MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Food on Campus in the Summer faytless General Discussion 18 04-27-2010 11:51 PM
MSU Initiative: Healthy Food Options @1280/Chip Wagon Matt Wright General Discussion 29 02-11-2010 06:27 PM
Getting Food on Campus; the obstacles aviaf Residence & Housing 48 04-27-2009 02:42 PM

Where to buy healthy food on campus?

Old 09-26-2010
CAHopeful
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 09-26-2010 at 04:44 PM   #16
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nh999 View Post
I just want to clarify that BreadBin is actually a student food drive, specifically for students in need. No offense, but if you're living on residence, you probably have sufficient funds to eat enough, though not necessarily healthily. The Good Food Box is only one of BreadBin's services, in an effort to encourage healthy eating on campus.

That said, it is still a good idea to go for the Good Food Box. The only thing is I think you have to share because it'd be difficult to eat that many fruits and vegetables before it goes bad unless you have a good appetite!
Oh okay, I didn't know that. Thanks! I had just heard about it recently.
Old 09-26-2010 at 04:47 PM   #17
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 416 Times

It's good that my metabolism is of a 10 yr-old. I can eat whatever I want and I almost never shows up anywhere
Old 09-26-2010 at 05:12 PM   #18
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
I'd echo the Subway suggestion- $5 foot longs are pretty reasonably priced in my books.
Boo yah! I lived the $5 footlong Subway diet during those long days on campus.
Old 09-26-2010 at 05:51 PM   #19
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
It's good that my metabolism is of a 10 yr-old. I can eat whatever I want and I almost never shows up anywhere

I actually hate you.

mtam, ThagsanaR like this.
Old 09-26-2010 at 06:09 PM   #20
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

I hate how most of the food on campus makes me feel sick and tired after I eat it. :( That's my huge issue. It's just so bad.
Old 09-26-2010 at 06:23 PM   #21
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo87 View Post
I hate how most of the food on campus makes me feel sick and tired after I eat it. :( That's my huge issue. It's just so bad.

Like Bridges sweet potato fries. I shared some with a friend a while back, and I'll probably only eat them once again this year.
Old 09-26-2010 at 06:57 PM   #22
Afzal
Android Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
I actually hate you.
i could tell you the secret to my metabolism...but now that you hate me, it's no use i guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo87 View Post
the helpings on campus are HUGE!... I almost never was able to finish any food that I bought before I got bored and full. Except of course when i ate rice and fish from the chinese place @ Commons, I absolutely love that fish.

Last edited by Afzal : 09-26-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 09-26-2010 at 07:08 PM   #23
bloodywarz
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 74 Times

hahaha healthy food? at mac? lol hell there is really no such thing. just cook something up is your best choice, but if you want something at mac i guess the closest thing to healthy is pitas at keyes and also subway?
Old 09-26-2010 at 09:43 PM   #24
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

I'm trying so hard to drink mostly water this year. Drinks are so expensive on campus and they'll all so bad for you no matter how good they taste. The ones that are good for you are even more expensive than the regular ones.

I find the new bottle refilling stations are very helpful though. I can bring some water from home in the morning but I can't bring that much and then its gone and I'm still thirsty. I know room temperature water is better for you and I can generally roll with it but sometimes you want a cold drink and I like that I can now get cold water on campus to drink.
Old 09-26-2010 at 10:15 PM   #25
Afzal
Android Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
I'm trying so hard to drink mostly water this year. Drinks are so expensive on campus and they'll all so bad for you no matter how good they taste. The ones that are good for you are even more expensive than the regular ones.

I find the new bottle refilling stations are very helpful though. I can bring some water from home in the morning but I can't bring that much and then its gone and I'm still thirsty. I know room temperature water is better for you and I can generally roll with it but sometimes you want a cold drink and I like that I can now get cold water on campus to drink.
it is? Great! So I drink healthy water

Ish001, resh.jyoti like this.
Old 09-26-2010 at 10:20 PM   #26
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

I suggest buying fresh produce and just cooking for yourself. Can't beat the price or the nutritional value.
Old 09-26-2010 at 10:26 PM   #27
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replekia View Post
I suggest buying fresh produce and just cooking for yourself. Can't beat the price or the nutritional value.
Suggestions like this are good except for the OP and others who live in residence they've already spent thousands on a mandatory meal plan so they need to spend that money and they have to spend it on campus.
Old 09-26-2010 at 10:42 PM   #28
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
Suggestions like this are good except for the OP and others who live in residence they've already spent thousands on a mandatory meal plan so they need to spend that money and they have to spend it on campus.
With prices on campus the minimum 3k will be gone in no time.

I suggest 1 or 2 campus meal a day and cook the rest yourself. Even just cutting back will help. The gain in fat is probably just because you've removed ALL healthy food from your diet. Everything in moderation, after all.

On this note, I've actually LOST 4 pounds since I came to MAC, I mainly eat the pasta from Tomatisso's and teriyaki from the teriyaki experience for my on campus meals.

EDIT: A lot of people also begin to gain weight because university deprives them of physical activity. I'm staying active by going on hikes through the 15+km of trails around Cootes that leave right from campus! (It's amazing how many people don't know that they are there...) Find an activity you love to do and do it often, it'll keep you happy and help you mentally as well.

Last edited by Replekia : 09-26-2010 at 10:49 PM.
Old 09-27-2010 at 07:36 AM   #29
anthony

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
Metabolism isn't dependent on your age.