MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
General Guide to buying a laptop for University Leeoku Computers & Tech 28 11-14-2014 06:37 PM
Buying a laptop from Titles? anon491 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-13-2010 12:04 PM
buying a laptop cjdzl Computers & Tech 5 07-22-2010 12:58 PM
Laptop Buying Tips Chad Technology 224 09-02-2009 02:48 PM

Buying a New Laptop

Old 01-14-2013 at 10:19 AM   #16
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
She shouldn't need to rephrase what she said though. Macs almost never get viruses, require little to no maintenance, and are more difficult to screw up than a Windows PC so they're better for people that are don't know how to/don't want to deal with those things. She didn't say everyone with a Mac was computer illiterate, just that not being good with a computer is one of many legitimate reasons to spend an extra $500 to get a Mac.
That is how her post read to me, so I questioned her on it. So an explanation of some sort is/was in order if that is not what she truly meant.
Old 01-14-2013 at 11:38 AM   #17
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 326 Times

Quote:
She shouldn't need to rephrase what she said though. Macs almost never get viruses, require little to no maintenance, and are more difficult to screw up than a Windows PC so they're better for people that are don't know how to/don't want to deal with those things. She didn't say everyone with a Mac was computer illiterate, just that not being good with a computer is one of many legitimate reasons to spend an extra $500 to get a Mac.
This is pretty much exactly what I meant. herBs, I didn't say "LOL ONLY GET A MAC IF YOU'RE COMPUTER ILLITERATE." I said being computer illiterate would be a good reason to get a mac simply because they're more user friendly.

I am honestly not trying to be offensive when I say that I am very, very confused as to why you took such personal offense and responded with such hostility and demanded that I make up for an insult that I never made(re: you better rephrase your post and/or provide an explanation). There are plenty of other mac users on MI, some who've posted in this thread after me, and no one else has decided that I've mortally wounded their pride. Christ.

TL;DR Ramps are useful to have if you have difficulty walking LOL ALL YOU PEOPLE WHO USE RAMPS CLEARLY CAN'T WALK LOL.

Last edited by Amaryll : 01-14-2013 at 11:50 AM.

Old 01-14-2013 at 12:16 PM   #18
ryan10200

Liked: 1 Time

If you check the refurbished section you can find some good deals. Reading online, it has very positive reviews and in some cases you receive a product almost better than brand new because it has been individually inspected. It also comes with the same warranty as new products

sadaf says thanks to ryan10200 for this post.
Old 01-14-2013 at 12:41 PM   #19
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

man every laptop thread needs to stop being derailed. Quit your opinions of the product to yourselves and post useful relevant information to OP

Grover says thanks to Leeoku for this post.

alyssarr, sadaf like this.
Old 01-14-2013 at 01:02 PM   #20
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaryll View Post
This is pretty much exactly what I meant. herBs, I didn't say "LOL ONLY GET A MAC IF YOU'RE COMPUTER ILLITERATE." I said being computer illiterate would be a good reason to get a mac simply because they're more user friendly.

I am honestly not trying to be offensive when I say that I am very, very confused as to why you took such personal offense and responded with such hostility and demanded that I make up for an insult that I never made(re: you better rephrase your post and/or provide an explanation). There are plenty of other mac users on MI, some who've posted in this thread after me, and no one else has decided that I've mortally wounded their pride. Christ.

TL;DR Ramps are useful to have if you have difficulty walking LOL ALL YOU PEOPLE WHO USE RAMPS CLEARLY CAN'T WALK LOL.
I never said that either. You are the one who is clearly taking things a bit too personal. LOL
Old 01-14-2013 at 02:06 PM   #21
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
Are you calling me computer illiterate? If you aren't, you better rephrase your post and/or provide an explanation.

People who code do not need Macs. Nor do "art people". Those two groups and many others could have their needs satisfied by a Windows machine.
Actually. If you're into mobile development, chances are that you'll need a mac eventually to dive into iOS. That makes Macs a great choice for developers to open themselves to more platforms. In fact, thanks to Apple and their restrictive iOS SDK, Macs have the most SDKs available to them when you consider the fact that you can have Windows and linux on it too.

That doesn't happen on Windows-only machines where you miss out on the iOS fun or linux machines, where you miss out on the Windows Phone....umm...stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atheist? View Post
if youre really sure you want mac; go to apple store online and look for the education section.
if you want the mac os, get a pc and install windows
if you just want a laptop; id recommend the lenovo Y580; its on sale right now i believe (450$ off) at 950$ right now.

good luck
the Lenovo Y580 is the best value for a performance laptop right now. I was looking into it last year before I decided to get a macbook.

