Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy
Program: Software Engineering
Year: Fourth
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 1,656 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
For engineering math: If your prof is unintelligible, get used to doing some practice problems, they are easy, and it feels good when you "get it". I'm in 3rd year, and haven't gone to math class more than a week in all my math courses. But out of all my courses, I spent most of my time practicing for math. If you get Gabardo, DO ALL THE PROBLEMS IN THE BLOODY BOOK. If you don't know Gabardo, pray that you never will(worst 2nd year math prof ever)
Well, luckily this "Garbardo" you speak of isn't speaking teaching second year this year apparently. We get Mr. Protoss (had him last year; all he requires is more minerals and additional vespene gas) who is a pretty decent professor. We also get Mr. Kovarik, who from what I've heard isn't super amazing.

Anyway; your approach to math class sounds exactly the same as what I did last year :p. I probably spent 70% of my homework time doing all the suggested problems.

Also, do the professors give you a list of suggested problems for math in second year? To be honest, I don't like thinking very hard about which problems I should do, lol. It makes it difficult in figuring out which homework from which class I should be thinking harder about :p.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 08-24-2009 at 03:10 PM   #76
adrian
Elite Member
Year: McMaster Employee

Liked: 143 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Well, luckily this "Garbardo" you speak of isn't speaking teaching second year this year apparently. We get Mr. Protoss (had him last year; all he requires is more minerals and additional vespene gas) who is a pretty decent professor. We also get Mr. Kovarik, who from what I've heard isn't super amazing.

Anyway; your approach to math class sounds exactly the same as what I did last year :p. I probably spent 70% of my homework time doing all the suggested problems.

Also, do the professors give you a list of suggested problems for math in second year? To be honest, I don't like thinking very hard about which problems I should do, lol. It makes it difficult in figuring out which homework from which class I should be thinking harder about :p.
That is indeed good news about Gabardo. Kovarik is not bad(could be better), hes just ancient

Yes, for all my math courses I had suggested problems, but maily I just cared about the sections and did all the problems.

Ownaginatios says thanks to adrian for this post.
Old 08-24-2009 at 03:54 PM   #77
Mowicz
Elite Member
Program: Mathematics & Statistics
Year: Alumni

Liked: 529 Times
Just remember, if you do all the problems, there's nothing they can ask you that throws you off.

And if it does, then it threw everyone off, and it'll be dealt with (ie. bellcurves).
Old 08-24-2009 at 03:57 PM   #78
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
Just remember, if you do all the problems, there's nothing they can ask you that throws you off.

And if it does, then it threw everyone off, and it'll be dealt with (ie. bellcurves).
Well, if the second year engineering math book is anything like the first year engineering math book, then "all the problems" is about a billion problems. I don't know if I can make enough time for that.

I found last year that if you did literally every suggested problem and past tests/exams, it was usually enough.
Old 08-24-2009 at 04:00 PM   #79
Mowicz
Elite Member

No, it goes without saying that I mean the suggested problems.

Like yeah, there's like 100 problems in a given section and like 30 sections...that's a bit much :p But if you do all the suggested problems you're good.

(Though I did know some profs who gave problems besides their suggested problems...like say we're supposed to do all the odd numbered problems as assignment questions...then on the test, he might give us Problem 42)
Old 08-24-2009 at 04:12 PM   #80
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
No, it goes without saying that I mean the suggested problems.

Like yeah, there's like 100 problems in a given section and like 30 sections...that's a bit much :p But if you do all the suggested problems you're good.

(Though I did know some profs who gave problems besides their suggested problems...like say we're supposed to do all the odd numbered problems as assignment questions...then on the test, he might give us Problem 42)
Okay good; for a second there, I thought you were telling me that the key to success was killing that small remaining ounce of social life, lol.
Old 08-24-2009 at 04:42 PM   #81
Mowicz
Elite Member

I have to key to success...just can't find the lock it opens ):
Old 08-25-2009 at 12:46 AM   #82
EasternHeat
Elite Member
Program: Biochemistry & Biomedical Sciences

Liked: 60 Times
Quote:
I have to key to success...just can't find the lock it opens ):
I have the key and the lock, I just havn't opened it yet

Old 09-13-2009 at 12:35 AM   #83
Anaam
Program: Life Sciences III
Year: Third

Liked: 4 Times
I loved Math. It was easier than expected. I was initially scared off by friends of friends and siblings of friends about uni Math. But I had Lovric and I think he is absolutely amazing! He gave so much practice.

I practiced his assignments, and his tests and did well. =)
It anticipation was worse than the actual Math itself.

Article Tools