MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Driver's License Waterproof? Desda Automotive & Transportation 8 07-22-2010 07:36 PM
Driver's License Photo Allan Automotive & Transportation 4 07-12-2010 07:56 PM
Awful Landlord DannyV General Discussion 18 08-02-2009 04:24 AM
sketchy landlord? shleyaa General Discussion 11 01-13-2009 07:34 PM
BMO Bank Machine? tristic General Discussion 2 09-10-2008 09:01 AM

Landlord needs SIN, license, and bank info

Old 01-13-2011 at 03:17 PM   #1
patela77

Liked: 0 Times

Landlord needs SIN, license, and bank info
Hey,

So leasing a house for the first time (for next year) and the landlords requested a photocopy of my license, my SIN number and bank information (including account #). Is this normal? Kind of just struck out to me being very personal information. Also, my roommate is an international student, so the landlord asked him for a copy of his passport and student visa. We're both confused.

Thanks
Old 01-13-2011 at 03:19 PM   #2
sf

Liked: 36 Times

I have looked at quite a few houses and have never heard of a landlord wanting all of this. The most I have been asked for are references. This seems kind of sketchy to me.
Old 01-13-2011 at 03:21 PM   #3
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times

some do. but you can refuse to give your sin.
Old 01-13-2011 at 03:30 PM   #4
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 815 Times

wtf..... you dont have to give your landlord your sin number
Old 01-13-2011 at 03:41 PM   #5
dmzz
Polymath extraordinaire.

Liked: 51 Times

If I were you, I would legitimately report this guy to the police. You do not, ever, under any circumstances, give out your SIN #. This sounds like identity theft.

Rakim likes this.
Old 01-13-2011 at 04:01 PM   #6
Sideout

Liked: 6 Times

Visit the McMaster Off-Campus Resource Centre website for more information about leasing a place. http://macoffcampus.mcmaster .ca/index.php

I also suggest that you take a copy of the lease to their office. A knowledgeable person there can review the lease with you and help answer any questions you may have about renting. Remember, "A lease is a legal contract; once you’ve signed one, you are responsible for the rental payments until the end of the term".

The Off-Campus Resource Centre is located in the student centre (MUSC), Lower Level, Room B112.

Good luck!

RyanC says thanks to Sideout for this post.
Old 01-13-2011 at 04:06 PM   #7
Scuderia
RocketSaurus

Liked: 110 Times

call the cops.
Old 01-13-2011 at 04:28 PM   #8
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Report him now.
Old 01-13-2011 at 04:32 PM   #9
stevenmm

Liked: 17 Times

They can ask for your SIN number but you can refuse. Most likely asking for it to do a credit check, they likely just want it to confirm the credit report is yours.

A lot more landlords are asking for more information now a days because many landlords have had experiences of their rental properties being damaged.
Old 01-13-2011 at 04:33 PM   #10
Charbs

Liked: 33 Times

agree with above posts

absolutely do NOT give this guy all that information.
He does not need your sin number for any legal reason, its your right not to have to give that out.

he also doesnt need your bank information, he can ask for post-dated cheques and thats all the information he needs...

as for your friend, he may be checking to make sure your friend isn't illegal, but I dont see why he needs copies of those things... he should only need to visually see them...

definitely go to the office and find out what they think you should do...
Old 01-13-2011 at 04:40 PM   #11
stevenmm

Liked: 17 Times

No point in calling the police it is not illegal for a landlord to ask for your Social insurance number.

According to the government of Canada "Some private-sector organizations may ask for your SIN. This practice is strongly discouraged, but it is not illegal".

http://www.servicecanada.gc. ca/eng.../provide.shtml

Plus every place I have rented I have been asked for this information. Most landlords ask for this info (bank info, SIN, and Drivers licience) including big rental companies like Homestead Landholdings Ltd it is not illegal.

Last edited by stevenmm : 01-13-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-13-2011 at 05:08 PM   #12
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbs View Post
agree with above posts

absolutely do NOT give this guy all that information.
He does not need your sin number for any legal reason, its your right not to have to give that out.

he also doesnt need your bank information, he can ask for post-dated cheques and thats all the information he needs...

as for your friend, he may be checking to make sure your friend isn't illegal, but I dont see why he needs copies of those things... he should only need to visually see them...

definitely go to the office and find out what they think you should do...
Actually, he CAN'T ask for post dated cheques. You can give them to him all you want, but he can't ask for them.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 01-13-2011 at 06:34 PM   #13
Charbs

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Actually, he CAN'T ask for post dated cheques. You can give them to him all you want, but he can't ask for them.
yeah what i meant by that is any information he needs is on the cheques you make out to him...
he doesnt need account information cause he doesnt need into the account at all...

it all makes sense in my head i swear lol
Old 01-13-2011 at 07:07 PM   #14

Liked: 8 Times

While it is likely not a scam, if you feel uncomfortable just leave out your SIN and account number.

Keep in mind how you refuse though, being particularly awkward and abrasive before signing a lease may lead a landlord to not let you have the house. It is still early in the year, they could easily rent it out before the end of school year.

The reality is that renting to students is a PITA; they break things, they make a huge mess, they are awkward and miss payments (in b4 "my house is clean and we always pay on time"). The landlord is probably trying to protect themselves because of bad experiences.

But again if you don't feel comfortable giving that information, then don't. There is always a chance your landlord will be difficult to deal with, and maybe you don't want your enemy having that information.

Don't phone the police, its that kind of attitude towards landlords which leads to trouble and friction.

kevinf, lorii, stevenmm like this.
Old 01-13-2011 at 09:21 PM   #15
kevinf

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by 158701 View Post
While it is likely not a scam, if you feel uncomfortable just leave out your SIN and account number.

Keep in mind how you refuse though, being particularly awkward and abrasive before signing a lease may lead a landlord to not let you have the house. It is still early in the year, they could easily rent it out before the end of school year.

The reality is that renting to students is a PITA; they break things, they make a huge mess, they are awkward and miss payments (in b4 "my house is clean and we always pay on time"). The landlord is probably trying to protect themselves because of bad experiences.

But again if you don't feel comfortable giving that information, then don't. There is always a chance your landlord will be difficult to deal with, and maybe you don't want your enemy having that information.

Don't phone the police, its that kind of attitude towards landlords which leads to trouble and friction.
I completely agree, if you want the place, its unwise to not provide information, if your not comfortable, find a new place. My dad was a landlord, and after being defenseless against awful tenants (piles of garbage, pets that were banned in lease, smoking, etc) anyone that would not provide adequate information is seen as trying to hide something and marked as suspicious. As someone mentioned, SIN numbers are often needed for instant credit reports found online.

As an FYI Landlords have almost ZERO power against tenants. It costs 150$ (expense of landlord) just to bring someone to Tenant court and even in a successful ruling it still gives i believe 2 months for the tenant to leave. Leases that you sign, eg: can't smoke, no pets, etc, are WORTHLESS in court as well.