MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Food on Campus in the Summer faytless General Discussion 18 04-27-2010 11:51 PM
MSU Initiative: Healthy Food Options @1280/Chip Wagon Matt Wright General Discussion 29 02-11-2010 06:27 PM
Getting Food on Campus; the obstacles aviaf Residence & Housing 48 04-27-2009 02:42 PM

Where to buy healthy food on campus?

Old 09-25-2010 at 03:43 PM   #1
Strategy

Liked: 46 Times

Where to buy healthy food on campus?
So I came home today and realized I've gained 5 pounds in 2 weeks.. lol. I mostly eat at Centro and don't buy incredibly healthy things.
So where can I use my meal plan dollars to buy healthy, filling foods? I've heard Bridges is pretty good. (also, where is Bridges located ? )

Also, I'd prefer cheap, but I know that may not be possible. Also, I just bought a gym membership.
Old 09-25-2010 at 03:48 PM   #2
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

You bought a gym membership? Did you know it is free to use the gym at McMaster? Just use your student card.
Old 09-25-2010 at 03:50 PM   #3
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 815 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaltair View Post
You bought a gym membership? Did you know it is free to use the gym at McMaster? Just use your student card.
ummm.... not quite buddy.

Gym memberships cost money.
Old 09-25-2010 at 03:51 PM   #4
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Quote:
You pay for Pulse, the weights/cardio area. Or you could just walk in the back door of it and pay nothing, but that may or may not work all the time.

Old 09-25-2010 at 03:52 PM   #5
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Bridges is in that small building next to Wallingford

You can also get pitas at Keyes. They're pretty filling although the quality of them is dependent on who's making them...

Quote:
Pulse.
Old 09-25-2010 at 03:56 PM   #6
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

subway
Old 09-25-2010 at 04:05 PM   #7
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

http://www-athrec.mcmaster.ca/registration/students.htm

My bad, every registered students have a basic membership. Most of the area are accessible except Pulse.

"A Base Membership provides access to the athletic facilities at McMaster (except the Pulse Fitness Centre and Feather Family Climbing Wall). Base Membership privileges include access to open gym time, indoor track, squash courts, pool, outdoor track, saunas, members rates for instructional programs and use of day lockers."

Interesting!
Old 09-25-2010 at 04:18 PM   #8
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthsci1 View Post
subway
Too expensive!

Farmer's market isn't too bad, but theres only so much you can do with vegetables and fruits..
Old 09-25-2010 at 04:23 PM   #9
amyshi

Liked: 19 Times

Go to Fortinos? You're gonna have to cook your own food but at least you know what's in it.
Old 09-25-2010 at 04:39 PM   #10
etoilex3

Liked: 65 Times

Try to avoid anything fried (which is really difficult, i know, but it goes a long way). Try sandwiches and salads from the IAHS cafe. the non-fried stuff at bridges is relatively healthy (although rumor has it that the chili on flatbread is ridic fattening, but... yeah).

Also try getting fruits and veggies off campus at metro or fortinos.. it'll be fresher and inexpensive.
Old 09-25-2010 at 04:55 PM   #11
doug

Liked: 82 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strategy View Post
So where can I use my meal plan dollars to buy healthy, filling foods?
Haha, you're funny.
Old 09-26-2010 at 01:02 PM   #12
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

On campus, your options are very slim. Bridges is probably the healthiest, but that doesn't say a whole lot. Eating off campus/buying your own groceries are by far the best options.

Fortinos is really close to Mac, its just up Main. I'd heavily recommend it, even if they did stop carrying my favourite veggie dogs. The PC Blue Menu items are all affordable and healthy.

I'd echo the Subway suggestion- $5 foot longs are pretty reasonably priced in my books. Keep in mind though, if you're loading it up with meat, cheese and sauce it can get unhealthy quickly. Try to avoid sauce (or ask for less of it, if you can't live without it), and if you have to eat meat get chicken. Swiss cheese is also the healthiest they have.

Pita pit is another option, they accept your Mac meal plan card, but are a bit more expensive. I haven't tried the on campus pitas, so maybe they stack up favourably. If not, its just a short walk to pita pit! Same advice as subs.

And above all, watch what you drink! Alchohol can be an integral part of your university career, but isn't exactly healthy. If you're drinking sugary coolers or calorie filled beers, that could be part of your problem. Hard liquors are healthier, although if you're mixing you need to watch out for what you're mixing with. Try screw drivers or caesars, instead of say rum and coke.

And on that note, stop drinking pop! Its one of the unhealthiest things you can drink, and its quite easy to drink too much of it if you're buying meals on campus or in resaurants. Juice, water and tea are all healthier choices.

resh.jyoti likes this.
Old 09-26-2010 at 01:17 PM   #13
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

If you sign up for bread bin you'll get lots of great stuff. I think its $12 and then you get $20 of healthy, fresh produce.
Old 09-26-2010 at 02:11 PM   #14
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
If you sign up for bread bin you'll get lots of great stuff. I think its $12 and then you get $20 of healthy, fresh produce.
I just want to clarify that BreadBin is actually a student food drive, specifically for students in need. No offense, but if you're living on residence, you probably have sufficient funds to eat enough, though not necessarily healthily. The Good Food Box is only one of BreadBin's services, in an effort to encourage healthy eating on campus.

That said, it is still a good idea to go for the Good Food Box. The only thing is I think you have to share because it'd be difficult to eat that many fruits and vegetables before it goes bad unless you have a good appetite!

lizziepizzie, resh.jyoti all say thanks to nh999 for this post.
Old 09-26-2010 at 03:06 PM   #15
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
And on that note, stop drinking pop! Its one of the unhealthiest things you can drink, and its quite easy to drink too much of it if you're buying meals on campus or in resaurants. Juice, water and tea are all healthier choices.
On this same note... if you can go without the juice it would be even better. There's a lot of added sugars in juices and even the natural sugars you're better off to get them from the actual fruits than from the juice. I've cut out all drinks other than water in the last couple months and it's actually made me feel a lot better. So just try it out and if you can't do without the juice than just drink it in moderation.

Marlowe says thanks to ingénieur.xo for this post.