MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Where to buy healthy food on campus? Strategy General Discussion 35 09-28-2010 04:43 PM
Food on Campus in the Summer faytless General Discussion 18 04-27-2010 11:51 PM
Getting Food on Campus; the obstacles aviaf Residence & Housing 48 04-27-2009 02:42 PM

Food Services on Campus: Danielle's Favs

Food Services on Campus:
Danielle's Favourite Picks

By Danielle Lorenz

At some point, regardless of if you are living on or off campus, you will become a hungry, hungry hippo, and want to find something to eat. There are sixteen places to eat on campus, all with different menus. I don’t think it is plausible for me to go into depth about all of the food options in all of the locations, so I’m going to mention some of my favorites. Hospitality Services main website is available for you here: http://hospitality.mcmaster. ca/Loc..._Outl ets.htm

Commons Marketplace
If you live in North Quad, this will be your dining location of choice, especially if you are in one of the residences with a tunnel. Because I have some dietary limitations, I found it hard to eat here sometimes. That being said, I did develop a strong affinity to the veggie burger that Sizzles serves, as well as their vegetarian Egg McMaster. My favorite place, hands down to get food was Your Healthy Choice. That was because I could get pasta made with whatever I wanted in it (a variety of veggies, tofu, beans, chicken, lentils etc), but unfortunately due to the price it ate up my meal card dollars very quickly.

The Wokery
Most people have no idea that this place exists. If you go into the basement of Kenneth Taylor Hall (KTH), and sniff around you can find it. Open only for lunch, The Wokery serves a variety of Asian food. I frequented this unit last year to buy stir-fried vegetables and Pocky.

La Piazza

I don’t know if I’m the only person who noticed this, but I found La Piazza to be almost identical to Commons. That being said, I had the same sort of dietary issues here as well. However, the Pizza Pizza served good pizza, and it was very well priced.

Made in Japan: The Teriyaki Experience
This one is pretty straight forward, as it only really sells a few options. I almost always get the tofu yakisoba. Their California sushi rolls are pretty good too.

Tim Horton’s
Again, this one is pretty simple too. I would come here for French Vanilla Cappuccinos, and every once in a while a donut or muffin.

East Meets West Bistro
This was a fair hike when I lived in residence. However, it was really worth it. The food here was always good, as were the cakes. It too ended up being more on the expensive side, but I thought it was well worth the price. From the Asian Wok I would get the fried bananas, Buddha’s feast, and vegetable lo mien. From the Wood Stone Oven I would order the garlic cheese bread, the vegetable or chicken quesadillas, and the quarto fromagio pizza. And from the International Grill I would get the Tomato Gnocchi, or the Greek salad.

bymac

bymac is new this year, so I have not yet checked it out. However, they serve smoothies, so I have a feeling I will be frequenting it somewhat often.

Bridges Café
Lastly, I am going to talk about Bridges. This facility features food that is vegetarian and vegan friendly. I recommend the pasta stir frys, the rice bowls, the falafels, as well as their best menu option: their extremely inexpensive sweet potato fries.

All this talk about food is making me kind of hungry…

hamnahx02, jass, resh.jyoti, sky_xox all say thanks to lorend for this post.
Published by
MacInsiders VP

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 08-30-2007 at 02:44 PM   #2
selvesah
Faculty: Humanities
Year: First

Liked: 0 Times
bymac is good. i got a non-dairy smoothie there when i went to get my pulse membership. very tasty, and if you are with someone else, they will split the smoothie into two cups, which is still a good portion.
yum smoothies...
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 08-31-2007 at 01:51 AM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Year: Alumni
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
Awesome tip!

Thanks!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 09-01-2007 at 04:34 PM   #4
Sanduni
Faculty: Arts & Science
Year: First

Liked: 0 Times
Thanks for the tips!

Old 09-10-2007 at 06:43 PM   #5
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Year: Alumni
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
You're Welcome.

And I definately spent some time with these favourites during Welcome Week this year...

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 03-07-2009 at 11:23 AM   #6
batman
Program: BioPsych
Year: Third

Liked: 6 Times
How exactly is this favourite pick's, this is just everywhere to eat.

Article Tools