MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boston Pizza Night for Charity! **jewel 03** MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-31-2012 06:30 PM
Boston Pizza asood Restaurants & Food Reviews 22 05-03-2011 12:07 AM
[email protected] MAC Boston Pizza Celebrity Servers Event goleafsgo13 MacInsiders Announcements 7 11-10-2010 08:33 PM
Boston Pizza End Of Year Member Meetup A Success! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 05-03-2010 08:03 PM

Boston Bombing

Old 04-15-2013 at 09:05 PM   #16
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
no, im talking about the social media thats goin nuts right now, ppl feeling all sorry and shit and they should but it gets sad to see how everyone here neglects other places. no one cares about problems unless its in their face. im just stating that its disappointing that we are like that and we make it seem as if only westerners lives are of value. media is pretty bias when it comes to this shit, and if bombings happened in boston every day they would prob stop being shown because all westerners would be in danger lol.
Its a bit different when its our neighbouring country that gets attacked, as opposed to some country on the other side of the world. Its not that we care less about the other people, but attacks like this that are close to home are more likely to affect us than the daily bombings that occur in the middle east

airvcarmelo, naval23 like this.
Old 04-15-2013 at 09:17 PM   #17
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

naval23, Zebedee like this.
Old 04-15-2013 at 09:27 PM   #18
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
Its a bit different when its our neighbouring country that gets attacked, as opposed to some country on the other side of the world. Its not that we care less about the other people, but attacks like this that are close to home are more likely to affect us than the daily bombings that occur in the middle east
ehh i wouldnt say that is the reason we care more about it. its not really a good reason anyways. it has to do with ignorance, media bias and bias on social sites (twitter, fb, reddit, etc) who only mention this kinda stuff. social media on the internet is meant to be a worldwide thing right? even those things will mainly go crazy over stuff like this and neglect those in areas much worse off so your 'close to home' reason isnt really good imo. glad to hear what u think.
Old 04-15-2013 at 09:51 PM   #19
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 201 Times

I replaced the video with the full one, with great quality, instead of whatever garbage I got from the Hamilton Spectator.

lizziepizzie

Kinda stupid to post that, there are people getting killed in US-Mexico border all the time, there have been over 5 shootings in the past couple of months alone. and this makes you sad?

You are a hippocrate.
Old 04-15-2013 at 09:54 PM   #20
Chris23
Account Locked

Quote:
ehh i wouldnt say that is the reason we care more about it. its not really a good reason anyways. it has to do with ignorance, media bias and bias on social sites (twitter, fb, reddit, etc) who only mention this kinda stuff. social media on the internet is meant to be a worldwide thing right? even those things will mainly go crazy over stuff like this and neglect those in areas much worse off so your 'close to home' reason isnt really good imo. glad to hear what u think.
oh good now i dont feel bad thinking your opinion is childish. if you watch actual worldwide news broadcasts rather than LOCAL or NATIONAL news stations, i does make sense why news in your own country is more of a priority.

airvcarmelo likes this.
Old 04-15-2013 at 10:02 PM   #21
Silver
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
oh good now i dont feel bad thinking your opinion is childish. if you watch actual worldwide news broadcasts rather than LOCAL or NATIONAL news stations, i does make sense why news in your own country is more of a priority.
i can see you were trying to make a statement but it failed miserably. recollect ur thoughts then reply pls. i dont understand what youre tryin to argue. im talkin about exposure falure and media bias but u come here makin 0 sense like always.
Old 04-16-2013 at 01:31 AM   #22
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

Quote:
why dont ppl ever say 'omg im disgusted with the 15 bombings that happened in middle east right now'. obviously this boston thing is bad too but it gets kinda disappointin when american stuff gets mentioned so much. is this part of human nature? pretty sad ppl we r to only show that we care about shit that happens in the western world.
I get what you're trying to say, but you're stretching your argument pretty thin.

It has to do with the frequency of the violence. If bombs have gone off for the past 14 days in the middle east, is it internationally newsworthy when a 15th goes off? And when was the last time Boston was bombed?

Of course Western news outlets are going to cover terrorism in Western countries rather than those in war-stricken developing countries, i don't know why anyone would expect anything else. There are war crimes being enacted as you read this, there's no possible way EVERYTHING in every country can be publicized by the same news source.

Snowman likes this.
Old 04-16-2013 at 01:32 AM   #23
ta2012

Liked: 36 Times

baddie arrested
it was a saudi arabian man who was captured on scene
Old 04-16-2013 at 01:48 AM   #24
Silver
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaptation View Post
I get what you're trying to say, but you're stretching your argument pretty thin.

