MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
requirements for med school kwyhan Academics 3 09-14-2010 10:58 PM
Honours requirements? justinsftw Academics 3 08-22-2010 11:56 PM
Language course requirements? Flag Academics 1 11-22-2009 02:00 PM
course requirements for med school nadia1 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 07-07-2009 02:35 PM
Understanding Course Requirements FlyWithMac Academics 16 06-29-2008 08:44 PM

Business I Requirements

Old 05-27-2010 at 08:03 AM   #1
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Business I Requirements
I'm having trouble figuring out if I have completed courses from the international menu and if they count toward my degree. The requirements for Business I look different from when I was in 1st year and it says that these requirements are effective 2010-2011... so does that mean it only applies for the business students coming in september or does it change for everyone?

Anyways, it says:

3-6 units: course list 1 below
3-12 units: electives (and I need 2 classes from the cross-cultural list to graduate)

Course 1 list:

ANTHROP 1A03
GEOG 1HA3 (or GEO 1HS3), 1HB3
HLTH AGE 1AA3 (HEALTHST 1A03)
HLTH AGE 1BB3 (GERONTOL 1A03)
POL SCI 1G06
PSYCH 1X03 (or 1A03)
RELIG ST 1B06
SOCIOL 1A06

Cross-cultural menu says:

All Anthropology courses except ANTHROP 1A03 if completed as part of the Business I requirements.

All Political Science courses, except POL SCI 1G06, 3F03, 3FF3, 3S03, 4O06

All courses in the Faculty of Humanities open to Commerce students, with the exception of all Multimedia courses, PHILOS 2N03 and English courses other than those listed below.

Since I took Anthro 1A03, Psych 1x03, and polisci 1G06, have I completed all the requirements (the 1st year requirements and the 2 course from the crosscultural menu requirement)

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 05-27-2010 at 08:17 AM   #2
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

If it says it's effective 2010-2011, I'm pretty sure it should only affect those who are in first year during 2010-2011, and not everyone in the program. My program was altered as well while I was in it, and when I asked my department (or some authoritative office), they said I only needed to fulfill the lesser of the requirements.

For you,
Course list 1 fulfillment: Psych 1X03
Cross-cultural fulfillment: Anthro 1A03 and Poli Sci 1G06

So I would say you've fulfilled the requirements, although I don't understand why it says "3-6 units of Course list 1". Are you eventually supposed to take 6 units or are you only allowed to take up to 6 units?
Old 05-27-2010 at 08:29 AM   #3
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

How do you find out what the requirements were when you entered university? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

See, I was thinking more the Poli Sci would apply to the Course List requirements and the Anthro and Psych would apply to the cross cultural menu... I'm just confused as hell about the wording for the anthro requirements. >_< And I think the Psych is a humanities course so it would apply to the crosscultural menu as well.

/brainhurts.

Old 05-27-2010 at 10:04 AM   #4
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
How do you find out what the requirements were when you entered university? I can't seem to find it anywhere.
Look at the calendar from the year you entered

Quote:
See, I was thinking more the Poli Sci would apply to the Course List requirements and the Anthro and Psych would apply to the cross cultural menu... I'm just confused as hell about the wording for the anthro requirements. >_< And I think the Psych is a humanities course so it would apply to the crosscultural menu as well.

/brainhurts.
Last time I checked, Psych 1X03 and Sociology 1A06 aren't in the menu
(which pissed me off because those were the two I took in first year and if I had *just* taken Geo or Anthro instead of Socio...)

And yeah, no, I'm *pretty* sure Psych isn't humanities...
Old 05-27-2010 at 10:04 AM   #5
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Just look at an old undergrad calendar. It's on the Office of the Registrar website...

Quote:

/brainhurts.
First of all, psych is not a humanities course. It can only be considered a socsci or a science course. But you can use it to fulfill your first year Course List 1 requirement.

Also, my bad...you can't use Poli Sci 1G06 for the cross-cultural, but I think you could use Anthro 1A03 for the cross-cultural as long as you don't use it as your course list 1 requirement. Basically what they mean is that you can only use one course to fulfill one requirement. If you consider Anthro 1A03 your Course List 1 requirement, you can't use it ALSO for your cross-cultural. However, I think you used it as an elective for your first year requirements so I guess you can't use it for cross-cultural regardless..??

I think you should clarify that anthro thing with your faculty office though because it is confusing...(it could be that you can't use Anthro 1A03 at all to fulfill requirements...??)

EDIT: Sorry for repeating some of what Jeff said above -_-.
Old 05-27-2010 at 10:08 AM   #6
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Oops, thought psych was a humanities. D:

I love wasting money. D:

Old 05-27-2010 at 10:12 AM   #7
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

I liked Psych... |:

I still have to do another course from the menu too. So don't fret, young Lawley, for you are not alone.
Old 05-27-2010 at 10:13 AM   #8
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...08/sec_182.htm
Found it.

So it's 3-6 (wtf does that even mean) units of either psych, anthro, geo, or socio.

Then 3-12 electives and you can choose from the crosscultural menu...So I guess I can use anthro for that if it counts.

So I'm still missing 1. >_< So lame.

This shit's worded so poorly.

Edit: I liked psych too but when I chose these classes 2 years ago I thought I ended up filling out all the requirements (including the CC menu bullshit). I hate ****ing taking classes I don't wanna bloody take.

Edit 2: Language classes are Humanities, right? I'll just take my german then.

Old 05-27-2010 at 10:16 AM   #9
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Quote:
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...08/sec_182.htm
Found it.

So it's 3-6 (wtf does that even mean) units of either psych, anthro, geo, or socio.
Socio is a 6 unit course.
The others are 3.
So essentially the "one course you had to take from those 4" was either 3 or 6 units.

Quote:
This shit's worded so poorly.
You think that's bad? I was halfway through Business Ethics last summer when I got an email that told me I didn't even need to take it. Writing is not one of my strengths.
Old 05-27-2010 at 10:21 AM   #10
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

That 2s3 or whatever? The one that's like, a philosophy course or whatever? Yea, I thought we HAD to take it at first too. Good thing I asked around first. >_< So stupid.

Old 05-28-2010 at 02:48 PM   #11
KayakerDan

Liked: 86 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF_CHAN View Post

You think that's bad? I was halfway through Business Ethics last summer when I got an email that told me I didn't even need to take it. Writing is not one of my strengths.
That's what I thought as well. I was so relived when I found out that I didn't need to take another freakin' Commerce course.
Old 05-31-2010 at 10:38 PM   #12
hollie012

Liked: 2 Times

Hmmmm..

I think you can take a look at your degree audit too! It tells you how many courses you are missing from each year! There are different categories you need to complete and it says it on the bottom of the audit As long as each year it says "ALL CRS REQM SATISFIED" then you should be fine

lawleypop says thanks to hollie012 for this post.