MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
First Year Summer Orientation Program cjdzl First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 06-24-2010 04:15 PM
Easy Summer Orientation Program Registration Available lorend MacInsiders Announcements 20 07-01-2009 09:52 PM
Summer Orientation Program Guides new first year students! Lizz87 MacInsiders Announcements 1 06-24-2009 09:38 AM
Easy Summer Orientation Program 2008 hello395 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 07-02-2008 05:27 PM
Easy Summer Orientation Program lorend ARCHIVES 24 06-25-2008 08:56 PM

Easy Summer Orientation Program: Upper-Year Volunteers Needed!!

Easy Summer Orientation Program: Upper-Year Volunteers Needed!!

By DANIELLE LORENZ, FYEO STUDENT PROGRAM COORDINATOR

Are you a student in second, third or fourth year, or
a recent graduate of McMaster? Are you working part-time hours or taking summer school and thus have some time you can volunteer? The First Year Experience Office (FYEO) is looking for volunteers for their Easy Summer Orientation Program and would really like your help!

This is the FYEO’s second year running the program, although the name has been changed from Summer Orientation Days which was used last year. The program focuses on getting incoming first year students oriented to the academic side of life at McMaster. There are five sessions for students and one for parents offered through our office, in addition to the sessions being offered through the faculty offices.

We need volunteers to help first year students and their parents register, direct them to the appropriate rooms where their sessions are taking place, and act as monitors for the Transition Activity. There is also a good possibility that you will be talking to students and parents on a one-on-one basis about life as a student at McMaster as well (it happened to me last year when I volunteered).

The days of Easy Summer Orientation Program are July 2nd- 4th, July 7th-10th, and July 17th, 2008. The schedule varies each day, but no day starts before 8:00am and none finish past 5:00pm. However, if you have other commitments, you can come for half a day if it works out better for you (8-12 or 12-5). Even coming for one or half a day would really be a big help!!

For volunteering on these days, lunch will be provided for you by the First Year Experience Office. It should also be noted that a dress code does apply for these days. You will be provided with an Orientation polo shirt to wear the day(s) you are volunteering.

More information about the schedule can be found on the July calendar of the FYEO website.

We need students from all faculties, and even if your faculty does not have a session on that day we still would like your help! Remember, orientation at

McMaster is about inclusivity! (Which means no spatula comments!!)

More information on the volunteer position is available from the Leadership Positions page on the FYEO website, here. It explains the dress code and other essential information.

If you would like to participate please email me the following:
  • Your first and last name
  • An email address you regularly check
  • Your year
  • Your academic program
  • Days and times you would be available to help
  • Examples of how you have illustrated leadership and/or volunteered while a student at McMaster
If you have any additional questions about the Early Summer Orientation Program or the volunteer positions, please contact me at [email protected] .com.
Published by
MacInsiders VP

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 06-13-2008 at 01:03 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Year: Alumni
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
*update*

I'm still looking for volunteers!

Here are the specific times:
Wednesday July 2nd
8AM-4PM
Session I: 8AM-12PM
Session II: 12PM-4PM

Thursday July 3rd
8AM-4:30PM
Session II: 12:30PM-4:30PM

Friday July 4th
8AM-4:30PM
Session II: 12:30PM-4:30PM

Monday July 7th
8AM-4PM

Tuesday July 8th
8AM-4PM

Wednesday July 9th
8AM-4PM

Thursday July 10th
11AM-4PM

Thursday July 17th
12PM-5PM

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 06-17-2008 at 08:35 PM   #3
deadpool
X-Man
Program: Fighting
Year: Other

Liked: 394 Times
If I sign up, can I get my planner polo?
Old 06-17-2008 at 10:19 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Year: Alumni
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
Uhhh...

Are you coming to volunteer or get your polo?

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-08-2009 at 12:26 PM   #5
thatdudeukno

LOL. You gotta be careful with these free loaders.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search