MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grading System? Lana02 Academics 4 09-19-2011 12:09 AM
volunteer in a prof's lab ae1011 Volunteering Opportunities 2 05-16-2011 06:43 AM
Grading on a Curve Cliu91 Academics 16 10-21-2010 09:53 PM
Grading System kenneth526 Academics 7 01-26-2009 02:55 PM

Can Prof's Change the Grading Scheme?

Old 01-26-2012 at 11:51 AM   #1
Elliott779

Liked: 35 Times

Can Prof's Change the Grading Scheme?
Hey MI,

So one of my classes is absolutely terrible. The prof just reads directly from the slides, but at a pace so slow, I can feel myself age just a little bit each time he finishes a sentence. As a result, I've stopped going to class. It is literally pointless. Anyways, apparently lots of other people have had this same idea, and he's recently posted the following on avenue:

There can be a SURPRISE QUIZ on the material we covered in previous class, which can be given, at the begining, during, or towards the end of the class. This policy will stay effective for the rest of the winter 2012 semester. Anyone ABSENT from this version of evaluation will risk DEDUCTIONS of few points from the final total earned points. Points earned from this evaluation will be added as a BONUS toward final total earned points.

Is that allowed? I recall reading in some course syllabuses (sp - syllabi?) from previous years and courses that "The professor retains the right to modify grades blah blah providing it results in a higher grade and is equal for everyone".

Is he allowed to, on a whim, decide to implement a system like this, half-way through the semester? Bonus marks, I can understand, as it is in line with the above policy. But deductions from your final mark? It's not even clearly outlined. How many quizzes? Are there a max number of deductions?

Anyone have any insight?
Old 01-26-2012 at 11:57 AM   #2
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

its allowed, usually at the end of a course outline there is a disclaimer that states the prof can change the weighting.
Old 01-26-2012 at 04:00 PM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Random quiz, random format, random weighting, and random number of them. Thanks faculty of engineering.

Any questions? *question* *unintelligible answer*

Afzal, Elliott779, Ish001, muons like this.
Old 01-26-2012 at 04:07 PM   #4
uhedag

Liked: 3 Times

You should talk to the Ombuds Office.

I had a similar experience in one of my courses. My friend went to the Ombuds Office. The Ombuds disapproved of both mandatory lectures and syllabus changes. The professor revoked the change.

It sounds like our prof was crazier than yours, but I still think the Ombuds might be willing to talk to them.

I've attached my friend's arguments to the Ombuds (apparently putting them in writing turned out to be totally unnecessary).
Attached Images
File Type: pdf grievance.pdf (75.8 KB, 94 views)

Elliott779 says thanks to uhedag for this post.

Snowman likes this.
Old 01-26-2012 at 05:45 PM   #5
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

The blurb you're thinking about - "the prof has the right to change anything on the outline etc" - was done during the TA strike. Since they didn't know if/when the TAs were coming back, they might have had to change the marking scheme around at the last minute.

I'm thinking he's allowed to do this though, even without the disclaimer on the outline. I've had profs who don't follow the lecture schedule (ie. outline says we're supposed to talk about [issue 1] during a certain week, but they bump it back to the following week). I've never heard any prof get in trouble for that.

But I would take uhedog's advice and check with the Ombuds office. It doesn't hurt to try.
Old 01-26-2012 at 06:11 PM   #6
Elliott779

Liked: 35 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhedag View Post

I had a similar experience in one of my courses. My friend went to the Ombuds Office. The Ombuds disapproved of both mandatory lectures and syllabus changes. The professor revoked the change.

It sounds like our prof was crazier than yours, but I still think the Ombuds might be willing to talk to them.

I've attached my friend's arguments to the Ombuds (apparently putting them in writing turned out to be totally unnecessary).
Thanks so much! This is exactly what I'm looking for, the part about The Undergraduate Course Management Policies is perfect ammunition : )
Old 01-26-2012 at 06:38 PM   #7
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

Curious what course is this?
Old 01-26-2012 at 06:51 PM   #8
--HP--

Liked: 53 Times

Engineer 2B03
Old 01-26-2012 at 10:43 PM   #9
sinnersdrown

Liked: 89 Times

Professors like to get drunk off power
Old 01-26-2012 at 11:18 PM   #10
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

oh lol. i went to one of those classes. 10 mins on one topics about something even a frade 8 should be able to understand
Old 01-26-2012 at 11:26 PM   #11
Reno V

Liked: 38 Times

Gotta love ENG 2B03 lol
Old 01-27-2012 at 12:48 AM   #12
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

I have a feeling that it's mostly a bluff to get students to show up to class. If they see enough empty seats, they will have that pop quiz to scare people into showing up next time. After all, if you were a prof, especially if you're new enough to be bothered by it, wouldn't you be pissed off if people thought you or your class is a waste of time and ~50% of the people showed up and you can't just walk out and relax because there's still people there to learn?
Old 01-27-2012 at 12:53 AM   #13
hydravien

Liked: 0 Times

I'll chime in too and say that this is by far the most tedious and boring class I have EVER gone to, though I still go to it.

The prof is pretty terrible (bordering on incompetent I'd say) and explains things at a snails pace. "This equation is difficult. It has an exponential in it"

Plus his inability to discern the difference between compound and regular interest today blew my mind. I've taken to playing 'bullshit bingo' during the class. Bingo dabbers and all.

From what I understand, he can change the outline. However, he can't just impose changes on a whim and they must all be done in writing, and the course outline updated. Desipite him in class saying, verbatim "Consider this your updated course outline."

I will also be lodging a formal complaint with someone. This guy is treating this class like it's a bunch of highschoolers (granted it is like... grade 5 math) and it is annoying...

Until such time though... See you in class
Old 01-27-2012 at 12:55 AM   #14
hydravien

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhedag View Post

Have 3PI this term as well. He is still pulling the 'mandatory attendance or no bell curving' thing again this year, so I'm not sure what's changed.
Old 01-27-2012 at 12:55 AM   #15
muons

Liked: 84 Times

I have read that on numerous course outlines and yes, they can. This prof sounds evil! But, judging for what I heard about your past midterm I think you can afford to lose a few precents