MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AIESEC McMaster only for Business students? Bigmacfatpack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 09-15-2013 09:56 PM
Wassup Business Students [email protected] Introduce Yourself 2 05-23-2013 09:07 PM
Can business students take math 1ls3 dvan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-18-2011 11:07 PM
Business students' minor? xhorizon General Discussion 11 11-25-2009 12:32 AM
GPA for first year business students mac27 Academics 2 11-23-2009 07:33 PM

Business students please help(:

Old 11-29-2013 at 06:52 PM   #1
sidra_

Liked: 2 Times

Business students please help(:
Hi! I'm currently in Grade 12 and I was wondering if I should take data management if I'm deciding to go into business. I have advanced functions and calculus and vectors but I was thinking about taking data management (I dont have data management but I could switch into it). Is Data Management really helpful in business? But the thing is that Data Management is going on at the same time as my Business Leadership class next semester. Business Leadership is my average booster this year and if I take data management my average would go down :( what should i do? It's possible that I could switch into Data Management and take Business Leadership online but I have a very stressful schedule next semester (I have biology, physics and business leadership) so I'm hoping I wouldn't have to do that... So it really comes down to if data management would really help me out in business... should I take Data Management instead of Business Leadership or should I stick to my schedule? Help would be much appreciated
Old 11-29-2013 at 06:58 PM   #2
BrownTown993

Liked: 6 Times

There is a stats course in second year business that really builds off of gr 12 Data management. If I were you I would take Data

sidra_ likes this.
Old 11-29-2013 at 07:07 PM   #3
Brendan

Liked: 13 Times

The skills that you learn in Data Management are needed in upper-year courses. In second-year, you are required to take a Statistics for Business course and in third-year, you are required to take two operations management courses. If you don't take Data Management in high school, you have to take STATS 1L03 in your first year. I didn't take Data Management so I had to take STATS 1L03. I found the course to be relatively easy and some of the first few topics (linear algebra) to be interesting. As well, there was less of a gap between when I took my introductory statistics course and when I took my second-year business statistics course.

sidra_ likes this.
Old 11-29-2013 at 10:52 PM   #4
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 132 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown993 View Post
There is a stats course in second year business that really builds off of gr 12 Data management. If I were you I would take Data
Actually, if you did not take data in high school you need to take an equivalent course at McMaster in first year for Commerce. So it shouldn't actually made a huge difference. I'd say if you're not a math person, it's probably easier learning data in a small classroom in high school. That being said, the equivalent course at university isn't that hard from what I hear so I don't think it's worth changing all your plans now. You will probably do just fine. Lots of students choose that option and do just fine.

shreebee, sidra_ like this.
Old 11-30-2013 at 06:08 PM   #5
kitty1
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidra_ View Post
Hi! I'm currently in Grade 12 and I was wondering if I should take data management if I'm deciding to go into business. I have advanced functions and calculus and vectors but I was thinking about taking data management (I dont have data management but I could switch into it). Is Data Management really helpful in business? But the thing is that Data Management is going on at the same time as my Business Leadership class next semester. Business Leadership is my average booster this year and if I take data management my average would go down :( what should i do? It's possible that I could switch into Data Management and take Business Leadership online but I have a very stressful schedule next semester (I have biology, physics and business leadership) so I'm hoping I wouldn't have to do that... So it really comes down to if data management would really help me out in business... should I take Data Management instead of Business Leadership or should I stick to my schedule? Help would be much appreciated
out of curiosity, if you know you want to go into commerce why are you taking biology and physics?

shreebee likes this.
Old 11-30-2013 at 07:48 PM   #6
shreebee

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie42 View Post
Actually, if you did not take data in high school you need to take an equivalent course at McMaster in first year for Commerce. So it shouldn't actually made a huge difference. I'd say if you're not a math person, it's probably easier learning data in a small classroom in high school. That being said, the equivalent course at university isn't that hard from what I hear so I don't think it's worth changing all your plans now. You will probably do just fine. Lots of students choose that option and do just fine.
this is true, if you dont take either calc or data in highschool you have to take it during first year. so you might as well take both in highschool because then that is one less course you have to pay for and it's just out of the way.
if you decide to take it in university it wont be difficult because it's the equivalent course so it would be the same thing you would learn in grade 12. there are 3 other stats courses you will be taking through bcom at mac.

sidra_ says thanks to shreebee for this post.

sidra_ likes this.
Old 12-01-2013 at 03:18 PM   #7
sidra_

Liked: 2 Times

Thanks you guys so much for you help! i'm glad to know there is a course at Mac for data in case i didnt decide to take it

@kitty1 I'm taking them to keep my options open because i'm also applying to other programs that require me to take the sciences but my mind is pretty much set on business though