MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Some Practical, First-Hand Advice for Incoming Engineering Students @ Mac Forthex Academics 56 04-16-2010 06:59 PM
Upper Engineering Students, I Need Your Advice and Opinion (everyone is welcome tho) Daman K First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 01-07-2010 06:57 PM
Advice for First Year Engineering Students zoyy First Year Success 17 06-25-2009 03:01 PM
Engineering advice: What kind of marks should I aim for? kenvin100 Academics 4 09-05-2008 10:27 AM

Advice for Engineering 1

Old 08-17-2010 at 03:04 PM   #1
DarthFuzzy

Liked: 7 Times

Advice for Engineering 1
So I just saw my schedule, and it looks hectic! I was wondering how you senior engineering students got through this with your sanity intact. Like how did you manage to keep up a social life with all these courses, plus the work?
Old 08-17-2010 at 03:39 PM   #2
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

lol I dunno. Everything seems to go fine if you just do the homework for each class.
Old 08-17-2010 at 03:50 PM   #3
Sasha

Liked: 8 Times

Dude just do your homework and go to class. I didn't do phys or math for the first semester and got kinda raped by it. So do that and you'll be fine
Old 08-17-2010 at 04:26 PM   #4
VastHorizon
Elite Member

Liked: 128 Times

Just don't skip classes and do all the work (sample tests, CAPA, etc.).

Friday nights are the only "social time" you have.

Focus and don't base your performance on what the class average is. Aim higher.
Old 08-17-2010 at 04:27 PM   #5
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

go to class, do the assignments that are worth marks. forget about the rest. There is more time than you think. Also, look out for big eng parties after major tests . Ultimate de-stresser

ThagsanaR says thanks to qwerty91 for this post.
Old 08-17-2010 at 05:44 PM   #6
kkkristen

Liked: 5 Times

make sure you have a life outside of your classes. Whether its just hanging out in rez, being a part of a club/team, or going out for weekly karaoke, leave yourself time to breathe, and relax a little bit. I would have died if I wasn't involved in something other than my classes.

Another thing is to make sure that you do keep on top of your homework, but once again, don't freak out completely. don't beat yourself up for not finishing the homework the day that it's assigned, just make sure that you don't get too behind. I made sure I was caught up by the Monday of the next week, it helped to stay ontop of things.

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask, I'm just going into second year right now, so I know what its like to be in first year

ps.. discover the eng lounge, aka the BLUE lounge. JHE 121. Couches to sleep on, other eng people to talk with, and if you ever need help, just go in there an ask an upper year
Old 08-17-2010 at 05:51 PM   #7
mudathto

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthFuzzy View Post
So I just saw my schedule, and it looks hectic! I was wondering how you senior engineering students got through this with your sanity intact. Like how did you manage to keep up a social life with all these courses, plus the work?
Do ALL your work. Once you fall behind, you're 100% screwed. And for social life, enjoy your Friday nights (and if you manage to magically free up your Friday mornings/afternoons, you might enjoy Thursday as well). But yeah, if you do your work and don't party everyday of the week, you -should be- fine.
Old 08-17-2010 at 05:52 PM   #8
mudathto

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty91 View Post
go to class, do the assignments that are worth marks. forget about the rest. There is more time than you think. Also, look out for big eng parties after major tests . Ultimate de-stresser
CAPPA isn't worth much but at least try to do part of it. Also, the eng parties suck...
Old 08-17-2010 at 06:20 PM   #9
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudathto View Post
CAPA isn't worth much but at least try to do part of it.
Not doing CAPA = failing Physics 1D03 and 1E03
Old 08-17-2010 at 06:25 PM   #10
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Not doing CAPA = failing Physics 1D03 and 1E03
Well, not true, but you wont exactly do too well either.

Best advice is take it 1 day at a time and try not to fall too far behind. You WILL fall behind eventually, but try your best to catch up/leave it very minimal
Old 08-17-2010 at 06:29 PM   #11
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Oh, and I should have mentioned. No matter how hard you try, you will always be behind in math.

Just make sure to get all the homework out of the way before the tests though, and you should be good .
Old 08-17-2010 at 06:33 PM   #12
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

i considered CAPA a marked assignment. For me it may have very well been the most important assignment because the tests reflected capa so much. I, however, found doing math textbooks problems (or any textbook problems) completely useless. Better to spend time doing the sample tests slowly, understanding each question. But each of has has our own methods.
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-17-2010 at 09:15 PM   #13
DarthFuzzy

Liked: 7 Times

alright I see, that sorta calmed my nerves
why again do I have to do a Math test during frosh? It seems like such a buzz kill!
Old 08-17-2010 at 09:21 PM   #14
kkkristen

Liked: 5 Times

the math test is something that we've all had to go through, don't worry about it too much though, it's not for marks.
the questions are pretty basic, and I'm pretty sure we got a letter about it in my year explaining that it isn't necessary to study for the test, its just for the profs to have an idea as to where everyone's math levels are at.