MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Medical Radiation Science Vs Medical Physics and Applied Radiation Sciences Kajee First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 10-24-2011 09:02 AM
Get in to radiation science and medical physic master with radiation therapy bachelo maninino Academics 8 08-03-2011 08:45 PM
Medical Radiation Science twitterbird First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-25-2009 06:00 PM

Can I get to Medical school by taking Medical Radiation Science

Members have rated post #363497 as the best response. Skip right to it!
Old 03-16-2013 at 09:47 PM   #1
FutureMEDRAD

Liked: 1 Time

Medical Radiation Science to Medical School?
MED SCHOOL.pdf

Hi there, I'm thinking of going into medical radiation sciences, and i have some questions.

Its hard for me to understand all of these terms because Im still in highschool.

I Attached a PDF. On the first page are the academic requirements of different medical schools in Ontario. And on the second page is the Medical Radiation Sciences program that Im planning to take.

QUESTIONS
Can you get into med school from med rad sci?
Old 03-16-2013
FutureMEDRAD
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 03-16-2013 at 10:05 PM   #2
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureMEDRAD View Post
Can you get into med school from med rad sci?
You have to see what are the requirements for each medical school because different med schools have different requirements.
However, i believe that mac's med school has no prerequisites, so yes you can get into the med school at mac from med rad sci.

FutureMEDRAD says thanks to jim1 for this post.
Old 03-16-2013 at 10:15 PM   #3
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

yea, you can. to satisfy prereqs for med school while in med rad will mean you have to do summer school most likely. medrad has high job rate though.

FutureMEDRAD says thanks to Silver for this post.
Old 03-16-2013 at 10:35 PM   #4
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

With medrad you'll have trouble fitting in summer school since most of your summers are full already.

Medrad equips you to do one of these jobs: http://www.mohawkcollege.ca/Schools/...medradsci.html but that doesn't mean you can't apply to med school anyways.

As for your med school prereqs, you didn't fully list them...like, you just listed the number of credits you need, but I'm pretty sure at least some of those schools have actual course requirements, and that's what you should be concerned about.

FutureMEDRAD says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 03-16-2013 at 10:45 PM   #5
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

You can get into medical school with any undergraduate degree... from my understanding, med rad sci is that while it has 'medical' in its name, it practical-based degree, opposed to heavily theory-based and rigorous degrees such as health sciences, etc (debatable).

You can major in engineering, english, med rad sci, or any other number of things, it doesn't matter. Getting good MCAT scores, having a killer resume, and a number of other ad-hoc things will be your best focus; whatever you go into: get involved, get good marks, try to get some lab experience, rack up a varying degree of volunteer work, and take courses based on orgo/medical-based/critical thinking.

FutureMEDRAD says thanks to RyanC for this post.
Old 03-16-2013 at 10:47 PM  
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Warning: This post has been reported
This post has been flagged as violating the MacInsiders Code Of Conduct, and is being reviewed by one of our staff. It may contain offensive material. Click here to view.

L'Étoile, VitaSoy like this.
Old 03-16-2013 at 10:52 PM   #6
hilton

Liked: 42 Times

You need a bachelor's degree to apply to medical school.

FutureMEDRAD says thanks to hilton for this post.
Old 03-16-2013 at 10:54 PM   #7
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilton View Post
That is not true. Some med schools require it, but most do not.

Also why did you create multiple threads asking the same thing?

And yeah, I wouldn't call the BHSc program theoretical-based or rigorous lol.
The PBL makes it pretty "applied", and although there are a few "rigorous" courses, the program as a whole is not, particularly the core program.

FutureMEDRAD says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 03-17-2013 at 01:11 AM   #8
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 326 Times

Mac courses ending in "3" are 3 credits, meaning, 1 semester. Ones ending in 6 are 6 credits, meaning full year. Pass/fail courses do not affect your average. I believe for some med schools you need biochem? I'm not sure, I've never looked into it. If that's the case, this is how you would have to do it:

1. Take the pre-reqs: Chem 1A03 and Chem 1AA3. If you download the undergraduate calendar (google it, it's a pdf), you'll be able to see all available courses and all pre-reqs for them. You have enough electives in your first year to take both, if you wish (6 credits).
2. Take whichever biochem courses it is (not sure if you need just the first one or both) either during your summer after first year, or as your electives during your 2nd and 3rd year.

Please note that, if money is a concern and you are firm in your decision to pursue medical school, I would not recommend medrad. It's a great program and I'm quite happy in it, but it costs more than your regular 4 year undergrad program. You have to pay for your clinical practicum, so you're essentially in school for 2 more semesters (and thus paying for 2 more semesters) than most 4 year programs. That's >$6000. You will also very likely have to relocate from Hamilton for at least 1 of your clinicals, if not both, and so you will have to find housing and such in another city. That is not negotiable.

On the other hand, I'm sure the medical knowledge would be a great foundation for you if you were to pursue med school afterwards, especially if you want to eventually specialize in radiography or oncology.

