MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Seeking advice from anyone in upper-year Materials and/or Society! Entropy Academics 8 06-13-2010 12:36 AM
Some Practical, First-Hand Advice for Incoming Engineering Students @ Mac Forthex Academics 56 04-16-2010 06:59 PM
Academic Advice from the UPPER YEAR STUDENTS' is needed! ishk33 Academics 23 08-25-2009 09:23 PM
Advice for First Year Engineering Students zoyy First Year Success 17 06-25-2009 03:01 PM

Upper Engineering Students, I Need Your Advice and Opinion (everyone is welcome tho)

Old 01-06-2010 at 09:08 PM   #1
Daman K

Liked: 0 Times

Upper Engineering Students, I Need Your Advice and Opinion (everyone is welcome tho)
Hey everyone,

I have failed Math 1Z04, but the prof is willing to give me permission to stay registered in Math 1ZZ5. However, he says that the chances of passing would be slim to none. Also I will have to acknowledge that I have been warned that I might end up with two F's (one for Math 1Z04 and 1ZZ5) permanently on my transcript.

He also says that past experience shows that when people take 1ZZ5 after failing 1Z04 that it normally takes them a month or two to realize that they can't pass Math 1ZZ5. During that time the marks in all their other courses will suffer due to the time spent trying to pass Math 1ZZ5. This could result in even more F's on your transcript.

Still, he will still give me permission as long as I understand this warning.

So what are your opinions and advice on this? Should I take the risk, or instead take summer school? What should I do?

Thanks,
Old 01-06-2010 at 09:38 PM   #2
dragonfly

Liked: Liked 2 Times

You could just take them both in the summer? I'm pretty sure they usualy run both of those courses because a lot of first year engs end up taking them.

That way you could redo 1Z04 first, and then move on to 1zz5. Although they do cover the material quicker in the summer, you only have to focus on the one course at a time.

If you feel like you're going to fail 1ZZ5 without passing 1Z04, this is what i'd recommend because 1 fail is better than 2, and i don't think it would matter for getting into a second year program as long as you pass the courses in the summer.
Old 01-06-2010 at 09:42 PM   #3
Daman K

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly View Post
You could just take them both in the summer? I'm pretty sure they usualy run both of those courses because a lot of first year engs end up taking them.

That way you could redo 1Z04 first, and then move on to 1zz5. Although they do cover the material quicker in the summer, you only have to focus on the one course at a time.

If you feel like you're going to fail 1ZZ5 without passing 1Z04, this is what i'd recommend because 1 fail is better than 2, and i don't think it would matter for getting into a second year program as long as you pass the courses in the summer.
Yep, both courses are offered during the summer, and I was thinking of taking them in summer at first too.
Old 01-06-2010 at 09:44 PM   #4
slx4

Liked: 4 Times

you need to ask yourself, "how much effort did i put in into 1z04?" and that will ultimately determine where to go next. if you feel like you slacked off, never did the suggested problems, looked at the solutions only to figure out the answers from the sample tests, then you might wanna just do 1zz5 now and see how you do if u actually study. if not then summer school might be a better idea. 1zz5 is the same format: lecturing, suggested problems, sample tets, midterms/final good luck. PS, the mcmaster math tutors offering free tutoring for all first yera math courses and last year they usually had review sessions before each midterm. i found them to be pretty helpful
Old 01-06-2010 at 09:49 PM   #5
Ender

Liked: 30 Times

It depends on your other marks aswell. Were you doing relatively well in all your other courses or were your struggling and didn't end up with very good marks? Also how did you do on the tests/exam for Math 1Z04. Was it the material you just didn't understand or were you not putting in alot of effort?

I was in the same situation as you last year and decided to just take both maths in the summer. It was the right decision in my case since I was kinda struggling with keeping up with all the courses and ended up really enjoying term 2 way more than term 1 just because I didn't have math 1zz5 to worry about. At the same time though thats part of your summer gone but I found I really appreciated the math more so then in the fall since I could do the homework at a steady pace and understand it fully. This is better in the long run instead of cramming it into your head since you need the material for later years. Another thing to consider is the difficulty of Math 1ZZ5. IMO Math 1ZZ5 was easier than Math 1Z04. It just made more sense to me lol.

Good luck!

Last edited by Ender : 01-06-2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-06-2010 at 09:54 PM   #6
Daman K

It seems like summer school is best option, thank you everyone
Old 01-06-2010 at 09:58 PM   #7
Vic.And

Liked: 2 Times

the math covered in 1ZZ5 isn't directly dependent on the stuff from 1Z04, so like the poster above said, it will depend on the effort you put in...just a heads up that 1zz5 is more work than 1z04, (not necessarily harder though)
Old 01-06-2010 at 11:19 PM   #8
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

It sounds like Childs hasn't changed a bit. =p

Just remember that no matter what you do, a five-unit course is over $1000 of tuition. Not something you want to throw away that easily.

Also keep in mind that there's huge potential to up your average and entrance "points" for your second-year program. I'm not sure if it would apply for a summer course, but realize that getting a 12 in 1ZZ5 would net you 60 points. This is equivalent to getting a 20 in a three-unit course.

I was aware of this, and...I didn't do too well, but you might be able to.
Old 01-07-2010 at 07:06 AM   #9
benjs

Liked: 7 Times

Just to let you know, if you're in the same situation as I was last year, I did poorly in 1Z04 (received a 4), and got an 11 in 1ZZ5. It's a completely different kind of learning, I found, and can be taught more through hard work, with far less abstract concepts.
Old 01-07-2010 at 07:34 AM   #10
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

I found 1ZZ5 much better than 1Z04, and the materials was different (i found) and if you put the effort and work in (like you would for any eng. course) you will do fine.
Old 01-07-2010 at 07:49 AM   #11
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjs View Post
Just to let you know, if you're in the same situation as I was last year, I did poorly in 1Z04 (received a 4), and got an 11 in 1ZZ5. It's a completely different kind of learning, I found, and can be taught more through hard work, with far less abstract concepts.
I second this. Had plenty of friends who performed better in 1ZZ5 than 1Z04(and a few who didn't). I went from 9 (series saved my ass) to 11 (mildly disappointed I didn't get a 12). I found it a LOT easier, work ethic will make the course IMO. That, and lots of memorization of integrals. And lots of work. I found it to be easier, it is just getting the stuff down pat so you don't waste time doing basic stuff on tests.
Old 01-07-2010 at 06:57 PM   #12
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

Convince childs, buy him some coffee and everything will be settled.