MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GPA Calculator and Converter jhan523 Academics 40 08-06-2018 12:30 AM
Calculator on MCAT? SandraM Academics 7 08-10-2011 04:24 PM
Graphing Calculator? Hanna First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 08-14-2010 06:56 PM
calculator cjdzl First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 07-26-2010 10:17 PM
Calculator MohitB First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 22 08-28-2008 07:01 PM

calculator question

Old 08-22-2011 at 07:50 AM   #1
Auror.lah

Liked: 1 Time

calculator question
Casio fx-991 Calculator

McMaster University's standard / officially approved calculator. The Casio fx-991 is the only calculator allowed into exams. This is a required item for many McMaster courses.

Does McMaster allow fx-991 series calculators, or ONLY the fx-991 MS calculator? Would I be okay with my fx-991 ES?

Thanks. : )
Old 08-22-2011 at 09:06 AM   #2
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Although they're all generally allowed, some profs only accept fx-991 MS. I've seen people bugged about it during exams and midterms by proctors and professors, but never have seen them being confiscated.

You can save money by buying it from Canadian Tire/used/etc. instead of in Titles Bookstore.

Auror.lah says thanks to justinsftw for this post.
Old 08-22-2011 at 10:32 AM   #3
Dopematic

Liked: 28 Times

I'd recommend just buying the fx-991 MS. It'll be one less thing to worry about once tests and exams come around.

Auror.lah says thanks to Dopematic for this post.
Old 08-22-2011 at 12:28 PM   #4
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

It's better to buy the MS. Some profs won't let you use anything else, others will be a little less strict. But to save yourself the hassle of borrowing it from someone or something, definitely buy the MS now.

Auror.lah says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 08-22-2011 at 02:56 PM   #5
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

I have an ES and was fine for it all of last year, although I never saw anyone using the ES otherwise, all MS. There have been a couple of different revisions of the MS I believe (MS+ and such), so not everyone necessarily has the same MS either, which is probably why the official calculator is just "FX991" series with no other specifications.

Anyway you should be fine with the ES. I was never even asked if it was an FX991 or had anyone inspect it to make sure.

Auror.lah says thanks to Andrew A for this post.