MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chemical Engineering Advice adeelb Academics 4 09-07-2011 05:03 PM
Engineering Timetable Advice Tower182 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 08-09-2011 01:27 PM
Advice for Engineering 1 DarthFuzzy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 35 08-20-2010 11:54 PM
Advice for First Year Engineering Students zoyy First Year Success 17 06-25-2009 03:01 PM

A BIT OF ADVICE for an engineering student?

Old 08-20-2013 at 09:10 PM   #16
Alert Moderator & Admin
Add negative rating-7Add positive rank
The MI community has ranked down this post by AvacadoLover.
Click here to view it anyways.
Old 08-20-2013 at 09:23 PM   #17
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

My advice for any student entering mac eng:

Study for the math test during Welcome Week. It covers content from high school math and a couple other tricky questions. The better you do on it, the better you do during the school year!

I guess its up to you... you can listen to us who have gone through first year engineering, or listen to a guy that apparently just loves Avacados... choose wisely!
Old 08-20-2013 at 09:31 PM   #18
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

Here's the engineering logic. Work Hard. Party harder. Expect drinking and socializing and other fun things after, it is your frosh
Old 08-20-2013 at 11:57 PM   #19
gggggg

Liked: 53 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvacadoLover View Post
More proof that this is just a prank.

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...47986& page=4

I did noticed a moderator posting, but here is another moderator that would support my original statement.

http://www.macinsiders.com/showpost.... &postcount=58

Stop stressing out the poor kid. Its even worst for people that commute and have to get up early just to go to what end up being, a hate rally against other faculties.

Anyway. Take it as you will.
you must be fun at parties......
Old 08-21-2013 at 08:38 AM   #20
Alert Moderator & Admin
Add negative rating-5Add positive rank
The MI community has ranked down this post by AvacadoLover.
Click here to view it anyways.
Old 08-21-2013 at 08:59 AM   #21
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 201 Times

Quote:
I just despite this so called "tradition" of deceit and hatemongering that the Engineering faculty does during Welcome Week. Engineering students at McMaster need to heed to called of last year article on the Silhouette.
How is that Kipling prank connected to Welcome Week?
Old 08-21-2013 at 09:21 AM   #22
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Quote:
I just despite this so called "tradition" of deceit and hatemongering that the Engineering faculty does during Welcome Week. Engineering students at McMaster need to heed to called of last year article on the Silhouette.

http://www.thesil.ca/kipling-maze-enoughs-enough
You mean someone complained to the sil [the university newspaper...which is a clue that this complaint means absolutely nothing]. Also this is KIPLING...not frosh week. Kipling is a well established tradition among all Canadaian engineering programs. Also, all Kipling pranks get authorized by a central body that takes accountability. Please read the comments by Zach Strong below the article in the comments.
Old 08-22-2013 at 11:19 AM   #23
AvacadoLover
Account Locked

Liked: 51 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlinkett View Post
How is that Kipling prank connected to Welcome Week?
Its about people neglecting the consequences of their actions part that is connected to Welcome Week ritual.

I love this particular piece and the one line that resonate deeply to me is "While tradition in and of itself is not necessarily negative, it’s always important to evaluate why we do what we do and what the consequences are."

Personally, I think we should take pride of being part of the same University instead of just merely being in a particular faculty. Rivalries should be with other University and not within McMaster.

Anyway, I think we are diverging on the original topic. I will just leave it as it. The OP has enough information now and can decide on what he want to do.
Old 08-22-2013 at 12:21 PM   #24
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 201 Times

Quote:
Its about people neglecting the consequences of their actions part that is connected to Welcome Week ritual.

I love this particular piece and the one line that resonate deeply to me is "While tradition in and of itself is not necessarily negative, it’s always important to evaluate why we do what we do and what the consequences are."

Personally, I think we should take pride of being part of the same University instead of just merely being in a particular faculty. Rivalries should be with other University and not within McMaster.

Anyway, I think we are diverging on the original topic. I will just leave it as it. The OP has enough information now and can decide on what he want to do.
I think you are thinking too much. Stop being such a party pooper. Stop it. Just stop it.
Old 08-22-2013 at 04:21 PM   #25
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

Sigh not the maze again.

Here's the thing. Of course every person is going to have faculty pride. Engineers just display it MUCH more during frosh week.

Also, that Kipling prank was KIPLING not WELCOME WEEK. Zachary Strong's comment sums it up well. You also can't please everyone so yea.

No more diverging of topics please.
Old 08-26-2013 at 10:28 AM   #26
rashmi.raj

Liked: 1 Time

Wait is everyone supposed to get an email? I didnt