MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bed size in dorms LindsayL216 Residence & Housing 2 08-12-2011 05:55 PM
Apartment/Suite vs Traditional summercandy Residence & Housing 11 12-01-2010 08:04 PM
What to bring!? Leeoku First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-26-2010 08:11 PM
Printers Allowed in Dorms? Woohoo92 Residence & Housing 9 08-19-2010 07:04 PM
Extra Long Beds in the dorms? Danielle.g First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 07-31-2010 08:26 PM

What to bring to traditional dorms

Old 08-16-2012 at 08:57 PM   #1
smallthings

Liked: 1 Time

What to bring to traditional dorms
Do I need to bring a water filter if I don't want to buy bottled water?
Also do I new a printer? I'm a life sci student so would I havta print lots of lecture slides and it'd be better if I had my own?

Any suggestions of what else I should bring? Odd items you forgot maybe.. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-16-2012 at 09:00 PM   #2
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Yes, bring a water filter. Bottled water is a waste of money. Yes, buy a (LASER) printer. Might cost more up front but you'll save tons on what you would end up spending on ink cartridges.
Old 08-16-2012 at 10:06 PM   #3
janinew

Liked: 0 Times

Definitely need a printer. Go for the water filter so long as you have a mini fridge rented. Dont bother bringing a fan, not enough room to place it/use for it.
Old 08-19-2012 at 04:58 PM   #4
Mac-10

Liked: 17 Times

COND iments. Just incase your burger is bland
Old 08-19-2012 at 05:50 PM   #5
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

laser printer, new lamp, better chair if you don't like it, kettle, water filter, sheets/blanket, duster, paper to line the cupboard, hangers, ill add more later
Old 08-19-2012 at 06:05 PM   #6
Sabid

Liked: 20 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-10 View Post
COND iments. Just incase your burger is bland
Practice safe lunch.

People often forget necessary toiletries. Bring a caddy to carry all your toothbrush, paste, etc. from your room and back. I'd also recommend a robe and flip-flops for the showers. Can't remember the number of times I'd see floormates, dripping wet, hurriedly walking down hallways, clutching a wrapped towel against their waist.
Old 08-19-2012 at 08:30 PM   #7
Arisu4

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
laser printer, new lamp, better chair if you don't like it, kettle, water filter, sheets/blanket, duster, paper to line the cupboard, hangers, ill add more later
if we bring our own chair, can we have the one which is in the room stored somewhere in the residence? (also, would we have to bring the chair on move in day, or later, since from what I heard it should all be in boxes)

for the kettle, are we allowed to use it in our room or do we need to do it in the kitchen area (I am asking because I'd like to bring my blender, which would qualify as a kitchen appliance)

and on a side note, are we getting instructions about how exactly move in day works? where to enter, etc.?

thanks!
Old 08-19-2012 at 10:08 PM   #8
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arisu4 View Post
if we bring our own chair, can we have the one which is in the room stored somewhere in the residence? (also, would we have to bring the chair on move in day, or later, since from what I heard it should all be in boxes)

for the kettle, are we allowed to use it in our room or do we need to do it in the kitchen area (I am asking because I'd like to bring my blender, which would qualify as a kitchen appliance)

and on a side note, are we getting instructions about how exactly move in day works? where to enter, etc.?

thanks!
Most likely nowhere to store the chair that comes with the room (unless things have changed since I was in residence). I only knew two people who brought their own chairs, and one of them took the other chair home and brought it back at the end of the year, and the other person just had two chairs in their room, which was convenient for when people would visit.

For the kettle, you're not technically allowed to use it in your room, but everyone does anyways. The reason you can't is because of the fire hazard, so I don't think a blender falls into the same category. There is information about rules and whatnot on the housing website and you'll also be told and get a copy when you move in. They may or may not send out an email beforehand containing this information as well.

And yes, you will be given move in day instructions.

Arisu4 says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 08-20-2012 at 12:03 AM   #9
apples12

Liked: 91 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabid View Post
Practice safe lunch.

People often forget necessary toiletries. Bring a caddy to carry all your toothbrush, paste, etc. from your room and back. I'd also recommend a robe and flip-flops for the showers. Can't remember the number of times I'd see floormates, dripping wet, hurriedly walking down hallways, clutching a wrapped towel against their waist.
Your CA and SHEC will be able to give you some free COND iments