MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Landlord needs SIN, license, and bank info patela77 Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 31 01-14-2011 12:08 AM
Awful Landlord DannyV General Discussion 18 08-02-2009 04:24 AM
sketchy landlord? shleyaa General Discussion 11 01-13-2009 07:34 PM

Can my landlord do this?

Old 03-03-2011 at 10:19 PM   #31
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by danallan View Post
do you live on bowman st.? cuz nobody on the street shovels their damn sidewalks!

just curious lol. makes me mad walking to school.
lol no, we're actually on Norfolk pretty much next door to Tally Ho's.
Old 03-03-2011 at 10:26 PM   #32
lilkarina

Liked: 8 Times

unfortunately if it's in your lease that you guys have to shovel the snow then you gotta pay the fine. i understand where you're coming from with having lazy housemates that don't so any chores around the house. my place has 4 guys and 3 girls and other than myself i've only seen one one maybe two of the guys clean anything in the house. some how me being the smallest girl is the one who has to shovel a path on the driveway so my car can get i even though 5 of us have a car. upstairs is all girls but the bathroom is so dirty and i'm the only one who wipes down the counter and empties the garbage bin. not only that but i'm not here on sunday nights so when i drive up monday mornings and see the garbabge truck has passed i have to hope that some one has put the garbage out. hasn't happened the last 2 weeks so here's hoping that someone will remember to do it if i leave a message. seems like if you want anything to get done you gotta do it yourself. it was alot easier living with people i knew cause we split the chores up and everyhting was well kept.
/rant
Old 03-03-2011 at 10:31 PM   #33
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
lol no, we're actually on Norfolk pretty much next door to Tally Ho's.
yhelothar, neighbor.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 03-04-2011 at 01:16 AM   #34
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Note to self: Move to Burlington where they clear the sidewalks themselves and don't have this shitty by-law.
Old 03-04-2011 at 05:12 AM   #35
keish

Liked: 9 Times

My parents live in Burlington, pretty sure we have the same bi-law, the city just isn't so **** about it. Could be because they don't live in a student neighborhood where all the non students complain at every chance they get though.

To the OP: tell your landlord the situation, pay your portion of the fine and ask for a receipt that you've paid. It was totally your housemates + your fault so just absolve yourself of the problem. Not worth going to court over.
As for the garbage situation, same story. If you're not the one causing the problem then you need to let your landlord know that so when the shit hits the fan you're not the one taking the blame for it. And leaving notes for your housemates is not a solution. You need to simply tell them you're not their parents and you're not cleaning up after them and that you've absolved yourself with the landlord from their mess.
Old 03-04-2011 at 07:48 AM   #36
JLG 15

Liked: 0 Times

I don't know about here but in St.Catharines it is a $200 fee for not shoveling your side walk and having them come and do it for you, but you can also pay around $200 at the beginning of the season and have them do it for you ever time (probably because we are the Senor citizen capital of Ontario).
We also are only allowed 1 bag of garbage and I have no clue as to how the dorms can through out less than 50lb of garbage, especially if they had 7 people.
I would say pay the bill because the city and the land lord can take you to court!
Old 03-04-2011 at 08:22 AM   #37
mfattal
Elite Member

Liked: 85 Times

try contacting the people who sent you the note and tell them about ur situation, who knows u might get lucky

my mom got away with a 300$ ticket because she crossed a red light lol
Old 03-04-2011 at 09:18 AM   #38
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLG 15 View Post
I don't know about here but in St.Catharines it is a $200 fee for not shoveling your side walk and having them come and do it for you, but you can also pay around $200 at the beginning of the season and have them do it for you ever time (probably because we are the Senor citizen capital of Ontario).
We also are only allowed 1 bag of garbage and I have no clue as to how the dorms can through out less than 50lb of garbage, especially if they had 7 people.
I would say pay the bill because the city and the land lord can take you to court!
Well, you could distribute your garbage among nearby homes with little or no garbage on their garbage pick-up days.
Old 03-04-2011 at 09:20 AM   #39
JBeans

Liked: 14 Times

The landlord is responsible for snow removal, even if they stated it in your lease. it must be a separate agreement.
http://www.moneyville.ca/article/940...to-shovel-snow
Old 03-04-2011 at 09:33 AM   #40
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBeans View Post
The landlord is responsible for snow removal, even if they stated it in your lease. it must be a separate agreement.
http://www.moneyville.ca/article/940...to-shovel-snow
Followed your link and looked into it. You're completely right, the law states the the landlord is responsible for snow removal under the Section 26 of the Residential Tenancies Act of 2006:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Residential Tenancies Act of 2006
26. (1)
Exterior common areas shall be maintained in a condition suitable for their intended use and free of hazards and, for these purposes, the following shall be removed:
1. Noxious weeds as defined in the regulations to the Weed Control Act.
2. Dead, decayed or damaged trees or parts of such trees that create an unsafe condition.
3. Rubbish or debris, including abandoned motor vehicles.
4. Structures that create an unsafe condition.
5. Unsafe accumulations of ice and snow. O. Reg. 517/06, s. 26 (1).
Congratulations Ownaginatios! You now have legal precedent to fight this.

Last edited by REPLEKIA/. : 03-04-2011 at 09:42 AM.

RyanC says thanks to REPLEKIA/. for this post.

RyanC likes this.
Old 03-04-2011 at 10:57 AM   #41
maclover

Liked: 55 Times

good luck in court

Last edited by maclover : 03-04-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 03-04-2011 at 11:02 AM   #42
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclover View Post
good luck in court
"The case then went to the Ontario Court of Appeal and in a decision dated June 29, 2009. The court ruled that since the responsibility for snow removal is the landlord’s under the Act, then the landlord cannot transfer this responsibility to the tenant unless there is separate consideration given. In other words, the landlord would have been required to sign a separate agreement whereby he paid the tenant to remove the snow. Without this, the clause requiring snow removal was void."

Just citing the case to the landlord would probably be enough to get them to pay. Noone is dumb enough to go to court over $200 if they know a similar case was decided against their side of the argument.
Old 03-04-2011 at 11:10 AM   #43
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPLEKIA/. View Post
Congratulations Ownaginatios! You now have legal precedent to fight this.
Awesome! Now I can safely return to my original stance of,

Old 03-04-2011 at 11:13 AM   #44
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by keish View Post
My parents live in Burlington, pretty sure we have the same bi-law, the city just isn't so **** about it. Could be because they don't live in a student neighborhood where all the non students complain at every chance they get though.
Burlington has a different bi-law, where you're not allowed to park in such a way as to block the Bobcats that come by to clear the sidewalks. Maybe it depends on the area, but I know that when I shovel my girlfriend's driveway I never have to do the sidewalk.