MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Deferred exams kwyhan Academics 3 05-07-2013 09:12 PM
Are deferred exams generally harder than exams written during exam period? User22 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 06-15-2012 03:04 PM
deferred exams...? aw07 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 14 05-25-2012 04:39 PM
Deferred exams questions Phantom Academics 10 12-08-2011 01:52 PM
Deferred Exams kwyhan Academics 0 07-20-2010 05:49 PM

Can Deferred Exams Be A Different Format?!

Old 06-19-2017 at 07:08 PM   #1
Potentiate

Liked: 1 Time

Can Deferred Exams Be A Different Format?!
Hey all,

I just finished writing a deferred exam (I had a legitimate reason for the deferral btw) and my exam was a completely different format compared to what people wrote during the regular exam period... My exam consisted of short answer questions, whereas the others wrote an exam that was strictly multiple choice.

Is that even allowed...? It seems slightly unfair that people with legitimate reasons have to be penalized for their absence. Im assuming my professor wanted to get back at the people who just weren't prepared for the exam, and didn't really care for collateral damage.

Also, does anyone know how to go about exam reviewing for deferred exams? I've never reviewed an exam but I'm sure I'd like to considering it was all short answer.

Thanks for any help

Last edited by Potentiate : 06-20-2017 at 01:12 AM.
Old 06-20-2017 at 12:07 AM   #2
topkek

Liked: 23 Times

Why not? You have extra time to study - therefore the exam should be slightly harder.
Old 06-20-2017 at 01:16 AM   #3
Potentiate

My concern is that the format of the final was completely different (not just that it was more difficult), which could make it unfair for people writing it.

This happened after the prof repeatedly told the class that the final was MC. Should I expect a final completely different from what was advertised in class, and go into a test without knowing what to study for? That's currently my perspective.
Old 06-20-2017 at 03:47 AM   #4
topkek

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potentiate View Post
My concern is that the format of the final was completely different (not just that it was more difficult), which could make it unfair for people writing it.

This happened after the prof repeatedly told the class that the final was MC. Should I expect a final completely different from what was advertised in class, and go into a test without knowing what to study for? That's currently my perspective.
The prof didn't said the deferred exam is going to be the same as the normal exam? How do you not know what to study for if you have paid attention in class? Millennials and their entitlements nowadays... It really sounds like you deferred the exam because you weren't prepared and still haven't learned the lesson.

old guy likes this.
Old 06-20-2017 at 11:34 AM   #5
Potentiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by topkek View Post
The prof didn't said the deferred exam is going to be the same as the normal exam? How do you not know what to study for if you have paid attention in class? Millennials and their entitlements nowadays... It really sounds like you deferred the exam because you weren't prepared and still haven't learned the lesson.
Hahaha

Damnit millennials!

Anyone with real answers tho? Especially for reviewing a deferred exam? From what I've heard profs can do as they please on their finals

Imperious likes this.
Old 06-20-2017 at 01:52 PM   #6
tigercatfan

Liked: 0 Times

Do you mean review your exam? If so each Faculty/Program usually has their own rules. I would check the Programs website.

Did you check the course outline? Did it say anything there about deferred exams?

Potentiate says thanks to tigercatfan for this post.
Old 06-20-2017 at 03:16 PM   #7
bobsingh

Liked: 11 Times

It is up to the professors discretion to change the format of the deferred exam. From my experience, professors tend to keep the format and questions the same for finals and deferred exams but that was for the Faculty of Science courses.

Potentiate says thanks to bobsingh for this post.
Old 06-20-2017 at 03:37 PM   #8
Potentiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigercatfan View Post
Do you mean review your exam? If so each Faculty/Program usually has their own rules. I would check the Programs website.

Did you check the course outline? Did it say anything there about deferred exams?
There's no course outline (lol) or mention of deferred exams. I'll check with the Department after I get my overall grade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsingh View Post
It is up to the professors discretion to change the format of the deferred exam. From my experience, professors tend to keep the format and questions the same for finals and deferred exams but that was for the Faculty of Science courses.
Awh okay... If only I knew. I hope the professor isn't too picky when marking short answer questions. As a science student I don't know what to expect.
Old 06-27-2017 at 04:36 PM   #9
Starships2

Liked: 3 Times

It really depends. Some profs will give you the exact same exam whereas others will change the questions / format. Im pretty sure when you defer an exam, there is a disclaimer either on the form or your course outline, that says the exam may not be of the same format. If you know the content well enough, youll be fine regardless of the format. Also, in the future, message your prof before your deferred exam to ask about the format. They will almost most definitely disclose the format to you. You cant blame the profs for your assumptions as many people who defer do have valid reasons and many profs really arent that vindictive. I would assume deferred exam review, would be like regular exam review.
Old 07-03-2017 at 06:29 PM   #10
old guy

Liked: 5 Times

Not that I want to portray myself as sympathetic to entitled millenials, but...

A short-answer exam is certainly a heck of a lot harder than a multiple choice exam. Economics MC tests in 1st and 2nd year are embarrassing utter jokes, and the department could easily slaughter half the class by just changing to short answer, except that would mean the sessional lecturer and the TAs would actually have to do more work than carry a bunch of scantron cards to a reader and wait for the Excel file to come back.

There. I feel better.
Old 07-04-2017 at 06:48 PM   #11
tigercatfan

Liked: 0 Times

What about all of those people (and let us be honest here, most people defer for reasons of convenience ) that just wanted to wait to write the test? Should they be given the opportunity to write the exact same test as the rest of the class. I am not saying a harder test, I am saying a test with the same questions giving them an unfair advantage. If it is a multiple choice test it is reasonable to write dozens of multiple choice questions, it takes forever and not worth the time of the prof.

This all said I would rather write short answer than multiple choice. I just find them easier.
Old 07-13-2017 at 05:24 AM   #12
Starships2

Liked: 3 Times

Noone gets to defer a test out of convenience in the sense that everyone has to provide a medical or legal note to be granted a deferral. Its very hard to figure out which kids are being honest and which arent so that they can test them appropriately.
Old 07-18-2017 at 02:35 PM   #13
old guy

Liked: 5 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigercatfan View Post
What about all of those people (and let us be honest here, most people defer for reasons of convenience ) that just wanted to wait to write the test? Should they be given the opportunity to write the exact same test as the rest of the class. I am not saying a harder test, I am saying a test with the same questions giving them an unfair advantage. If it is a multiple choice test it is reasonable to write dozens of multiple choice questions, it takes forever and not worth the time of the prof.
Profs don't write test questions for MC. Sessionals write MC tests, and they do so by ctrl-c and ctrl-v'ing questions from the test bank document provided with the textbook.

But more generally, if you're saying exam deferrers are vile scum who should be punished for their laziness, I wholly agree with you. In an ideal world they'd find out their buddies' MC exam was replaced with "answer 8 of 9 essay questions" and a few dozen "draw a diagram" or "solve the equation and no we're not telling you what the equation is, you're supposed to already know that" questions.