MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blood Clinic - January 12th, 2010 temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-07-2010 10:44 PM
giving blood on campus??? macculkin General Discussion 5 10-20-2009 08:51 AM
Blood, It's In You To Give! kokosas MacInsiders Announcements 19 02-09-2009 03:56 PM
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince lorend General Discussion 36 11-22-2008 04:19 PM

Campus Blood Clinics!

Old 09-15-2010 at 04:44 PM   #31
bloodywarz
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 74 Times

lol i need to book an appointment soon but honestly i hope i get a nurse who acutally knows how to use a needle, when i was like in grade 8 a nurse ended up using a frigen thick needle to try and get my blood from the back of my HAND! and he hurt so much but i thought w//e i guess thatz a new safer location or sumthing then antther older nurse comes in and was just like "omg what are you doing WE DONT USE THOSE big needles on the wrist... and they had a disscussion while i was just sitting there with a needle the size of a frigen hose pipe shoved in my back hand. and if any nurse pulls that shyt on me again imma go hulk on em
Old 09-15-2010 at 05:32 PM   #32
brendanp

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
... fear = phobia ...
fear can be rational, a phobia is an irrational fear.
Old 09-15-2010 at 05:39 PM   #33
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanp View Post
fear can be rational, a phobia is an irrational fear.
I know that the definition is "irrational fear", but I personally think that definition is complete bullshit. TONS of phobias can be rational. Heights -> Fall/Injury/Deaht. Spider -> Neuronal Damage/Severe Pain/Death. Needles -> Infection. Tight Spaces -> Asphyxiation.
Old 09-15-2010 at 05:44 PM   #34
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodywarz View Post
lol i need to book an appointment soon but honestly i hope i get a nurse who acutally knows how to use a needle, when i was like in grade 8 a nurse ended up using a frigen thick needle to try and get my blood from the back of my HAND! and he hurt so much but i thought w//e i guess thatz a new safer location or sumthing then antther older nurse comes in and was just like "omg what are you doing WE DONT USE THOSE big needles on the wrist... and they had a disscussion while i was just sitting there with a needle the size of a frigen hose pipe shoved in my back hand. and if any nurse pulls that shyt on me again imma go hulk on em
The Red Cross nurses are very skilled; I've never had one **** up on me yet. I've donated like a dozen times.

[email protected] that crazy guy who doesn't like the idea of blood circulating in other people and using it as a reason not to save a life
Old 09-15-2010 at 05:48 PM   #35
bloodywarz
Account Disabled by User

is the blood donation going on only for 1 day? and is there like any place close by that i can also go to donate?
Old 09-15-2010 at 05:55 PM   #36
brendanp

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I know that the definition is "irrational fear", but I personally think that definition is complete bullshit. TONS of phobias can be rational. Heights -> Fall/Injury/Deaht. Spider -> Neuronal Damage/Severe Pain/Death. Needles -> Infection. Tight Spaces -> Asphyxiation.
i'm not sure about the exact clinical definition, but i think a phobia is when the fear extends beyond a dangerous situation. for example, it's reasonable to be afraid of a poisonous spider, but someone with a phobia might get scared seeing a non poisonous spider through a barrier.
Old 09-15-2010 at 06:00 PM   #37
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris98 View Post
Does anyone know how much blood they take from you? Is it equivalent to the amount that the doctor/nurse would take from you if you were getting a blood test done?

The reason I'm asking is because I've had two blood tests done in my life (that I can remember anyways). The first time the nurse said my blood was coming into the tubes slowly near the end and so she just stopped and poured some of the blood from the other tubes into the current one to make them all even (i think she was worried I didn't have enough blood). The 2nd time the same thing happened and afterwards I felt like I was going to faint, in fact I almost did. I was walking back towards the car and everything was blurry and I almost blacked out. I had to stop and lay down for awhile until I felt ok again. I'm thinking I don't have as much blood in me as the average person should or something. And that really scares me because I'm worried if i get shot or stabbed then my chances of survival would be lesser.
Its significantly more blood than given during a typical blood test. In a blood test they typically fill 2-3 vials of 10-30 mL each. A normal donation to CBS is about 450 mL. Everybody reacts to blood donations differently, and so you should be cautious if you've had fainting problems in the past. That being said, blood donations are important and if you're interested in donated you're unlikely to suffer any harm from trying just once. Numerous trained nurses are on hand to take care of you in case you feel faint, etc. When you call CBS to book your appointment, you also have the opportunity to talk to a nurse who can give you more information. As other posters have said, be sure to eat and drink sufficient fluids in the 24 hours before your appointment and definitely have a good breakfast in the morning.

I was a long time donor and never had problems during any of my donations. I no longer donate as I can't reconcile my personal views on equality with the rabid stereotypes of homosexual men that CBS endorses and has even used as arguments in court.
Old 09-15-2010 at 06:02 PM   #38
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

They didn't let me donate last year... :(..maybe it was because I am an international student. (not saying that they're racists or anything but I forgot the actual reason behind them not accepting Int'l students)
Old 09-15-2010 at 06:06 PM   #39
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
is the blood donation going on only for 1 day? and is there like any place close by that i can also go to donate?
I usually donate at 1 summers lane, and sometimes they have it at the health sciences building, it was on the 10th I believe
Old 09-15-2010 at 06:06 PM   #40
bloodywarz
Account Disabled by User

lol i love how we went from the topic of blood clinics and donations to suddenly about fear and phobia
Old 09-15-2010 at 06:09 PM   #41
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Health Sciences building, 1 summers lane (convention centre near jackson square), and near the Red Cross place east of down town near canadian tire?

Last donation of hsc was 10th of september I believe, so they come every 2 weeks or so.
Old 09-15-2010 at 06:11 PM   #42
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times

Quote:
There's actually a permanent donation centre up in the meadowlands (right across from the ESSO). Its address is:
35 Stone Church Road
Ancaster, Ontario
L9K 1S5
Admin.: (905) 645-6555

Weekly donation times are:
Tuesday: 8:00am - 1:00pm & 3:00pm - 7:00pm
Wednesday: 3:00pm - 8:00pm
Thursday: 8:00am - 1:00pm & 3:00pm - 7:00pm
Saturday: 9:00am - 1:00pm

From: http://www.blood.ca/centreapps/inter...penDocument#ON
Old 09-15-2010 at 07:11 PM   #43
kristopherk

Liked: 16 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris98 View Post
Does anyone know how much blood they take from you? Is it equivalent to the amount that the doctor/nurse would take from you if you were getting a blood test done?
It's a pint, which is a lot more than they'd take for a blood test. I've given blood 5 times; if you don't mind needles it's not a bad experience, and you get to learn what blood type you are!
Old 09-15-2010 at 07:17 PM   #44
Kris_M

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
I just looked it up (because I'm pretty paranoid about blood and germs) and the HIV test doesn't require a lot of blood, you can do a "fingerprick test" that only uses a few drops of blood. Plus, I'd much rather they waste some than risk contracting any infectious blood disease if I ever need a blood transfusion.

I think I'm going to get over my germs/needle phobia and donate this year!

They take some blood for testing, than some for the actual transfusion.
Old 09-15-2010 at 07:18 PM   #45
kristopherk

Liked: 16 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsahota View Post
I was a long time donor and never had problems during any of my donations. I no longer donate as I can't reconcile my personal views on equality with the rabid stereotypes of homosexual men that CBS endorses and has even used as arguments in court.
I agree that it's definitely inequality, and I'm not a fan of it, but they made the decision based on statistics, not stereotypes. I hope they change their position as those statistics are much less skewed now than they were then, but the need for blood is still there. Reconsider donating again.