MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bunk assignment leemeiying Moulton Hall Forum 22 08-26-2010 09:19 PM
Moutlon Hall Loft and Bunk -- Pictures? Theashe Moulton Hall Forum 9 07-24-2010 10:28 AM

bunk and loft

Old 06-23-2010 at 05:56 PM   #1
The Effekt

Liked: 3 Times

bunk and loft
can anyone tell me about their personal experience living in a bunk and loft, or if you know someone who lived in one, how they found it? thanks
Old 06-26-2010 at 04:26 PM   #2
LindsayD

Liked: 1 Time

It really all depends on how compatible you and your roommates are and how well you do living with others. I didn't live in one, but a few of my friends did. One of my friends hated that one of her roommates kept bringing friends back to the room since they would stay really late and she wouldn't sleep much, but that's just her roommate. She would have had that problem in a double or apartment as well. My other friends didn't seem to mind it that much. Just make sure that if you have problems or pet peeves, just discuss them with your roommates when you make your roommate agreement and everything should be alright. =)
Old 06-26-2010 at 05:25 PM   #3
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

A few of my friends lived in them, and they said the only problem was that there was ALWAYS someone around--alone time was pretty rare. If you get used to that, or find other quiet places on campus for some 'alone' time, you should be fine
Old 06-26-2010 at 08:00 PM   #4
Cristina_n13

Liked: 23 Times

I personally lived in a bunk & loft room and before moving in I thought i would completely hate it. I loved it though. The first day I met my roommates, we all got along really well, we went out for dinners together, hung out during Welcome Week together etc. It was like having 2 best friends right off the bat.
As the school year went on, we all started to drift a little. One of my roommates was in the same program as me and we'd get a little competetive so we tried to avoid talking about marks and school. We realized we had different study techniques and couldn't study together. I did most of my studying in the room, while she went to the library.
Our other roommate, was barely there. She'd come home ever so often and let us know she's alright.
Our sleeping schedules were also completely different, (ie. I went to bed at 12ish and woke up at 7, one went to bed at 1ish and woke up at 5:30-6am ish, and the othr went to bed at 6am and woke up at 3pmish.) but it never bothered us, we also made rules such as whenever 1 person is sleeping, the main light remains off (really important to make rules when your CA gives you your roommate agreement!!! As much as you'll be like, "oh we love eachother and will never drift" it may happen, and when it does you have it written on paper what shall be done). We also tried to be considerate of eachother and talked quietly on the phone, use headphones in our laptops, and put the phone ringer volume to the lowest incase it rang while someone was sleeping. We got annoyed at eachother sometimes but then laughed about it later (ie. one of my roommates' alarm clocks kept going off, and my other roommate got annoyed and went and put it on snooze. this repeated 2-3times during the day - it was quite hilarious)
There were times that no one was in the room for a few days (mainly weekends/exams) I actually found that during exam time I had the room to my self for75% of the time. It was really nice.

We actually became really close friends through the nights that we stayed up late and just talked about the randomest things. We're still close now.

I'm so glad I was in a bunk & loft room.

The Effekt says thanks to Cristina_n13 for this post.

Geek likes this.
Old 06-26-2010 at 09:48 PM   #5
t3hbovinator

Liked: Liked 3 Times

I was in a bunk and loft and absolutely loved it. I was incredibly scared as to how it would work out because I really do enjoy my peace and quiet, but by the end of the year I absolutely loved my roommates. It does take some getting used to, and you really need to be contentious of each other with friends and sleep schedules and whatnot, but by the end of it I made two really great friends. I had other friends who it didn't work out as well for them, but there are a bunch of places around campus where you can go if you need to be alone to study or whatever.
Best of luck!
Old 06-26-2010 at 10:00 PM   #6
dynamix

Liked: 0 Times

The biggest thing was probably the lack of privacy in the room as mentioned before. This is probably the major difference with double vs bunk/loft and the thing you'll miss the most.

Also, there might be differences in sleeping patterns. One of my roommates and I had a very similar sleeping schedule but the other girl was a night person. So that caused some problems because she would either have her lamp on until late (and my other roomie was really sensitive to light...) or came back at like 3 in the morning.

Space wasn't a problem for me personally but having an extra person in a room can really add to the clutter.

In spite of those problems, we got along really well. I was pretty lucky though and we were really accomodating with each other so it worked out. Ultimately, it will really depend on who you're rooming with and how well you can compromise. You'll probably want to make sure you make use of the roommate agreement. (Although my roomies and I didn't.. lol)
Old 07-18-2010 at 03:04 PM   #7
chistes

Liked: 0 Times

I have a bunk and loft next year as well. Is there lots of space? IS it bunk beds, or just elevated beds with desk space underneath? I've seen pictures of both.
Old 07-18-2010 at 03:23 PM   #8
ayiri

Liked: 7 Times

A bunk and loft room is a bunkbed (for 2 ppl) and loft, which is a desk with an elevated bed right above it. The people in the bunk have their own seperate deskspaces as well. In terms of there being lots of space, lets just say theres enough to survive , and some rooms vary. For example in Moulton, a corner bunk and loft room will have more space than a regular hall room.
Old 07-18-2010 at 03:24 PM   #9
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

It depends on the kind of bunk and loft. Most are a bunk bed and then a single elevated bed with a desk underneath. But for some of the quad bunk and lofts, it is four elevated desks.

I also lived in a bunk and loft, but only with one person.

My roommate and I didn't get along at all. Most of the time she pretended I wasn't there, so she courteousness in every possible way. She also didn't socialize on our floor (or the building, for that matter), so even the CAs had no idea who she was.

That being said, I was alone for a lot of the time. And when I wanted to avoid my roommate, I'd hang out in the common room or in other friends' rooms. Or in random places on campus.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-18-2010 at 03:31 PM   #10
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Effekt View Post
can anyone tell me about their personal experience living in a bunk and loft, or if you know someone who lived in one, how they found it? thanks
I lived in a bunk and loft in Moulton in my first year and my experience was very similar to Cristina_n13's. I loved my roommates and we basically live together even now.
However, sharing a pretty small room with two girls can be trying, at the best of times. There's lots of potential for conflict, like study habits, sleeping habits, visitors, comfort levels with alcohol etc, but I found that because we were such good friends we were able to sort things out much easier and not let little things blow up into giant coflicts.

I went in to first year hoping to survive the experience but I found my self really enjoying it. I'm glad I had a bunk and lof in my first year, but things can and probably will get rocky at least once. Just remember that while its nice if you can all be good friends, you're not obligated to bend over backwards and compromise to someone else all the time. Put your foot down right at the beginning about things that really bug you (e.g. food lying around, overnight guests, etc) and make sure your roommates do too, so that issues like that don't snowball and make your res-experience rocky.