DO NOT CALL lists lorend General Discussion 11 03-03-2009 01:45 PM

Call Jim Bradley!!!

Old 07-23-2008 at 08:00 PM   #1
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Call Jim Bradley!!!
I don't know how many of you listen to CFNY (102.1 the Edge from Toronto), but I have found that some of the DJs like to address some of the political issues at hand. Specifically, I'm thinking of Barry Taylor.

I'm not sure how many of you are aware of the vehicle that runs on no gasoline, at speeds of 50km/hr or less...but is illegal in Ontario. It is legal in 45 states, Quebec and BC. The ironic thing? They're made here in Ontario. People are losing their jobs because of high gas prices. Jim Bradley, the Ontario Transportation Minister is saying that they are unsafe.

Please read about the issue (check out Barry Taylor's blog here), and CALL HIM. He is not responding to emails, so more drastic measures (but non-violent ones!!) need to occur. His phone number is 905-935-0018.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-23-2008 at 08:11 PM   #2
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

I let my feelings known. Great find, this is why I have bought myself a bike. It is great for transportation and fitness. I urge everyone to call and seek alternative transportation.
Old 07-23-2008 at 09:51 PM   #3
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

Hah, I was listening to the same thing earlier :p

The vehicle is an electric car made by the Zenn Motor Company. See here: http://www.zenncars.com/

I actually saw a prototype on campus a few years back, they were doing an informational thing outside of BSB. The production model is the one you see on the website, and it's pretty cool - they're even working on one that will go highway speeds (this one is electronically limited to 40 km/h, but different provinces may have different legislation on the matter - the limitation is so that they're technically not classified as cars, but rather Low-Speed Vehicles). Its range on an 8-hour charge is 35 miles (~56 km), so it's perfect as a city car.

From a research and development standpoint, they're doing some pretty neat things, too - this model doesn't have it, but they're working with a company called EEStor to develop an ultracapacitor to replace the battery bank currently needed in electric vehicles. Ultracapacitors can charge fully in minutes instead of hours, and hold far more charge for their size than a battery. Compared to batteries they also aren't affected by temperature, have a longer total lifespan, are lighter in weight, and don't require hazardous materials to produce them. So Zenn is definitely a rising star in the alternative-energy world.

As Danielle said, I'd suggest you contact Jim Bradley and others in the government to let them know you support Zenn and other similar companies and that they should be working to facilitate getting their products into public hands, not holding them back through bureaucracy.
Old 07-23-2008 at 09:51 PM   #4
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

We listen to him at work sometimes (I think it's him...)
He was talking about the documentary called "Who Killed the Electric Car" last week.. you can watch it on youtube:

Old 07-30-2008 at 03:57 AM   #5
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

I vote we focus on making sure Bill C-61 doesn't become law, inherently making all of us criminals.
Old 07-30-2008 at 06:33 AM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Start new discussion about said bill. Provide background info. We chat about it.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement