MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blood Clinic - January 12th, 2010 temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-07-2010 10:44 PM
giving blood on campus??? macculkin General Discussion 5 10-20-2009 08:51 AM
Blood, It's In You To Give! kokosas MacInsiders Announcements 19 02-09-2009 03:56 PM
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince lorend General Discussion 36 11-22-2008 04:19 PM

Campus Blood Clinics!

Old 09-15-2010 at 02:34 PM   #16
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I think they test all the blood ever since that incident where people got AIDS form receiving blood.
Dont you have to use blood to test some blood? So...the blood they test, I assume they 'dispose' of it. So...in theory if they did that to every donation they got, they are 'wasting' a lot of blood.
Old 09-15-2010 at 02:38 PM   #17
bloodywarz
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 74 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsumz View Post
Dont you have to use blood to test some blood? So...the blood they test, I assume they 'dispose' of it. So...in theory if they did that to every donation they got, they are 'wasting' a lot of blood.
its better to waste blood then give blood to a patient and kill them with it cause yours ended up hurting them. would you like to have that on your conscious?
Old 09-15-2010 at 02:59 PM   #18
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Testing is not a "waste", it's very important in order to prevent transmission of any blood-borne pathogen.
Old 09-15-2010 at 03:04 PM   #19
brendanp

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
I just dont like blood leaving my body. Like if I get cut or something sure, i'll just suck up some blood or what not. But giving someone else MY blood. Not happening. I have a wierd mentality on that. I just feel that if someone else has my blood, then they also have some tiny part of me which is NOT cool. My blood adds to my uniqueness.
that makes absolutely no sense. i can understand people who are afraid of needles who don't want to do it, but that sounds like a really bizarre reason.
Old 09-15-2010
brendanp
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 09-15-2010 at 03:14 PM   #20
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanp View Post
that makes absolutely no sense. i can understand people who are afraid of needles who don't want to do it, but that sounds like a really bizarre reason.
It's not that bizarre. Blood like any other part of your body is composed of cells. Blood is a component of your body and some people don't like the idea that they are taking a part of their body and that it will be part of someone else.

I honestly think that reason is more valid than being scared.

xxsumz says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 09-15-2010 at 03:17 PM   #21
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
I just looked it up (because I'm pretty paranoid about blood and germs) and the HIV test doesn't require a lot of blood, you can do a "fingerprick test" that only uses a few drops of blood. Plus, I'd much rather they waste some than risk contracting any infectious blood disease if I ever need a blood transfusion.

I think I'm going to get over my germs/needle phobia and donate this year!
Old 09-15-2010 at 03:25 PM   #22
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Liked: 95 Times

just booked my appointment
Old 09-15-2010 at 03:58 PM   #23
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Quote:
My reason is perfectly logical in every way imaginable. People who are afraid of needles need to man up. Period.
Old 09-15-2010 at 03:59 PM   #24
Chris98

Liked: 51 Times

Does anyone know how much blood they take from you? Is it equivalent to the amount that the doctor/nurse would take from you if you were getting a blood test done?

The reason I'm asking is because I've had two blood tests done in my life (that I can remember anyways). The first time the nurse said my blood was coming into the tubes slowly near the end and so she just stopped and poured some of the blood from the other tubes into the current one to make them all even (i think she was worried I didn't have enough blood). The 2nd time the same thing happened and afterwards I felt like I was going to faint, in fact I almost did. I was walking back towards the car and everything was blurry and I almost blacked out. I had to stop and lay down for awhile until I felt ok again. I'm thinking I don't have as much blood in me as the average person should or something. And that really scares me because I'm worried if i get shot or stabbed then my chances of survival would be lesser.

Last edited by Chris98 : 09-15-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-15-2010 at 04:01 PM   #25
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris98 View Post
Does anyone know how much blood they take from you? Is it equivalent to the amount that the doctor/nurse would take from you if you were getting a blood test done?

The reason I'm asking is because I've had two blood tests done in my life (that I can remember anyways). The first time the nurse said my blood was coming into the tubes slowly and so she just stopped and poured some of the blood from the other tubes into the current one to make them all even. The 2nd time the same thing happened and afterwards I felt like I was going to faint, in fact I almost did. I was walking back towards the car and everything was blurry and I almost blacked out. I'm thinking I don't have as much blood in me as the average person should or something.
Just have some burgers and candy ready once your done. Food = heaven in situations like that.
Old 09-15-2010 at 04:08 PM   #26
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris98 View Post

The reason I'm asking is because I've had two blood tests done in my life (that I can remember anyways). The first time the nurse said my blood was coming into the tubes slowly near the end and so she just stopped and poured some of the blood from the other tubes into the current one to make them all even (i think she was worried I didn't have enough blood). The 2nd time the same thing happened and afterwards I felt like I was going to faint, in fact I almost did. I was walking back towards the car and everything was blurry and I almost blacked out. I had to stop and lay down for awhile until I felt ok again. I'm thinking I don't have as much blood in me as the average person should or something. And that really scares me because I'm worried if i get shot or stabbed then my chances of survival would be lesser.

They take about 1/10 of your blood, and they make you lay down for a while if it is your first time, so you wont really notice any blood loss, unless you decide to run a lot right after, but that would be stupid....
Old 09-15-2010 at 04:09 PM   #27
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Quote:
Just have some burgers and candy ready once your done. Food = heaven in situations like that.
plus they have some snacks for you when your done
Old 09-15-2010 at 04:09 PM   #28
brendanp

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
My reason is perfectly logical in every way imaginable. People who are afraid of needles need to man up. Period.
i was thinking of people who have a phobia, they can't just "man up" and overcome a phobia. your reason would be logical if there was something bad that could happen to you as a result of your blood being in someone else's body. while a fear of needles is illogical, it could be a phobia where people have little to no control over it.
Old 09-15-2010 at 04:33 PM   #29
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
i was thinking of people who have a phobia, they can't just "man up" and overcome a phobia. your reason would be logical if there was something bad that could happen to you as a result of your blood being in someone else's body. while a fear of needles is illogical, it could be a phobia where people have little to no control over it.
... fear = phobia ...