New Dell XPS -- Shipped Broken Theashe Computers & Tech 9 08-11-2010 11:38 PM
laptop lock for rez cjdzl Computers & Tech 6 07-22-2010 07:35 PM

Broken Bike Lock, What Do?

Old 01-03-2011 at 02:32 PM   #1
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Broken Bike Lock, What Do?
So on my very last exam my bike lock key broke into two while I was trying to open it. It is the only pair I own so essentially my bike is stranded while locked on campus.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do next? I heard Security office takes away bikes that have been locked in a certain place for a long time so should I contact them?

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 01-03-2011 at 02:40 PM   #2
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
So on my very last exam my bike lock key broke into two while I was trying to open it. It is the only pair I own so essentially my bike is stranded while locked on campus.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do next? I heard Security office takes away bikes that have been locked in a certain place for a long time so should I contact them?
Probably, they might be able to cut it for you, depending on the lock type.
Old 01-03-2011 at 02:43 PM   #3
Jman.

Liked: 14 Times

If it's not a U-lock, get a big pair of bolt cutters and cut it loose. If it is try consulting google, there's usually sites or forums around picking locks. If you can actually see the bit that snapped off, try sauldering it to another piece of metal and turning it? I have no idea if that will work though I don't see why it wouldn't.
Old 01-03-2011 at 02:47 PM   #4
hampire

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Go see security services. They should be able to send you in the right direction.

I have seen physical plant employees cut locks off for people - AFAIK you'll need to provide ID, so they have a record just to cover their own butts.
Old 01-03-2011 at 02:47 PM   #5
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Personally, I would try to steal my own bike, just for fun... but that may not be the best idea if theres a good samaritan nearby
Old 01-03-2011 at 02:48 PM   #6
huzaifa47

It's a cheap Chinese Ulock that I bought from MacCyle. However there is a further complication, this last key that I had had some deformation that caused it to not work that well during winters(or even randomly). I broke it during the process of trying to get it open(Locking it in the first place had taken me quite a few attempts). So the soldering option is out.

Old 01-03-2011 at 02:49 PM   #7
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

shoot it with your pistol like in the movies

9mm should do

Old 01-03-2011 at 03:06 PM   #8
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Protip: The correct way your thread title should have been written is "Broken bike lock. wat do."

Not 'what do', 'what do?', 'wat do?' or "What do I do?" - just simply "wat do." No capitalization.

It's one of the greatest philosophical questions of our time.

/meme police

L'Étoile, m0ns13ur like this.
Old 01-03-2011 at 04:50 PM   #9
Wadooda

Liked: 0 Times

Super glue the key
Old 01-05-2011 at 08:46 AM   #10
CrashPlague
Gravity is Just a Theory

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
It's a cheap Chinese Ulock that I bought from MacCyle. However there is a further complication, this last key that I had had some deformation that caused it to not work that well during winters(or even randomly). I broke it during the process of trying to get it open(Locking it in the first place had taken me quite a few attempts). So the soldering option is out.
MacCycle ****ing sells locks now?

since when! Goddamn, this probably would have saved me the trouble of having to retrieve the shitty bike I repaired every time some drunkard stole it :/

[/rant]
Old 01-06-2011 at 04:40 AM   #11
huzaifa47

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashPlague View Post

since when! Goddamn, this probably would have saved me the trouble of having to retrieve the shitty bike I repaired every time some drunkard stole it :/

[/rant]
I bought it quite a while ago, Maybe Fall 2009? It was also cheap for $13, though I should have probably spent a bit more money and wouldn't have ended up with broken keys/faulty lock mechanics.

You can guy a good/more expensive one at the Bike Shop in King Street in Westdale across Metro. (I think it was 35 or 39)

Old 01-06-2011 at 08:55 AM   #12
jajas
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 49 Times

Quote:

[/rant]

DUDE Macycle has been selling bike locks for the past 2 year for sure. If you didn't buy a lock and you had your bike stolen that is your problem. There is CanadianTire in Dundas and they sell bike locks. There is a Sport Check in Ancaster and they sell over priced bike locks, so you have no excuse.
Old 01-06-2011 at 08:57 AM   #13
jajas
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
I bought it quite a while ago, Maybe Fall 2009? It was also cheap for $13, though I should have probably spent a bit more money and wouldn't have ended up with broken keys/faulty lock mechanics.

You can guy a good/more expensive one at the Bike Shop in King Street in Westdale across Metro. (I think it was 35 or 39)
Don't buy a U-lock. Buy a chain which has a combination lock built-in with it. If Water gets into the lock and freezes you are royaly screwed.

Otherwise carry a propane tank and a lighter with you.
Old 01-06-2011 at 12:40 PM   #14
CrashPlague
Gravity is Just a Theory

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajas View Post
DUDE Macycle has been selling bike locks for the past 2 year for sure. If you didn't buy a lock and you had your bike stolen that is your problem. There is CanadianTire in Dundas and they sell bike locks. There is a Sport Check in Ancaster and they sell over priced bike locks, so you have no excuse.

Well, the bike didn't cost me anything so really I incurred no loses, I wasn't really trying to complain, haha. Just kinda surprised someone would take such a shit bike (which had no breaks btw)

And when this was all happening we didn't have any locks at the shop unfortunately.
Old 01-06-2011 at 01:50 PM   #15
jajas
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Well, the bike didn't cost me anything so really I incurred no loses, I wasn't really trying to complain, haha. Just kinda surprised someone would take such a shit bike (which had no breaks btw)

And when this was all happening we didn't have any locks at the shop unfortunately.
Did you try walking up and down the road ? Because he couldn't have got too far without any brakes

My bad I thought you were complaining