Code Black! Scuderia General Discussion 4 09-28-2010 09:32 PM
Blackberry help..? Kathy2 Computers & Tech 16 03-22-2010 10:54 AM

Blackberry Code Readers

Old 03-04-2011 at 02:48 PM   #1
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Blackberry Code Readers
I got back into the Blackberry world today. This time, I'm interested in the bar code reading software. I am wondering if there is an app that can be downloaded, which reads barcodes, but does not have to access the internet to provide an answer, or even more details?

This may require an answer from someone who knows more about what's behind the barcode. Is it a bunch of 1's and 0's that references a database, or is the bar code itself, directly convertable to information like price/name or anything else?

I don't have data for the crackberry, but I'd like to install a barcode app to be able to read barcodes randomly without having data usage.

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2011 at 02:52 PM   #2
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

edit: forget my original post

I imagine that they would need internet access to tell you prices are the barcode is hooked up to each stores own database of prices, however you should be able to at least get some item information through some apps as the barcode has a universal system:

However this may not actually tell you much unless the app downloads a database of some kind...

Last edited by REPLEKIA/. : 03-04-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-04-2011 at 04:22 PM   #3
murgling

Liked: 20 Times

It's called a QR Code.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QR_Code