get cramps anymore.

Edit: If you're still in school, I would just stay on your parents' health plan. Just go to your family doctor/walk in, say you want a refill, and they'll give it to you. Your family doctor will probably give you a prescription for a year's worth. My dad's plan makes it 5 bucks for 3 months worth, so yea. It's cheap. o_O

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Last edited by lawleypop : 10-08-2009 at 02:10 PM.

adrian, Taunton like this.
Old 10-08-2009 at 02:42 PM   #27
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

All I can really say about this is depending on Plan B is a really bad idea. It tends to make people sick after taking it (at least it's made the three girls I've talked to about taking it sick) and it costs a lot. Considering you can get a free condom form your CA at anytime, or go down to Shec and pick up a few for free or go on the pill for very little money. Stocking up on Plan B makes no logical or financial sense.

Maegs, Taunton like this.
Old 10-08-2009 at 05:23 PM   #28
Lois
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
All I can really say about this is depending on Plan B is a really bad idea. It tends to make people sick after taking it (at least it's made the three girls I've talked to about taking it sick) and it costs a lot. Considering you can get a free condom form your CA at anytime, or go down to Shec and pick up a few for free or go on the pill for very little money. Stocking up on Plan B makes no logical or financial sense.
Or Campus Health B106, they're right in a basket.
Old 10-08-2009 at 06:20 PM   #29
manaya

Liked: 26 Times

Why are ppl talking about 'sex' in bad light. Srsly ... its a completely natural process. Also in humans, as well as some other species its also a pleasure-driven process and hence enjoyable.

Abstinence almost seems to go against natural instincts!

katie_batt likes this.
Old 10-08-2009 at 07:08 PM   #30
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I was looking at the prices for birth control here ..

http://www.mcmaster.ca/health/pdf/Sa...0-%20Final.pdf

Why are some more expensive than others? I know Nuva Ring isn't a set of pills, so that might be why it's more pricey. But what about Linessa and Marvelon?