FutureMEDRAD says thanks to Amaryll for this post.
Old 03-17-2013 at 01:30 AM   #9
fusionorchid

Liked: 6 Times

If you take the right courses as electives, you should be able to meet all the prerequisites for med school. however, keep in mind:

1. as mentioned, you'll have clinical in 2nd year summer, and all of 4th year. you can be relocated for your clinical terms, and no, you can't switch clinicals with anyone else. you'll be ranking your choices from a list, and the results are final.

2. having courses in your second and third year summer means you don't have time to study for your mcat. people spend summers studying for mcat, and you don't get that because you only have first year summer. second year is full clinical (it's more physically draining than you would expect) and third year is filled with courses (normal people take 2 courses in the summer, you get to take 5).

3. medrad is filled with pass/fail courses. your gpa could suffer dramatically, because even though you're taking just as many courses as everyone else, it doesn't mean all your marks go on your transcript. E.g. skills is a pass or fail course in second year, and you need a 70 to pass. no matter how high your mark is, it will only show up as a P or an F, and it does NOT affect your gpa.

4. the medical radiation sciences program is meant to train technologists. On the first day of the first class in medrad, the instructor told us: if you came into medrad wanting to be a radiologist, you're in the wrong program.

if your end goal is to do medicine, then i wouldn't suggest medrad, but lifesci (biochem) or healthsci instead.

FutureMEDRAD says thanks to fusionorchid for this post.
Old 03-17-2013 at 09:24 AM   #10
FutureMEDRAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaryll View Post
Mac courses ending in "3" are 3 credits, meaning, 1 semester. Ones ending in 6 are 6 credits, meaning full year. Pass/fail courses do not affect your average. I believe for some med schools you need biochem? I'm not sure, I've never looked into it. If that's the case, this is how you would have to do it:

1. Take the pre-reqs: Chem 1A03 and Chem 1AA3. If you download the undergraduate calendar (google it, it's a pdf), you'll be able to see all available courses and all pre-reqs for them. You have enough electives in your first year to take both, if you wish (6 credits).
2. Take whichever biochem courses it is (not sure if you need just the first one or both) either during your summer after first year, or as your electives during your 2nd and 3rd year.

Please note that, if money is a concern and you are firm in your decision to pursue medical school, I would not recommend medrad. It's a great program and I'm quite happy in it, but it costs more than your regular 4 year undergrad program. You have to pay for your clinical practicum, so you're essentially in school for 2 more semesters (and thus paying for 2 more semesters) than most 4 year programs. That's >$6000. You will also very likely have to relocate from Hamilton for at least 1 of your clinicals, if not both, and so you will have to find housing and such in another city. That is not negotiable.

On the other hand, I'm sure the medical knowledge would be a great foundation for you if you were to pursue med school afterwards, especially if you want to eventually specialize in radiography or oncology.
How much is the clinical practium cost for the summer? Like base cost and additional travel fees, moving expenses?
Old 03-17-2013 at 09:27 AM   #11
FutureMEDRAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionorchid View Post
If you take the right courses as electives, you should be able to meet all the prerequisites for med school. however, keep in mind:

1. as mentioned, you'll have clinical in 2nd year summer, and all of 4th year. you can be relocated for your clinical terms, and no, you can't switch clinicals with anyone else. you'll be ranking your choices from a list, and the results are final.

2. having courses in your second and third year summer means you don't have time to study for your mcat. people spend summers studying for mcat, and you don't get that because you only have first year summer. second year is full clinical (it's more physically draining than you would expect) and third year is filled with courses (normal people take 2 courses in the summer, you get to take 5).

3. medrad is filled with pass/fail courses. your gpa could suffer dramatically, because even though you're taking just as many courses as everyone else, it doesn't mean all your marks go on your transcript. E.g. skills is a pass or fail course in second year, and you need a 70 to pass. no matter how high your mark is, it will only show up as a P or an F, and it does NOT affect your gpa.

4. the medical radiation sciences program is meant to train technologists. On the first day of the first class in medrad, the instructor told us: if you came into medrad wanting to be a radiologist, you're in the wrong program.

if your end goal is to do medicine, then i wouldn't suggest medrad, but lifesci (biochem) or healthsci instead.
Yeah, I was interested in MedRadSci once I heard of it, and I can imagine myself in that position. My dad is a little nervous of this program because he said "college students could take your job". And Im totally okay with getting into medradsci. But once Im done, I think I might as well at least try applying for med schools which dont have any prerequisites and only need a certain number of credits.
Old 03-17-2013 at 09:30 AM   #12
FutureMEDRAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilton View Post
But doesnt medradsci give you a Bachelor of Medical Radiation Sciences in the end?
Old 03-17-2013 at 10:54 AM   #13
Alert Moderator & Admin
Add negative rating6 / 4Add positive rank
The MI community has ranked down this post by Philipp31.
Click here to view it anyways.