MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying textbooks from upper year students msms First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 09-12-2010 11:23 AM
Seeking advice from anyone in upper-year Materials and/or Society! Entropy Academics 8 06-13-2010 12:36 AM
Average for upper year students into residence AnnaWM Residence & Housing 10 06-12-2010 01:03 PM
Upper Engineering Students, I Need Your Advice and Opinion (everyone is welcome tho) Daman K First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 01-07-2010 06:57 PM
Easy Summer Orientation Program: Upper-Year Volunteers Needed!! lorend MacInsiders Announcements 4 05-08-2009 12:26 PM

Academic Advice from the UPPER YEAR STUDENTS' is needed!

Old 08-20-2009 at 04:29 PM   #1
ishk33

Liked: 12 Times

Academic Advice from the UPPER YEAR STUDENTS' is needed!
hey,

I'm a second year honours of life sci student. I was wondering if taking 4 courses per sem would be a good idea? plus I can do 2 other courses in summer term? I am afraid about my average. Is this a good idea?

I need some serious advice from the upper year students. I did e-mail the academic advisor but NO REPLY :(

I would be very grateful if the upper year students could give me their opinion on this.
Old 08-20-2009 at 04:31 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishk33 View Post
hey,

I'm a second year honours of life sci student. I was wondering if taking 4 courses per sem would be a good idea? plus I can do 2 other courses in summer term? I am afraid about my average. Is this a good idea?

I need some serious advice from the upper year students. I did e-mail the academic advisor but NO REPLY :(

I would be very grateful if the upper year students could give me their opinion on this.
You should make sure the courses you are taking in summer are electives (in case they are not offered) and you should make sure that it's been offered in summer school before (basically asking other students).
Old 08-20-2009 at 04:34 PM   #3
ishk33

Right..how do I check that?
Old 08-20-2009 at 04:37 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Right..how do I check that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
you should make sure that it's been offered in summer school before (basically asking other students).
Are you referring to that?
Old 08-20-2009 at 04:41 PM   #5
ishk33

Sorry about that...yes I'm referring to that..
Old 08-20-2009 at 04:44 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Asking other students, you can use this forum.
Old 08-20-2009 at 04:46 PM   #7
saukalra
Elite Member

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
The courses that were offered in Summer 2009 are still available on the master timetable. This may give you an idea of which courses would possibly be offered in the next summer .
https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mtt/

ishk33 says thanks to saukalra for this post.
Old 08-20-2009 at 04:47 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by saukalra View Post
The courses that were offered in Summer 2009 are still available on the master timetable. This will give you an idea of which courses would possibly be offered in the next summer .
https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mtt/
Oh that's a good idea. But I think it's still a good idea to ask students because they would know the courses that were offered for many years (more chances of being offered next summer).

ishk33 says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-20-2009 at 05:21 PM   #9
ishk33

quick question...I am kind of indecisive right now...but I need to pay my tution fees by september 1st. I am planning on seeing an academic advisor, which is possible only after 5th september....as i'm an international student and not in Canada till then. I have registered for 5 courses per term...so that's like 30 units for a year.

Will I get my money back if I drop two courses...one from each semester...later? but before the drop/add date?
Old 08-20-2009 at 05:22 PM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
quick question...I am kind of indecisive right now...but I need to pay my tution fees by september 1st. I am planning on seeing an academic advisor, which is possible only after 5th september....as i'm an international student and not in Canada till then. I have registered for 5 courses per term...so that's like 30 units for a year.

Will I get my money back if I drop two courses...one from each semester...later? but before the drop/add date?
Yes, you will get a full refund if you drop the courses before the drop/add date (Which is Sept 21st for term 1 and term 3 courses and Jan 13th for term 2 courses)

ishk33 says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-20-2009 at 05:29 PM   #11
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

This is how you can check if a course was offered in a summer before.
Under quick links, click course evaluation.
Select a department (eg. biology) then click department. Then select the course in particular and click course. This shows the reviews from students (like those end of term survey) and organizes them into when the session was.. so you can have an idea if the course was previously offered in the summer.
Old 08-20-2009 at 05:34 PM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
This is how you can check if a course was offered in a summer before.
Under quick links, click course evaluation.
Select a department (eg. biology) then click department. Then select the course in particular and click course. This shows the reviews from students (like those end of term survey) and organizes them into when the session was.. so you can have an idea if the course was previously offered in the summer.
How was back does it go? I can't access anything on there right now :S
Old 08-20-2009 at 06:15 PM   #13
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
How was back does it go? I can't access anything on there right now :S
hmm it's not working for me now.. the last time I checked was earlier this summer for the course bio 2c03 and it went up to 2007 or 2006. Some profs don't release the reviews though b
Old 08-20-2009 at 08:41 PM   #14
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

I found second year easier than first year.

Take a full course-load (30 units total). You'll do fine.

ishk33 says thanks to Lois for this post.
Old 08-24-2009 at 12:52 PM   #15
anubhagat
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus View Post
I found second year easier than first year.

Take a full course-load (30 units total). You'll do fine.

I agree. Second year really was a lot easier than first...I contemplated taking 4 courses/semester as well but decided against it just b/c i'd rather spend summer working...but, in my opinion, theres no harm in 4 courses/sem as long as

a) you're not going out of your way to come to mac just for summer school
b) you're sure that the course is offered during the summer

ishk33 says thanks to anubhagat for this post.