MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To fail, or not to fail? That is the question... sniderj Academics 13 04-22-2010 06:09 PM
ECON 1B03, need to switch afternoon class for the morning class. Sintos Academics 3 01-06-2010 05:12 PM
fail?? nikJ Academics 5 10-26-2009 09:05 PM
Large dead insects on campus HeatherH General Discussion 36 08-16-2009 11:21 AM

can a professor fail a large portion of the class?

Old 04-16-2010 at 10:49 AM   #46
MarkA

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiotjanicki View Post
Heh, I'm waiting to get pretty much destroyed on the 2C03 exam by Janicki. It's not a good feeling when then TA says you're screwed no matter how well you're doing in the course.

I'm 99% sure this guy would have been gone as a prof over 10 years ago if it weren't for the fact that he churns out research papers like no other.

No matter how good is this guy in research, he should have been stopped teaching. If he is good at research, he should only work in research and be prevented from destroying students and their careers. I guess it is all because of the stupid policy of universities that let such people stay in their positions.
Anyway, if you are able to get an old exam, it'll mostly be the same as I heard from a very old student. The only problem is that I can't seem to find one.
It's funny, because Janicki's not actually that bad of a prof. I'm in the compsci portion of the class, and compared to Sekerinski in Compsci 2CA3/ SoftEng 3GA3, Janicki's awesome.

The class average in 2C03 right now is roughly 60%, if I'm guessing right. 55% at least. Compared to some courses, that's not bad. As for the TA, right now I'm not sure I believe her; I can't really see the final being that difficult. Long, yes. But it's 3 hours for a reason, and there's the potential to get above 100%, so you don't even have to finish to get perfect.

Have fun with Sekerinski next year. You'll be wishing you had Janicki again when the entire class is failing (midterm averages were 15% and 45%).
Old 04-16-2010 at 11:14 AM   #47
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkA View Post
The class average in 2C03 right now is roughly 60%, if I'm guessing right. 55% at least.
I think it might be a bit less, but that's probably because of all the retards that don't start the assignments till the last second, and then get like 40% (which judging by the grades appears to be more the software engineering portion :p).

And ya, I think Nadya might be trolling. She said after the tutorial that she hadn't actually seen the exam...

Last edited by Ownaginatios : 04-16-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-16-2010 at 01:11 PM   #48
cowpuppy

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post
lol
people think engineering is difficult. I just think engineers are stupid.

srsly. who cares how the class does, it's all about how well you do.

if the tests are unfair that's one thing, you can complain. but if the tests are reasonable (i.e. at least one person gets 90+) then you should just study more. idiots.
QFT.

6char
Old 04-16-2010 at 08:53 PM   #49
idiotjanicki

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
It's funny, because Janicki's not actually that bad of a prof. I'm in the compsci portion of the class, and compared to Sekerinski in Compsci 2CA3/ SoftEng 3GA3, Janicki's awesome.

I can't really see the final being that difficult. Long, yes. But it's 3 hours for a reason, and there's the potential to get above 100%, so you don't even have to finish to get perfect.
Well in this case you are like who is comparing a rotten apple with a decayed banana, they all are useless!!!!.

It's true the exam is three hours but for seventeen questions you'll get less than 11 minutes for each question, so do u think it's enough just to draw an empty tree or a graph twenty times to show all the steps as Mr. Janicki persists, the reason of three hour exams is to give the student enough time to think and write, not to give the prof more time to squeeze more of long questions, just compare to Dr. Wassyng's exams to see the difference.
Finally, I don't believe in that stupid policy of giving you a ten dollars discount when you pay 150$ for an item which is 50$ worth?. For me, this is just how the potential to get above 100% is like.
Old 04-16-2010 at 09:32 PM   #50
idiotjanicki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
I think it might be a bit less, but that's probably because of all the retards that don't start the assignments till the last second, and then get like 40% (which judging by the grades appears to be more the software engineering portion :p).

And ya, I think Nadya might be trolling. She said after the tutorial that she hadn't actually seen the exam...
I don't know how early you should start the assignment to get it done on time if you are not copying it from an old solution, especially when you have other courses to look after. The only thing I'm sure of is that those assignments were more test of labour than skill, especially when the textbook referenced by Mr. Janicki is the worst ever and doesn't contain most of the course material (have a look at Cormen's book to see the difference), regardless of his messy lecture notes.
I mean you can show ur ability to sort by sorting either 8 numbers or 30 numbers, the only difference is that the time required to show the steps grwos exponentially.
Also, I don't understand why there were questions about programming as long as this is not a programming course, or was it only to torture students.

Finally, Nadya is not trolling, she didn't see the exam but she knows most of the questions will be repeated every year as I said before.
Old 04-16-2010 at 09:46 PM   #51
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
I don't know how early you should start the assignment to get it done on time if you are not copying it from an old solution, especially when you have other courses to look after.
As soon as possible? I typically start it a week before it's due, and I've gotten it done in time every time. A lot of people I see starting it as late as the night before... clearly that's not going to work. I can't sympathize with people who start that late, because they very clearly saw what they were up against. Especially for assignment 2, for which we were given nearly an entire extra month.

Quote:
The only thing I'm sure of is that those assignments were more test of labour than skill, especially when the textbook referenced by Mr. Janicki is the worst ever and doesn't contain most of the course material (have a look at Cormen's book to see the difference), regardless of his messy lecture notes.
I mean you can show ur ability to sort by sorting either 8 numbers or 30 numbers, the only difference is that the time required to show the steps grwos exponentially.
I completely agree with you on that; the book is terrible and littered with grammatical errors. That proof of stable matching for our midterm is honestly one of the most poorly written things I've seen in a long time. The way it was written made it seem like they were saying the complete opposite of what they meant.

And ya, there is no reason we should need to sort 30 elements as opposed to 10. I guess in a way though, you'll never forget how to do it :p.

Quote:
Also, I don't understand why there were questions about programming as long as this is not a programming course, or was it only to torture students.
The programs weren't very difficult to implement and were to give us a better understanding of how those two algorithms worked. I would have preferred he had chosen two a bit easier to understand though.

Quote:
Finally, Nadya is not trolling, she didn't see the exam but she knows most of the questions will be repeated every year as I said before.
I don't think it will be as bad as she makes it sound. She acts like it's completely not doable. I actually have an old exam, but it's really old (like 2002). Dunno how helpful it will be.
Old 04-17-2010 at 02:44 PM   #52
MarkA

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Well in this case you are like who is comparing a rotten apple with a decayed banana, they all are useless!!!!.

It's true the exam is three hours but for seventeen questions you'll get less than 11 minutes for each question, so do u think it's enough just to draw an empty tree or a graph twenty times to show all the steps as Mr. Janicki persists, the reason of three hour exams is to give the student enough time to think and write, not to give the prof more time to squeeze more of long questions, just compare to Dr. Wassyng's exams to see the difference.
Finally, I don't believe in that stupid policy of giving you a ten dollars discount when you pay 150$ for an item which is 50$ worth?. For me, this is just how the potential to get above 100% is like.
Going from the length of the questions on the midterm, ya, 11 minutes should be fine.

The assignments were quite long and tedious, but I'm happy that now I know exactly how to do the algorithms for the exam, which will be shorter than the assignments.

As for the potential to get above 100%, it means extra marks for everyone. What's the problem?
Old 04-19-2010 at 01:30 PM   #53
kirchhoff

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
He means he got 59.7% cumulative, but probably failed the exam.
Actually, I bombed the midterm and got 60 something on the final.
Old 04-20-2010 at 02:04 PM   #54
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkA View Post
As for the TA, right now I'm not sure I believe her; I can't really see the final being that difficult. Long, yes. But it's 3 hours for a reason, and there's the potential to get above 100%, so you don't even have to finish to get perfect.
lol, so much for that.

Wholy shit, we got ****ing owned hardcore. Even if you knew exactly what you were doing, there were way too many questions to ensure that you could not physically write all that out.

That exam was longer than our assignments... which we were given a month to do 0_o.
Old 04-20-2010 at 05:28 PM   #55
idiotjanicki

Quote:
there were way too many questions to ensure that you could not physically write all that out.
Do you see guys what I meant?
I wish I was wrong, at least it would have meant "there is a chance to pass".

Here is my evaluation of the course and the prof:
The worst prof
complete incapability of teaching
inconsistent speech that you can't understand a word
extremely long & brutal assignments and final
messy and bad slides with the worst usage (keeps changing and flipping them every 30 seconds, u can't even read a complete line between each flip)
the worst text nomination (doesnt contain most of the material).
This guy shld've been stopped teaching no matter how good in research he is.
The material is quiet interesting, but the way it is laid out makes it tedious and completely distracts students from the original pupose of the course which is to design algorithms and analyze complexity where you get shocked by that in the final.
Old 04-20-2010 at 05:37 PM   #56
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Ya... while studying, I found a lot of the "proving" content filling most of the slides completely unnecessary (we don't need every minute mathematical detail of why a stack is a stack). I was really annoyed that the exam fixated so much on algorithms, rather than the millions of data structures we had to focus on in the assignments. I spent a long time learning hashing inside out... and then it didn't even show up on the exam.

I'm going to wait until I see my final mark. I got a high 80 on the midterm, a low 90 on the first assignment, and perfect on the second; so if I end with like a 5 or something I'm going to write a letter complaining to the dean.

It's unfortunate that one of our most important courses to the program has to be of such poor quality. We get a completely unqualified TA that doesn't know shit and a prof that doesn't give a shit... ughhh.

It should be a policy of the university that all profs should have to do a year of teachers college or something before teaching students. A PHD doesn't at all mean you're qualified to teach to others.

Last edited by Ownaginatios : 04-20-2010 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-20-2010 at 06:18 PM   #57
idiotjanicki

Yea. This course and math 2MM3(2ZZ3) are the biggest destroyers.
Students are asked to overcome long and hard problems in such a short time while during the course they were taught only the basics.
A good educational process is to teach students hard things and then ask about the basics as long as they have a long life and a relaxed environments to experience the material when they really need it (i.e. exactly the opposite way).
Maybe a teacher's college is a good strategy to deliver this idea to professors unless the instructors in the teacher's college have the same wrong mentality.

The best courses I've taken so far is STAT 3Y03 With Dr. Childs, and SFWR 2AA4 with Dr. Wassyng (thumps up). Hopefully we get more like these.
Old 04-20-2010 at 06:35 PM   #58
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Quote:

It should be a policy of the university that all profs should have to do a year of teachers college or something before teaching students. A PHD doesn't at all mean you're qualified to teach to others.
+1
One of my best profs this year is actually a high school teacher. Meaning, you know, he actually knows how to teach.
Old 04-20-2010 at 10:40 PM   #59
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Hatala?^
Old 04-20-2010 at 10:42 PM   #60
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

most deff