MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Textbooks exuberant888 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-15-2010 08:00 PM
Textbooks Qadd Academics 2 08-02-2010 12:19 PM
Want $150 to help pay for textbooks? Chad MacInsiders Announcements 49 03-22-2009 09:32 PM
Why did I even buy some of these textbooks... Ownaginatios Academics 14 12-08-2008 06:53 PM
Textbooks kayleech Academics 16 09-01-2007 04:45 PM

when to buy textbooks?

Old 08-20-2009 at 01:30 PM   #1
cddbc

Liked: 0 Times

when to buy textbooks?
hey im going into engineering 1 and i was wondering should i get my textbooks after classes start like in the first week or before i get to mcmaster?

thanks
Old 08-20-2009 at 01:39 PM   #2
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

It's usually recommended that you wait until a week or so after class has started. The profs will clarify what you actually need in this time.
Old 08-20-2009 at 02:11 PM   #3
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Keep on the lookout for upper years selling 'em too. ;]
Old 08-20-2009 at 03:03 PM   #4
MDCL

Liked: 29 Times

Of course the down side is the following...if, after attending the first lecture, you decide thtat you do really need the text and there are no used texts available from upper years, you will have to queue up in a massive line to get the texts.

Consider the following: texts can be ordered from the bookstore up until Aug 29th and be delivered for $6/kg. Texbooks can be returned for a full refund. So if ya buy the text online and have it delivered, you can return it after a coupla weeks when the lines subside.
Old 08-20-2009 at 03:09 PM   #5
aya017

Liked: 22 Times

I think it's way better to wait after the professors tell you which ones you really need, and then you can find upper years who are selling them (cheaper than Titles).
I don't know, I didn't really need textbooks for the first week of school : ) Maybe mid-2nd week-ish.
Old 08-20-2009 at 03:19 PM   #6
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Some books are definitely necessary though, should we still get it after the first class, or wait (e.g. bio.chem textbook)
Old 08-20-2009 at 03:26 PM   #7
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Some books are definitely necessary though, should we still get it after the first class, or wait (e.g. bio.chem textbook)
I would wait... I ended up not using my chem textbook at all, what a waste of money. Not that it means you won't be using the book.
Old 08-20-2009 at 05:09 PM   #8
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cddbc View Post
hey im going into engineering 1 and i was wondering should i get my textbooks after classes start like in the first week or before i get to mcmaster?

thanks
I can tell you that nothing has changed for 1st year engineering textbook from previous years. You can check the book list, same edition textbook and same prof.

Old 08-20-2009 at 08:20 PM   #9
niteskie
Elite Member

Liked: 45 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCL View Post
Of course the down side is the following...if, after attending the first lecture, you decide thtat you do really need the text and there are no used texts available from upper years, you will have to queue up in a massive line to get the texts.

Consider the following: texts can be ordered from the bookstore up until Aug 29th and be delivered for $6/kg. Texbooks can be returned for a full refund. So if ya buy the text online and have it delivered, you can return it after a coupla weeks when the lines subside.
Is this only if you order the books online or can you by them directly from titles and return them if you don't need them?
Old 08-20-2009 at 09:05 PM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteskie View Post
Is this only if you order the books online or can you by them directly from titles and return them if you don't need them?
You can return them if you buy them directly from titles. There is a deadline and the package must be unopened/untampered. Custom Coursewares are non-refundable/non-exchangeable.
Old 08-20-2009 at 09:12 PM   #11
blue15

Liked: 1 Time

So... can we buy textbooks directly from Titles now? Or would we have to order?
Old 08-20-2009 at 09:22 PM   #12
feonateresa
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue15 View Post
So... can we buy textbooks directly from Titles now? Or would we have to order?
I would think that you can buy textbooks directly unless if the particular item is out of stock, which wouldn't be unusual because lots of professors have ordered more books in. You might be able to find used books though from Titles or upper years (the latter is much cheaper).
Old 08-20-2009 at 09:23 PM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
I would think that you can buy textbooks directly unless if the particular item is out of stock, which wouldn't be unusual because lots of professors have ordered more books in. You might be able to find used books though from Titles or upper years (the latter is much cheaper).
You can also check Undercovers in the basement of MUSC. I'm not sure about their hours though.
Old 08-20-2009 at 09:28 PM   #14
feonateresa
Elite Member

I'm not sure if they're open in the summer... :/ Everyone talks about Facebook marketplace being a good place, but so far it hasn't been upto par. :] Man, I drop rhymes like it's nothing.
Old 08-20-2009 at 09:49 PM   #15
syaseen
Elite Member

Liked: 27 Times

You might want to check online on sites like amazon you get new books cheaper than titles sometimes.