MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Calculators dlee First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 26 08-14-2010 09:00 PM
Calculating Variance using our calculators Kira Computers & Tech 3 06-17-2010 04:42 PM
TI Graphing calculators enov First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 24 07-29-2009 10:02 PM
Calculators for Engineers ingénieur.xo Computers & Tech 14 08-09-2007 10:58 PM

?! Calculators

Old 08-12-2009 at 12:23 AM   #16
alessandro91

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by noor_toglaw View Post
so the other question is ... is the ES model allowed or just the MS cuz i hate the MS display i cant read it proberly the only difference is the display and the color the ES is hot silver so anyone with same calculator ??? ist allowed and approved like the 911MS ??? please tell me guys
There actually is quite a significant difference between the MS and the ES. I have both. The MS has a lot of really great features, but the ES has even more. For example, the ES can give you the decimal expansion of a logarithm to any base and can give you a table of x and y-values for a function that you enter. It can also give answers in exact form (i.e., in terms of pi and radicals). Using the latter would give you a huge advantage, so, unfortunately, I'd imagine that you wouldn't be allowed to use it - we weren't allowed to use it during high school calc tests.
Old 08-12-2009 at 06:15 AM   #17
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

I'm not sure about during tests but I know that during tests I've seen the invigilators with papers that have a few different calculators on it, which i am assuming are the ones that are equivalent to the 991MS. But just to be sure you could either call the school before coming or wait until you get here and ask someone in your department (and show them your calculator) and if your calculator is fine then great but if it's not then you can just pop over to Titles and buy a 991MS for 10-15$.
I wouldn't wait until one of your tests or exams though to find out if it's a calculator that you can use. I would go as soon as possible.

Old 08-12-2009 at 10:18 AM   #18
athmi100

I have a 991ES and I can't use anything else. I am too used to natural display!! I hope it is alowed or else I'm screwed :( @noor you can buy the 991ES online
Old 08-12-2009 at 10:40 AM   #19
MarkA

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by athmi100 View Post
I have a 991ES and I can't use anything else. I am too used to natural display!! I hope it is alowed or else I'm screwed :( @noor you can buy the 991ES online
Well, you won't have to worry about it for math at least. No calculators are allowed for engineering math tests.
Old 08-12-2009 at 12:07 PM   #20
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by athmi100 View Post
University requires a lot of adaptation. Survival of the fittest and adaptation is a powerful ability. If you can't adapt how do you expect to survive in the world?

You're not the only one that was/is in this predicament. There are THOUSANDS of students entering university each year and I'm certain that many of them went to highschools that did not use the 991MS. I have used a graphing calculator for all 4 years of highschool and so did all my friends, but we were able to adapt. If you ask me, I would say the transition from a graphing calculator to the 991MS is far greater than the transition from the 991ES to the 991MS.

Taunton likes this.
Old 08-12-2009 at 03:33 PM   #21
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Feel free to talk to your professors or someone in your department about whether the ES is allowed, but if it isn't then you'll have to deal with it.

I own a graphing calculator from high school and I'm not allowed to use it here... I survived.

You're just going to have to put up with the required calculator, because there's very little to no wiggle room on this one.
Old 08-12-2009 at 03:36 PM   #22
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
University requires a lot of adaptation. Survival of the fittest and adaptation is a powerful ability. If you can't adapt how do you expect to survive in the world?
Another example of which is adapting to somehow survive off eating an abnormally large amount of personal Pizza Pizza pizzas.

Taunton likes this.
Old 08-12-2009 at 03:39 PM   #23
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Another example of which is adapting to somehow survive off eating an abnormally large amount of personal Pizza Pizza pizzas.
I ate SO MUCH PIZZA in first year... the pizza combo in MUSC is definitely one of the best deals on campus.
Old 08-12-2009 at 03:41 PM   #24
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
I think a couple of us have mutated a system were we actually change food atoms while we are digesting in order to obtain all our nutrients...
Old 08-12-2009 at 03:42 PM   #25
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

I mostly got them because everything else always has an epic line.
Old 08-12-2009 at 06:21 PM   #26
athmi100

I'll come prepared for everything, even eating pizza every single day

Taunton likes this.