It has to do with the frequency of the violence. If bombs have gone off for the past 14 days in the middle east, is it internationally newsworthy when a 15th goes off? And when was the last time Boston was bombed?

Of course Western news outlets are going to cover terrorism in Western countries rather than those in war-stricken developing countries, i don't know why anyone would expect anything else. There are war crimes being enacted as you read this, there's no possible way EVERYTHING in every country can be publicized by the same news source.
i was gettin pissed at my fb and twitter feeds because the ppl postin about it do have access to everything anyways. i am not talking about western news anyways even though it is a part of it. its just annoying seeing this shit happen in greater volume and frequency to other people all over the world and we get so surprised and sentimental when it happens here. as an american whos family still pays tax dollars to the usa, i get annoyed that that money is going to a military that causes so much damage that people here are insensitive to but go nuts when it happens here to even 1 person. its just how i feel
Old 04-16-2013 at 03:07 AM   #25
naval23

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
why dont ppl ever say 'omg im disgusted with the 15 bombings that happened in middle east right now'. obviously this boston thing is bad too but it gets kinda disappointin when american stuff gets mentioned so much. is this part of human nature? pretty sad ppl we r to only show that we care about shit that happens in the western world.
That's like saying to someone, your mom died, well you know what, it doesn't matter, people's moms die all around the world everyday. You can't compare people's lives and people's deaths, everyone is loved by people, attached to people. Someone grieving in Boston is not meant to take away from the importance of other people who are dying in the world, and have you actually done anything about the middle east issues? If you have, good on you for being an activist, if not, then this isn't the opportunity to mention it, don't dehumanize this issue. You can't expect people to find the issues you find important as important , that doesn't mean people don't care about what's going around the world, but they may personally connect with this incident more.

Watoko likes this.
Old 04-16-2013 at 03:49 AM   #26
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2012 View Post
baddie arrested

where did you hear that?
when I watched the news at 11 (last press conference before 9am this morning) they said that any reports of them having a suspect were false.

Quote:
"At an initial news conference, Boston Police Commissioner Edward Davis said authorities had received "no specific intelligence that anything was going to happen".

He urged people to stay indoors and not congregate in large groups.

At a second conference he said the death toll now stood at three. He said that no suspects were in custody."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22160691 (from my understanding this article is being updated with any new information as soon as it comes out. last update was at 11pm EST)

Last edited by anon491 : 04-16-2013 at 03:51 AM. Reason: adding source
Old 04-16-2013 at 06:12 AM   #27
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2012 View Post
baddie arrested
Source? Anything I've seen says he was arrested but it isn't confirmed he was involved; he was nearby when it went off or something and got injured.
Old 04-16-2013 at 06:14 AM   #28
ta2012

Liked: 36 Times

Something is not right.
Some news reports were saying that a Saudi Arabian man is held in custody but they can't figure out which hospital he's at.
Other reports are saying they dont have a suspect yet.

Does it really take this long for fbi to confirm the truth?
And this mysterious Saudi Arabian guy came outta nowhere.

Now im thinking it might be the N. Koreans who might have done something like this. Theyre saying yesterday was the leader's birthday or something.
If it's true US might be hiding this fact because if they declare a war on N. Korea, their country will come to an end and the 2 Koreas have to merge.
Im sure they dont want that.. in the end its the US that separated S. and N. Korea
Old 04-16-2013 at 09:14 AM   #29
Chris23
Account Locked

Quote:
i was gettin pissed at my fb and twitter feeds because the ppl postin about it do have access to everything anyways. i am not talking about western news anyways even though it is a part of it. its just annoying seeing this shit happen in greater volume and frequency to other people all over the world and we get so surprised and sentimental when it happens here. as an american whos family still pays tax dollars to the usa, i get annoyed that that money is going to a military that causes so much damage that people here are insensitive to but go nuts when it happens here to even 1 person. its just how i feel
Your arguement is completely backwards. Based on your logic, if bombings like this are less frequent here than in other parts of the world, then of course we are going to have more of a reaction when it does happen here. You can keep reading your updates on the latest in the middle east, forgive us for caring more about events that have a greater effect on our personal lives. The proximity of where this happened makes it more likely to affect us than the events on the other side of the world

anonanon987 likes this.
Old 04-16-2013 at 12:04 PM   #30
lalalola2011

Liked: 4 Times

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 907238_10201010614452819_1014612565_n.jpg (25.9 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by lalalola2011 : 04-16-2013 at 12:09 PM.