MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Seeking advice for second year economics jordko Academics 4 08-19-2010 04:17 PM
Upper Engineering Students, I Need Your Advice and Opinion (everyone is welcome tho) Daman K First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 01-07-2010 06:57 PM
Upper year residence smiles Residence & Housing 14 11-22-2009 01:13 PM
Academic Advice from the UPPER YEAR STUDENTS' is needed! ishk33 Academics 23 08-25-2009 09:23 PM
Seeking Chem/Mech Eng Advice JokrJon Academics 3 03-21-2009 06:47 PM

Seeking advice from anyone in upper-year Materials and/or Society!

Old 06-10-2010 at 02:09 AM   #1
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Seeking advice from anyone in upper-year Materials and/or Society!
micadjems and ingenieur.xo, I had you two in mind but if anyone else is able/willing to contribute, that's fine too.

I'm in sort of a dilemma, but I'll try to explain it quick.

I'm entering Level III Materials and Society (with Business minor!) this fall. Basically, without trying to sound vain, the way my schedule is currently arranged, I believe my term 2 is much too easy.

I'm not particularly smart nor do I have anywhere near a high CA, but it just seems wrong to have only five courses, and only be worried about two of them.

Currently, I'm in:

Chem Eng 2A04 - Heat Transfer
Commerce 2KA3 - Info Systems
Engineer 3PM3 - International Project and Supply Chain Management
Materials 2D03 - Solution Thermodynamics
Materials 3F03 - High-Temperature Materials Production

The two that might be hard are 2A04 and 3F03. I can't imagine Info Systems being any form of difficult, 3PM3 seems manageable, and while I admit 2D03 is a repeat course, I plan on attending lectures this time around, so combined with my previous knowledge I should manage that fine.

As a result, I want to add a sixth course but I'm having trouble deciding which, so I was hoping someone could help me. I'm stuck between:

Eng Society 3X03: Monday nights, 19:00-22:00
Materials 3E04: Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays at 8:30, tutorials Wednesdays at 14:30
Materials 3Q03: Mondays and Wednesdays at 8:30, Fridays at 10:30

There's my current timetable (disregard Commerce 2BC3 though).

I'm somewhat leaning towards Eng Society 3X, but the only thing about it is that it's a night class and since I live on the mountain, transportation could take a long time since past 10:00, buses up only come every half an hour.

But then again, I'm definitely not a morning person either, though if one of the Materials courses is recommended I shouldn't have too hard a time waking up for them at least once a week. =p

Also you might have noticed my timetable's a little different than what I'm "supposed" to be taking, but I've tried to optimize my next few years in the interest of easiness. I could elaborate if one is interested but it doesn't really pertain to the topic at hand.

So...yeah. Any advice to offer? Comments on the courses or anything? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-10-2010 at 03:32 AM   #2
Krusenik
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

your semester looks quite fun.
Old 06-10-2010 at 06:57 AM   #3
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

K personally I would say take the society night class because whether you take it this year or you take it another year, it's always going to be a night class so if that's the only problem then for sure go with that.
Chem Eng 2A04 is a time consuming course to say the least, I just had it last semester. Matls 3F03 is not very hard at all. We had tutorial work, a couple assignments and one test (might have been 2 tests, I can't remember for sure even though I just took it). I found 3F03 to be pretty easy, in my personal opinion. It's a fun course too, I found.
Taking the 6th course in your terrm 2 is definitely doable. Night class would be good since you would still have later mornings instead of starting at 830 and you would have mroe breaks.
If you take either 3E04 or 3X03 I'll be in your class!!

Entropy says thanks to ingénieur.xo for this post.
Old 06-10-2010 at 08:11 AM   #4
Matt Wright

Liked: 54 Times

3X03, at least this year, was far from being time consuming. The breakdown was participation (20%), essay (50%) and group presentation (30%). All the marks came at the end of the year, and none of the material from class played into the essay or presentation. You barely had to show up at all to get a 15% for participation.

Entropy says thanks to Matt Wright for this post.
Old 06-10-2010 at 09:27 AM   #5
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

I've had a couple terms where I've done only 5 courses.. once I ended up with no class on fridays. that was nice. Anyhow, if you really want to get ahead it will lighten up future years so.. good idea! I'm taking 6 and 6 i think this year... and im taking one in the summer now! crazy.

Eng Society 3X03: Monday nights, 19:00-22:00
I've had so many society night classes its ridiculous, not sure if theyre going to change this, like Alyssa said. It's a nice little kick back class, as most society classes, you take it in and enjoy, besides a couple big projects. I'd say yeah, sure, go for it!

Materials 3E04: Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays at 8:30, tutorials Wednesdays at 14:30
Mass transfer right? I took it this year... you need 3I03 to do it, that crazy math course.... so you have to have that first, but youll take that term 1 yeah? Anyhow, it's pretty tricky, lots and lots of assignments, and will be LOTS more work. I'd probably recommend you wait.

Materials 3Q03: Mondays and Wednesdays at 8:30, Fridays at 10:30

Haven't taken it, but again, its a more technical course that will likely have you learning a lot of new things and have lots of work.

... I recommend society The new prof for it, this last term that we had, had to also travel back to I think Toronto at the end of class and often ended class at 9:30 or so, so he could catch the bus.. so that might happen for you too.

Good luck!

Entropy says thanks to micadjems for this post.
Old 06-10-2010 at 11:52 AM   #6
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Awesome, thanks everyone. I'm now in 3X03.

I've actually taken 1AA3 already and I'm doing 2P04 now. If I've planned this out correctly, I'll have only 32 units in level IV and 29 in level V.

And Krusenik, when you take out 2BC3, that's actually a pretty light timetable, relatively speaking. =p

Last edited by Entropy : 06-10-2010 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-10-2010 at 12:58 PM   #7
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
Commerce 2KA3 - Info Systems
... is this one of those "intro to microsoft word hurrrrr" courses?
Old 06-10-2010 at 01:12 PM   #8
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
... is this one of those "intro to microsoft word hurrrrr" courses?
Eng 1D04 is a listed prereq, but I think that's just there to give it a sense of class since an alternate prereq is Multimedia 1A03:

Students will be introduced to the history, theory and design of digital technologies for multimedia. This course is designed to help students better understand and participate in today’s digital society.

One lecture (two hours), one tutorial; one term

Also:

wtf @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Mah
I think that I indicated that I would need to check into that possibility.
It is not for me to say that I could grant you permission (only instructors
can grant permissions).

Upon checking into this, with our Undergraduate Advisor, Dr. Tony Petric and
Dr. Irons, the general policy is that it is not possible for you, or any
other student, to take courses for which you do not meet the prerequisite.
Occasionally and very rarely, a student might get a waiver of a
prerequisite, but there would need to be extenuating circumstances.
especially since when I asked last month she said there certainly wouldn't be any problems regarding the failure of 2D03 and the effects on the courses it's a prereq for. :(

Last edited by Entropy : 06-10-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 06-13-2010 at 12:36 AM   #9
MacEng

Liked: 125 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
Eng 1D04 is a listed prereq, but I think that's just there to give it a sense of class since an alternate prereq is Multimedia 1A03:

Students will be introduced to the history, theory and design of digital technologies for multimedia. This course is designed to help students better understand and participate in today’s digital society.

One lecture (two hours), one tutorial; one term

Also:

wtf @

especially since when I asked last month she said there certainly wouldn't be any problems regarding the failure of 2D03 and the effects on the courses it's a prereq for. :(
That's lame... half the class failed 2D :(