MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Effects of Caffeine on the Body ksterne Food & Meal Plans 41 09-25-2010 05:14 PM
Want to win $50 to Mac's Athletic Centre? Design a Poster about Body Image! Annie Clubs & Groups 1 02-07-2010 01:14 PM
SFWR ENG 2GA3 - The Digital Image Ownaginatios 2nd Year Course Reviews 0 12-29-2009 02:05 AM
MMEDIA 1B03 (The Digital Image)...any thoughts? gcruz91 General Discussion 10 07-17-2009 02:04 AM
Body Art Series Pt1: Tattoos kokosas Misc 8 06-30-2008 09:18 AM

Body Image Issues

Old 08-27-2010 at 01:37 PM   #1
Anonymouse

Liked: 0 Times

Body Image Issues
Hi all,

I'm curious to know if people out there stuggle with body image issues or know someone who's dealing with body image issues. I think it's good to talk about these issues and share experiences.
Old 08-27-2010 at 01:46 PM   #2
rebeccaaa

I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to. But I've have BDD (body dysmorphic disorder) and an eating disorder for over 6 years. If you need someone to talk to, I'm here. If this wasn't what you were looking for then I'm sorry, lol!
Old 08-27-2010 at 01:50 PM   #3
Anonymouse

Hey rebeccaaa,

Yeah, that's along the lines of what I was referring to. Thanks for being brave enough to post . That's really encouraging.
Old 08-27-2010 at 01:56 PM   #4
rebeccaaa

No problem

If you're looking for help or treatment, Mac has a lot of resources that I've found helpful. You can go to the CSD for someone to talk or, or the doctors in the clinic as well can just be there to support you medically. They've referred me to a outpatient treatment program at St. Joe's in Hamilton, so they really do help!

If you're looking for someone to talk to or just share experiences with, I don't mind giving you my email, or you can send me a private message
Old 08-31-2010 at 09:50 AM   #5
Anonymouse

Hi all,

Just to clarify, I specifically want to find out if there are minority women out there struggling with body image issues.

Thanks.
Old 09-03-2010 at 07:37 AM   #6
theGoblin

Liked: 1 Time

mmmm well I'd say I'm concious about my form but not in the classic 'fit into society' or vain 'must look amazing' way, so I wouldn't classify it as 'issues' per say.

I'm into body building, taking care of one's form, health and interface, and I experiment a lot with my hair. Not necessarily due to insecurity or anything like that, but I have certain goals I set to myself for my own self-image. Though I don't endorse vanity or succumbing to social pressures regarding looks, I do believe everyone should really take care of their bodies and presentation, because your interface does influence how you interact with the people around you and how you feel about yourself. Personally, I think of my body as a canvas. When I experiment with things like body building and hair styles (afros, braids, perm etc.) I do it because I'm creating something based off an idea I think is cool, not to go with the trend. It's pretty healthy if you value your form for the right reasons imo.

/end rant

the Goblin
Old 09-03-2010 at 08:13 AM   #7
rebeccaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by theGoblin View Post

I do believe everyone should really take care of their bodies and presentation, because your interface does influence how you interact with the people around you and how you feel about yourself.
It's pretty healthy if you value your form for the right reasons imo.

I don't see how that's something helpful to say to someone who potentially has an eating disorder.
Old 09-08-2010 at 11:37 PM   #8
emlyly

get a PULSE membership
Old 09-13-2010 at 09:15 PM   #9
Anonymouse

@ theGoblin: Thanks for taking the time to actually respond in a thoughtful way. Unfortunately, I'm trying to narrow in on a very specific demographic (minority women). That doesn't mean that I don't acknowledge the fact that men also deal with body image issues, although traditionally this hasn't been identified. We've all got body image issues that we're dealing with when it comes down to it. Do any of your female friends (keep in mind, minority) talk about similar issues? I'd love to talk to you if that's the case and see what we can make of that.

@ emlyly: What a useless comment. This isn't a matter to be taken lightly, so I would advise that you don't post anything at all unless it's something worthwhile. Body image issues and eating disorders are highly common, especially amongst university students.