MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To origins or not to origins Sheikia Academics 13 06-13-2011 02:58 PM
Daily game Nov 11 : Epic Combo! Chad Daily Game 0 11-11-2010 04:32 AM
Which is better? A difficult degree with a slightly lower mark or an easier degree... Porsche Academics 14 06-04-2010 10:57 PM

Can I take an Origins/Co-op combo degree?

Old 06-19-2012 at 09:37 AM   #1
walterms

Liked: 0 Times

Can I take an Origins/Co-op combo degree?
I'll be entering Physical Sciences I in Fall. I'm trying to plan my time-table for 2nd year and I'm interested in either the Origins Specialization or the Co-op. So I got this crazy idea, could I combine these? Or am I just a damn fool?

Also, if anybody has any comments about these to programs individually, I'd love to hear. Thanks! ^w^
Old 06-19-2012 at 10:21 AM   #2
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

If I were you, I wouldn't worry so much about planning your second year courses. I can almost guarantee you that it won't go the way you planned it.
Instead, find a few programs that you would like to specialize in (it seems you've already put some effort into that), and then make sure you have the first year requirements to apply to those programs. Worry about second year later. You haven't even started first year yet.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 06-19-2012 at 10:46 AM   #3
walterms

thanks for the insight there's just one thing...and it's not a huge deal...
I didn't take gr.12 bio. The origin requires bio 1ao/mo3, which is "strongly recommended in level 1". This would mean for me to take the gr.12 equivalent 1P03 as well. If i did co-op, these wouldn't be necessary. But i mean, I could take them in 2nd year or the summer before if I chose Origins right so...
Old 06-19-2012 at 10:56 AM   #4
Bug324

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterms View Post
thanks for the insight there's just one thing...and it's not a huge deal...
I didn't take gr.12 bio. The origin requires bio 1ao/mo3, which is "strongly recommended in level 1". This would mean for me to take the gr.12 equivalent 1P03 as well. If i did co-op, these wouldn't be necessary. But i mean, I could take them in 2nd year or the summer before if I chose Origins right so...
Haha, this is exactly the same reason I didn't choose origins for next year! A lot of the origins courses are open to everyone, so I figured it would be better to just pick and choose as electives. I did some research in April on catching up on the bios, though, and the Independent Learning Centre is a good option for SBI4U and A LOT cheaper than 1P03: http://www.ilc.org/school/enrol_hs_18plus.php

walterms says thanks to Bug324 for this post.
Old 06-19-2012 at 11:16 AM   #5
Serene
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

I highly recommend co-op, since the work experience you'll gain in co-op is invaluable for your future . I know I'm in co-op so I'm slightly biased

If you are interested in the origin courses you can still take them as electives. Most honour co-op programs have plenty of elective space. But alas you can't specialize in origin while in a co-op program.
Old 06-19-2012 at 03:35 PM   #6
walterms

But I could minor in origins with co-op now couldn't I...
Old 06-19-2012 at 04:00 PM   #7
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Yup. If there was a way to do Origins and Co-op I would have done that, but right now I'm just minoring in Origins. So far, I think that's been the right decision for me. Better work experience, better pay, and the Origins courses serve as a great break from my regular Mol Bio/Genetics classes.