Quote:
Actually, I think it's just easier to ignore the screw ups on a Mac. I did all that homebrew crap and it was a mess, if I wasn't obsessed about keeping a clean system, I could've just let it rot in a corner without caring about it. It's kinda hard to do that on Windows when the application shortcut keeps reminding you that something is still there.

Also, thanks to the Notification center in Mountain Lion, I have to restart the computer every now and then because it gets stuck for some reason.

@OP: looks like you might be better off saving some money and getting a Lenovo Y580 or something unless:

1) You hate Windows like I do
2) You want a much lighter, minimalistically designed laptop with better performance in the same weight category
3) You're a sucker to Apple's evil ways.

sadaf says thanks to Afzal for this post.

sadaf likes this.
Old 01-14-2013
Scarecrow
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 01-14-2013 at 07:15 PM   #22
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
Actually. If you're into mobile development, chances are that you'll need a mac eventually to dive into iOS. That makes Macs a great choice for developers to open themselves to more platforms. In fact, thanks to Apple and their restrictive iOS SDK, Macs have the most SDKs available to them when you consider the fact that you can have Windows and linux on it too.

That doesn't happen on Windows-only machines where you miss out on the iOS fun or linux machines, where you miss out on the Windows Phone....umm...stuff.
That point is a valid one which I can agree with and respect. Though, if you get a pirated version of Mac OS X to install on your Windows machine would that suffice as well or no?
Old 01-14-2013 at 07:43 PM   #23
Atheist?

Liked: 31 Times

Afzal: yeah my Y580 is sweet as hell; and runs ALL the games i have on steam; which is sweet

once again, you can dual boot both windows and mac os if you need to develop ios games, want the whole mac os "experience" or prefer the mac look.

if looks are more important then just buy the laptop from anywhere; prices dont vary much

sadaf likes this.
Old 01-14-2013 at 08:29 PM   #24
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

WOw the specs on that lenovo...
Old 01-14-2013 at 09:15 PM   #25
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

My girlfriend has a Lenovo U410 and I'm pretty impressed with it. Not sure how much it costs but it's a pretty decently spec'd machine and is put together actually quite nicely. That Y580 does look really nice as far as performance per dollar. Personally I'm fine with the performance of my ThinkPad W500 but I do also have a decent gaming desktop I built which I also use for photo editing. The ThinkPad is just for programming really, and it's powerful enough for anything I do in that regard. The ThinkPad keyboard is great for that as well and so is the 15" 1920x1200 screen . I really don't know why people tolerate 15" 1366x768 screens, it's such a crappily low pixel density.

sadaf likes this.
Old 01-14-2013 at 11:23 PM   #26
Zachary

Liked: 77 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
WOw the specs on that lenovo...
Seconded. I've never really considered Lenovo - but that is really convincing.
Old 01-15-2013 at 11:48 AM   #27
Grover
The Law
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 254 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary View Post
Seconded. I've never really considered Lenovo - but that is really convincing.
I prefer the Think Pads to the Idea Pads. Usually spill-proof, able to be thrown across the room absorbing the impact, and the best keyboards on the market (although that encompasses Lenovo in general, but they've changed their favourited keycaps in recent models as of late). If you can get over the bulkier aesthetic, they're the best PC laptops on the market.

Lenovo's official site even lets you custom-build your own specs to your liking, like Dell or Apple, so there's that.
Old 01-15-2013 at 03:09 PM   #28
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
I prefer the Think Pads to the Idea Pads. Usually spill-proof, able to be thrown across the room absorbing the impact, and the best keyboards on the market (although that encompasses Lenovo in general, but they've changed their favourited keycaps in recent models as of late). If you can get over the bulkier aesthetic, they're the best PC laptops on the market.

Lenovo's official site even lets you custom-build your own specs to your liking, like Dell or Apple, so there's that.
The newer Thinkpads (Like the X1 Carbon) aren't even bulky, the thing looks absolutely beautiful and it's still got the amazing Thinkpad build quality.
Old 01-15-2013 at 03:52 PM   #29
Zachary

Liked: 77 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post

Funny you'd say that. My friend was actually extolling the virtues of the Thinkpads in general a while back, and how they are superior to most laptops in all their many mysterious ways. Durability check? I was simply pointed towards a commercial where a Thinkpad is used as a cutting board, washed, and then used as a baking tray - and it still worked despite all that.

The only reason I knew about the other line of less durable notebooks (the Idea Pads, that is) was because I stumbled across them whilst customising a Thinkpad. In retrospect, I think I was convinced a long time ago, or it seems ...