MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Year Summer Orientation Program cjdzl First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 06-24-2010 04:15 PM
Easy Summer Orientation Program Registration Available lorend MacInsiders Announcements 20 07-01-2009 09:52 PM
Easy Summer Orientation Program: Upper-Year Volunteers Needed!! lorend MacInsiders Announcements 4 05-08-2009 12:26 PM
Summer Orientation Program? Sync First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 07-01-2008 11:04 PM
Easy Summer Orientation Program lorend ARCHIVES 24 06-25-2008 08:56 PM

Easy Summer Orientation Program 2008

Old 07-01-2008 at 10:09 PM   #1
hello395

Easy Summer Orientation Program 2008
What actually happens at the Easy Summer Orientation Program? Is it just to let students and parents know how to keep focused on academics (i.e. decision making and goal setting, as it says in the outline)? Or will it be more of an introduction to the university (i.e. how the classes will be, methods of evaluation, etc)? Because I've registered for the orientation, however, I'm not quite sure if I'll be able to make it on time or at all; and I wanted to know what really I'll be missing, if anything.

Also, I've registered for the Easy Summer Orientation Program and on the Registration Confirmation page, it said that an email will be sent to the email address I provided, but I haven't yet received an email regarding this. I do have the outline of the session since I printed out the Registration Confirmation page, but I'm not sure if the email confirmation is required.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 07-01-2008 at 10:15 PM   #2
dragonfly

Liked: Liked 2 Times

I didn't get an email either. I'm kind of concerned. However i think it may be because the system automatically listed the McMaster email address as the main one, and mine isn't set up yet. I put my own as the secondary, but nothing has been sent to it yet.
Old 07-01-2008 at 11:02 PM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Oookay. I'm the FYEO's Program Coordinator, so I can answer your questions...but quickly...cuz I need to be at work early in the morning.

I haven't seen all of the content for the presentations, as I've been doing other things for the program. But it is a mixture of both of the things you mentioned. There is the actual "practical" things you mentioned, letting you know the differences between academics in high school and university. Unfortunately each disipline in each faculty has a different way of evaluating its students, so the examples given are general. There are also sessions on learning to set goals, and why this is important why in university (because trust me...it's important...I wouldn't have a 20k piece of paper if it wasn't).

Most, if not all of the content is supposed to be going up on the FYEO website shortly if you are unable to make it.

The emails are a few days delayed. The server has been overloaded due to all of the registrations, so they aren't going out as quickly as initially planned.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-01-2008 at 11:32 PM   #4
hello395

So, is it alright if I can't make it at all?
Also, can you post up the FYEO website on which I can expect to find the orientation information? Thanks.
Old 07-02-2008 at 05:09 AM   #5
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

If you can't make it it's fine. In an ideal world everyone could come, but obviously not everyone can...there are people from other provinces and countries, as well as those who work full time!

The website is: http://fye.mcmaster.ca/ if you look at the navigation bar on the lefthand side, there are two things already posted: the life mapping and goal setting information. There is more to come!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-02-2008 at 08:38 AM   #6
dimoxyel
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 7 Times

I'm glad to hear that its more about goal-setting and university life... Going off of my Grade 9 Orientation, I was expecting games involving a mix of flour and baking water being dumped on my back as I crawled through part of an obstacle course. (Not that it wasn't a fun event... But my orientation is in the morning, and I'd rather not be a human pancake for my academic advising session)
Old 07-02-2008 at 12:11 PM   #7
Mr.Prodigy

Liked: 43 Times

I have a question: I have the Summer Orientation Program & the Information Session on July 3rd. I also plan on taking my photo taken for the Mac Student Card too on the same day. Do I have to bring any documents with me (Offer of Admission, etc etc?)
Old 07-02-2008 at 05:18 PM   #8
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

If you want to submit your new student form, bring that. Also, if there is info needed in the new student form (SIN number, drivers licence, birth certificate etc) bring that too.

It's been four year since I filled one of them out, so I admit I have nooo idea what you need for them anymore.

Old 07-02-2008 at 05:27 PM   #9
Sarah13

Liked: 11 Times

Faculty Day is when you get to do all that fun stuff, dimoxyel. Just wait .