MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where to buy healthy food on campus? Strategy General Discussion 35 09-28-2010 04:43 PM
Food on Campus in the Summer faytless General Discussion 18 04-27-2010 11:51 PM
Food Services on Campus: Danielle's Favs lorend Food & Meal Plans 5 03-07-2009 11:23 AM

Getting Food on Campus; the obstacles

Old 04-10-2009 at 07:43 PM   #1
aviaf
Richard Cioci

Liked: 50 Times

Getting Food on Campus; the obstacles
Is it just me, or do all the food places on campus conspire against residence people.

Why is there no 24 hour hot food location anywhere on campus for students?

How is it that management at the food locations thinks that students dont need to eat past 8 pm on easter friday?

I'm sorry, but there are so many little problems with food for res people at Mac.
Old 04-10-2009 at 07:51 PM   #2
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

I agree. It sucks hard. But for every place that's open, there are people that have to work, and I think the people who work for the food services on campus have a union or something that would prevent them from having to work on holidays... etc...

Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame.

Have to go all the way to the McDonalds I guess XD
Old 04-10-2009 at 07:55 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Is Subway open today?
Old 04-10-2009 at 09:13 PM   #4
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Why don't you guys just walk off-campus or take a bus somewhere, although... who knows what sorts of places are open. Better stock up on snacks tomorrow.
Old 04-10-2009 at 10:22 PM   #5
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

On Saturdays I leave Mac at 9:30, so if I don't have food in my room I can't eat until I get somewhere off campus (usually the Timmy's on Main or the one in Ancaster)
Old 04-10-2009 at 10:57 PM   #6
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Liked: 78 Times

Tally Ho is open till 3, then the pancake house next door is open at 6.
Old 04-10-2009 at 11:33 PM   #7
aviaf
Richard Cioci

Liked: 50 Times

thank you for all the wonderful suggestions, but what bothers me is that we shouldn't have to go off campus to eat, it's ridiculous.
Old 04-11-2009 at 12:19 AM   #8
sycoman

Liked: 9 Times

I completely agree with aviaf. The only reason im not living on rez next year is becuase of the whole food problem. The biggest problem is that even though common's itself closes at midnight, the pizza/pasta place and couple other places close at around 8ish. I usually eat dinner after that time and the only place I can eat is sizzles or pillers and im getting sick of them. I also think that there should be a place thats open 24 hours since some days im starving at 5am and theres no place to go get food from. Some thing should definately be done.
Old 04-11-2009 at 12:24 AM   #9
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Commons is usually open late... did it close at 8pm today? They should definitely keep it open, as people in res should be able to eat on campus 24/7 as you mentioned.

Subway is open 24/7 across from McMaster, though i'm not sure their hours on holidays. Thats the problem with holidays... you never know whats open and what isn't ;(
Old 04-11-2009 at 01:33 AM   #10
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

Yeah, Commons did close at 8 pm today. As a person who gets the munchies after midnight, I have always wondered why there isn't a 24/7 food service. Hospitality probably thought it over and think there would be staffing issues with that or they just don't think they would profit from a 24/7 food service. I personally think they would profit from such a service seeing as a large number of students stay up after midnight to study or for other reasons. Plus, there's always the intoxicated ones who come back late and want to grab something to eat. I have really been interested in this issue for a while now and I am planning to contact Hospitality myself to find out their reasoning behind this. Even if it's not possible to have a 24/7 food service, there should be a food service on campus that's open at least until about 3 am or so.

Last edited by nino : 04-11-2009 at 01:37 AM.
Old 04-11-2009 at 02:46 AM   #11
Alvand

Liked: 39 Times

I'm not sure about the rest of the holiday weekend, but I know that Commons (and probably MiniMart in Keyes as well) is open until 10PM on Saturday.

For the rest of exam time, Union Market will be open until 12:30 am (8pm on sat.) and House of Games is open until 4am. (go MSU!)

Cootes Paradise Club Leader
MacTV Executive Producer

Last edited by Alvand : 04-11-2009 at 02:50 AM.
Old 04-11-2009 at 05:14 AM   #12
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

I sent an email to Hospitality regarding this and I also suggested the possibility of extending the exam schedule for some of the food services. Students usually study at MUSC and Mills during examination periods and they do get hungry after midnight. If none of this is possible, at least we would know the reason behind it. I'll post an update once I get an email back from Hospitality Services.
Old 04-11-2009 at 08:54 AM   #13
.:callen:.
Student Senator '08-'10

Liked: 24 Times

You should join the IRC's Student Dining Committee next year. All the managers of Hospitality Services (and the Director, Albert) attend this committee and residence students are able to bring up issues and make suggestions.

There's usually a seat for a SOCs member, I'll give you the contact information of the chair once they're elected in August. The committee will start up again in September.
Old 04-11-2009 at 04:13 PM   #14
batman

Liked: 6 Times

They really do need to do something.
I came from a family, where we ate dinner at 9 PM every night, for whatever reason, and I came here and the only way I can get hot food, thats not fried (I'm looking at you Sizzles, you disgusting shithole) is to eat before 730. All things considered its not terrible, but if I eat early, I'm hungry again around 12, and I won't eat then because it's a little unhealthy.

Thanks Commons, for letting me go to sleep hungry every night. I have to eat All Bran bars to get me through it.
Old 04-11-2009 at 05:00 PM   #15
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Here's a new idea:

- Walk off 5-10 minutes off-campus and get food. There's a great selection of food in Westdale (yes, it's only a 10 minute walk from the student centre), there's pre-prepped food at Fortinos.

PROBLEM SOLVED. No wonder why there's the stereotype that people who live in res are lazy.