MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where Is My Student Card -_- enarab First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-16-2011 11:41 PM
Get Swabbed! Just Broke the World Record wfingrut MacInsiders Announcements 0 11-02-2010 11:26 PM
Student Card syan9184 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 10-07-2009 09:43 PM
McMaster Student Card = GO Transit Student ID (2009) goodnews.inc MacInsiders Announcements 10 09-01-2009 01:55 PM

Broke My Student Card

Old 09-10-2011 at 11:01 PM   #1
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Broke My Student Card
Don't ask how I managed to do this.

Anyways, I know its $30 if you lost your card but I remember (or at least I think I remember) reading something about it being free (sounding more and more far-fetched as I write this) if you broke it or if it was damaged.

Any ideas? I have another card (don't ask how I managed to do that either) but if it's free I'd like to have two cards rather than one in case I misplace or forget one at home.
Old 09-10-2011 at 11:05 PM   #2
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

I got a new card free because they noticed that the laminate wore out and the picture was fading.

My assumption is that if it doesn't look like it was done intentionally you could probably get a new one free.

Edit: You have two *working* student ID cards? o_O

RememberTwce says thanks to JEFF_CHAN for this post.
Old 09-10-2011 at 11:06 PM   #3
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwce View Post
Don't ask how I managed to do this.

Anyways, I know its $30 if you lost your card but I remember (or at least I think I remember) reading something about it being free (sounding more and more far-fetched as I write this) if you broke it or if it was damaged.

Any ideas? I have another card (don't ask how I managed to do that either) but if it's free I'd like to have two cards rather than one in case I misplace or forget one at home.
I'd take the thing to GH and see what they can do... if they try to charge you say you gotta go get your wallet or something...

I wanna say you get one free replacement but I think I'm confusing it with something else.

RememberTwce says thanks to britb for this post.
Old 09-10-2011 at 11:11 PM   #4
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF_CHAN View Post
I got a new card free because they noticed that the laminate wore out and the picture was fading.

My assumption is that if it doesn't look like it was done intentionally you could probably get a new one free.

Edit: You have two *working* student ID cards? o_O
Lol I'm kinda worried they're gonna think I did this on purpose. It was cracking a little bit from the side then it slowly spread until 3/4 of the card was broken. Then I just tore the rest off.

Last year, right before semester one exams, I lost my student card and had to pay for a new one. I ended up finding it a few days later in my friend's car so for the rest of the year I had two working cards. I kept one in my bag and one in my wallet and it was really convenient because I always end up forgetting stuff at home before midterms/exams.
Old 09-10-2011 at 11:14 PM   #5
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Odd, I would think they'd deactivate a card that was lost or something.

Although it does work out for you in the end =/
Old 09-10-2011 at 11:16 PM   #6
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF_CHAN View Post
Odd, I would think they'd deactivate a card that was lost or something.

Although it does work out for you in the end =/
Well they probably did deactivate it.

I live at home and never used it for anything other than a bus pass and identification for exams so I guess it only "worked" for my purposes.

Last edited by RememberTwce : 09-10-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 09-10-2011 at 11:17 PM   #7
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwce View Post

Last year, right before semester one exams, I lost my student card and had to pay for a new one. I ended up finding it a few days later in my friend's car so for the rest of the year I had two working cards. I kept one in my bag and one in my wallet and it was really convenient because I always end up forgetting stuff at home before midterms/exams.
haha same thing happened to me the day before the first chemistry midterm. I couldn't find it anywhere and got a new one the next morning. Then two hours before the test looking through the textbook and there it was! lol Never would have been able to find it otherwise. I kept the old one in my pencil case for exams and the new one in my wallet. Too bad we can't do that this year cause of the old sticker...! Unless...haha

RememberTwce likes this.
Old 09-11-2011 at 04:57 PM   #8
ChuckD

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
I'd take the thing to GH and see what they can do... if they try to charge you say you gotta go get your wallet or something...

I wanna say you get one free replacement but I think I'm confusing it with something else.

If you get locked out of residence, you can borrow a res key once for free. I don't believe it is the same with the student card.
Old 09-11-2011 at 05:21 PM   #9
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I think if you take a broken/worn off card to the Registrar, they replace it for free. If you lost your card, you have to pay $30.

(I think)

RememberTwce says thanks to Kathy2 for this post.