MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Feedback Needed For Term 1 Of A Life Science Student StephStudies First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-09-2011 08:31 PM
Med Phyis 1E03 needed for Life Science mcmastergcdb First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 01-01-2010 03:21 PM

Calculator needed for Life Science ?

Old 08-25-2012 at 04:01 PM   #1
infinitemac

Liked: 0 Times

Calculator needed for Life Science ?
Hi there,

I was wondering what type of calculator is needed for first year life sci, which includes courses like chem, math, physics, etc. Also, where would I get this calculator for the cheapest price? Staples?

And one more q...I know we don't get provided agendas so where can I look for a good one? Are the ones at Titles more expensive than say at Staples?

Thanks!
Old 08-25-2012 at 04:11 PM   #2
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

You don't get to choose what calculator you use during tests and exams. They only allow the casio fx-991, and you can get this from titles for like 27 dollars. You really don't need anything other than this.

infinitemac says thanks to Eternal Fire for this post.
Old 08-25-2012 at 04:11 PM   #3
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

There is only one calculator that's allowed/required in all McMaster courses, and it's Casio fx-991MS.
Also, you can get it cheaper at Canadian Tire. I saved about 5 bucks, and it's the exact same thing, right down to the packaging. lol

infinitemac says thanks to justinsftw for this post.
Old 08-25-2012 at 04:16 PM   #4
rkb12

Liked: 33 Times

Look for the casio fx-991 at staples, I think they sell it for cheaper (maybe $19-20).

I got some kind of agenda thing for free at the beginning of first year but it may have been part of a swag bag.. Either way it wasn't that great because it had a lot of ads between pages and not enough space to write... If you want to buy one titles has some for $9.50 (that's the cheapest, they can be more expensive for different types) but I haven't used them so I don't know if they're good.
Old 08-25-2012 at 05:40 PM   #5
RamanS

Liked: 0 Times

You need the Casio fx-991

I got it from Staples for 19.99. It was cheaper their than Titles (who had it for 23.99)
Old 08-25-2012 at 05:48 PM   #6
Osama

Liked: 6 Times

Can we use the Casio fx-570MS? The only difference between it and the fx-991 is the solar panel (the 570 doesn't have one).

http://edu.casio.com/products/standa...up_fx570ms.jpg
Old 08-25-2012 at 06:15 PM   #7
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osama View Post
Can we use the Casio fx-570MS? The only difference between it and the fx-991 is the solar panel (the 570 doesn't have one).

Well, technically, you could use anything you want, but when it comes to a midterm or exam where you'd need to use a calculator, the invigilators will stop you from using anything else other than fx-991MS. (i.e. taking it from you or getting you to put it away, leaving you without a calculator in the duration of the exam, unless they have extras)
Old 08-25-2012 at 06:19 PM   #8
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osama View Post

Unfortunately, I don't think they will allow it. The invigilators at mac are really picky.

I know someone who was using a fx-991, but it was a bit old, and the middle number 9 wasn't there any more (it wore off or something). He got his calculator taken away :/
Old 08-25-2012 at 07:32 PM   #9
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Wow I didn't know they were that stern about the MS specific model. Depends on the invigilator but they are told casio fx991ms only, the one justin put