MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Taking Math Calculus course 1f03 how shouldi prepare for it and stats 1l03 harman911 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-27-2010 12:22 PM

Calculus in Summer School or take Math 1F03?

Old 06-07-2009 at 08:57 PM   #16
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

If you take 1LS3, definitely try to get in with Lovric. He is literally the perfect professor...he wins awards for his teaching style and researches why 1st year students are unsuccessful in math.

He also wins grants and holds certain 'math awareness' events, like last year, an inter-faculty math competition, called Math Factor.

Anyway, I've never heard a single person say anything bad about him, he always gets amazing ratings.

caludujf says thanks to Mowicz for this post.
Old 06-07-2009 at 09:16 PM   #17
tiger
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 2 Times

Help!
Math 1F03
Prerequisite: One of Grade 12 Advanced Functions U, Grade 12 Advanced Functions and Introductory Calculus U.

Math 1K03
Prerequisite: OSS Grade 11 Mathematics or OSIS Grade 12 Mathematics (Advanced)

What should those with neither Ontario grade 12 nor Ontario grade 11 take (out of province/international students)? Math 1F03 or Math 1k03, since they don't have the prerequisite for either and completing one of the two courses is a requirement (Business 1)?
Old 06-07-2009 at 09:29 PM   #18
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Just noticed that Physics 1L03/1B03 are not on your list .. one of those two is required for several 2nd year programs... but I think most allow you to complete physics in 2nd year.

caludujf says thanks to sinthusized for this post.
Old 06-07-2009 at 09:48 PM   #19
Mowicz
Elite Member

@tiger: Math 1K03 is designed for people with the minimum highschool math requirements. If you've taken more than your province's minimum requirement, then you can probably take 1F03, 1A03, or 1LS3.
Old 06-07-2009 at 11:54 PM   #20
caludujf

Liked: 0 Times

yea i plan on taking physics 1b03 or 1l03 in the following summer or 2nd year.
How's anthropology? What skills do you need to get a high grade in that course? and what do you learn in that course? I just put it in cause some ppl said it's an easy electice. What other easy electives are there to choose?
Old 06-08-2009 at 06:37 AM   #21
tiger
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
@tiger: Math 1K03 is designed for people with the minimum highschool math requirements. If you've taken more than your province's minimum requirement, then you can probably take 1F03, 1A03, or 1LS3.
So we can still sign up for Math 1F03 without Ontario grade 12 calculus& vectors? Are we allowed to ? How/When will they check for the prerequisite and if you don't have it, will they delete the course or not give you credit for it?

This is all a bit confusing for me...I just started looking into this( units/credit, courses, requirements) 3 days ago
Old 06-08-2009 at 10:03 AM   #22
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by caludujf View Post
yea i plan on taking physics 1b03 or 1l03 in the following summer or 2nd year.
How's anthropology? What skills do you need to get a high grade in that course? and what do you learn in that course? I just put it in cause some ppl said it's an easy electice. What other easy electives are there to choose?
I have a degree in Anthro, so I can give you some insight.

1Z03 is the introduction to physical/biological anthropology.

Course material is kind of an extension of what you can take in the 11th grade Psych/Sociology/Anthro course...you learn about the different hominids starting at sahelanthropus tchadensis going to homo sapiens sapiens. You also learn about the non-human primates (i.e. old world monkeys, new world monkeys, apes etc). There is a little bit of linnaeus classification as well.

Typically there is an essay, a midterm, tutorial participation and a final; although I believe sometimes there are two essays and not one depending on the prof.

For 1Z03, I think a lot of it depends on the prof. If Padiak is teaching the class...I would honestly suggest dropping it. She is terrible.

If you want an easy Anthro elective, take Anthro 1A03 (introduction to cultural anthropology). It is typically easier, although not biologically-based.

For all of your other classes, check out the MacInsiders Course Reviews.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-08-2009 at 12:35 PM   #23
Mowicz
Elite Member

@tiger:

You haven't mentioned what province your high school was in so I can't give you a direct answer...however, you can find out by going here:

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /forms/canad.php

Select Mathematics and Statistics I, and whatever province. It should show you the Math equivalent for Calculus and Vectors, as well as Advanced Functions, one of which are required for 1F03, in your province.

For instance, if your province was Alberta, you would have to take either Math 30, or Math 31.
Old 06-08-2009 at 01:52 PM   #24
tiger
Account Disabled by User

I am an international student.

Who should I contact about course selections?

Last edited by tiger : 06-08-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 06-08-2009 at 09:54 PM   #25
caludujf

Liked: 0 Times

Is kinesiology an easy course? Can you guys list me out easy electives for me. An don't include math related ones
Old 06-08-2009 at 11:26 PM   #26
Mowicz
Elite Member

Kin 1A03 / 1Y03 (Anatomy and Physiology) is not an easy course...well, I suppose it depends on one's skills.

It involves a lot of memorization. I estimated learning a week's worth of biology material in a single lecture of Anatomy. I studied for 70 hours or so for the final (In my day, we had a 6 unit full year course, 1A06) and was still dissatisfied with my grade.

Easy electives depend on your skills and interests. Are you good at memorizing? Good at writing papers? What kind of subjects do you like?

If you choose subjects you are genuinely interested in, then you will naturally want to do more work and succeed in the course.
Old 06-09-2009 at 09:44 PM   #27
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I only skimmed through most of the other posts, but just incase it wasn't said. For Chemistry go with professor Lock.

As for Physics 1B03, if you took grade 12 physics, chances are you've done a lot of the chapters already. For me it was mostly review with a little bit of more indepth stuff and then the last 2ish chapters were relatively new. But I also have to say that my physics teacher in high school was amazing. Definitively an above average teacher.
Old 06-24-2009 at 11:19 PM   #28
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger View Post
I am an international student.

Who should I contact about course selections?

I'd try getting a calling card and calling up the Registrar.
You may want to look through this: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /SRhelp/getreg.html

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /contactus.htm

Here
I wish you all the best and you may also want to post some questions on here because people are immensely helpful

Which program are you getting into?

tiger says thanks to goodnews.inc for this post.

sana1504 likes this.
Old 06-26-2009 at 05:31 PM   #29
tiger
Account Disabled by User

@goodnews. Thank you. I'm in Business 1.
Old 06-27-2009 at 01:47 AM   #30
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Same here. !!!
OKAY well that's helpful I can send you all the links I found useful and you can go through my posts on my profile and see the stuff relevant to you!

http://www.degroote.mcmaster .ca/UG/business1.html

Go through that in its entirety

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

tiger says thanks to goodnews.inc for this post.