MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Course conflict :/ Salik Academics 6 11-28-2011 11:12 PM
conflict karna Academics 3 08-24-2010 11:47 AM
What happens if I keep a conflict? Kathy2 Academics 3 09-12-2009 09:35 AM
conflict ,,, raja First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 09-06-2009 10:36 AM
course conflict!! Skyisblue First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 09-01-2009 03:17 PM

Can you take a course when theres a conflict?

Old 06-06-2012 at 01:33 AM   #1
amare

Liked: 22 Times

Can you take a course when theres a conflict?
So im pretty much really set on taking 2 cources that I really want to take. The problem is that they conflict with each other on one day. The one course (COMMERCE 2BA3) is at 4:30 on a Tuesday, and 3:30 on Monday and Thursday; while my other course is at 4:30 on Tuesday and 5:30 on Wednesday. Its the Tuesday spot thats conflicting, but im pretty sure i can handle that. Is there anyway I could take both the courses even if they conflict on just one day?
Old 06-06-2012 at 02:35 AM   #2
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

I've heard of people doing that; they then alternate between going to classes for either. I'm not really sure, but I don't think the conflict will prevent you from adding the courses.
Old 06-06-2012 at 03:41 AM   #3
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

you'd really have to be careful with that, especially if midterms and quizzes are done in-class and whatnot.
Old 06-06-2012 at 04:52 AM   #4
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Whoops, that totally slipped my mind, haha. Those are things to keep in mind.
Old 06-06-2012 at 07:30 AM   #5
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

ooburii hit it right on the spot. The taking of two classes that have lectures conflicting with each other is fully allowed, but you must watch out for in class quizzes as well as the potential of any labs conflicting if there are any. although labs can easily be manuevered to other sections. Even if there are in class quizzes, talking with your professors would surely produce some solution to work around the conflict
Old 06-06-2012 at 08:03 AM   #6
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Although if exams come out and you have a conflict they apparently won't do anything about it. They tend to schedule exams at the same time for classes at the same time, to minimize chances of conflicts.

amare says thanks to nerual for this post.
Old 06-06-2012 at 01:04 PM   #7
amare

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Although if exams come out and you have a conflict they apparently won't do anything about it. They tend to schedule exams at the same time for classes at the same time, to minimize chances of conflicts.
Wow is that actually true? Knowing my history of exam schedules, Mac will definitely give me a schedule with an exam conflict. I wouldve been set on taking the course after everything i've heard, but after reading this i dont anymore.
Old 06-06-2012 at 02:11 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by amare View Post
Wow is that actually true? Knowing my history of exam schedules, Mac will definitely give me a schedule with an exam conflict. I wouldve been set on taking the course after everything i've heard, but after reading this i dont anymore.
Yes, if you take courses with cores that conflict (and there's no combination of sections which could avoid the conflict) then your two exams may conflict. If they do conflict, they have no responsibility to accommodate you meaning that they will not move the exam to another day.

Hopefully someone who has been in this situation will let you know if they were able to defer there exam. If not, then the people to contact would probably be the associates dean's office for the respective courses.

amare likes this.
Old 06-06-2012 at 06:14 PM   #9
neeti10

Liked: 2 Times

Last year I had two exams which conflicted though the class lectures did not conflict. Without me having to contact them, the registrar moved one of the conflicted exams to the next day and just emailed me to tell me. Though I did have an exam from 7-10 one night and then the other at 9am the next day, it was manageable (with an all nighter ) Hope this helps!
Old 06-06-2012 at 06:23 PM   #10
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Unless you're graduating, I think it may be hard to have two conflicting classes. I know Engineering allows it but Science reviews students who are enrolled in conflicts and the Associate Dean's office then has meetings with them later on as the Faculty does not permit conflicts, unless I imagine you were graduating, etc.

The best thing to do is ask your advisors as you wouldn't want to enroll in something only to be forced to drop it later.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 06-06-2012 at 07:33 PM   #11
amare

It looks like im really going to have to figure out which course I want to take the most at this point, which is really unfortunate. I've had exam conflicts in the past (the worst I had was 3 in 18 hours in the first semester this year) and i didnt end up changing those since i would have had to wait until reading week to write the deferred one. The registrar didnt automatically move those ones for me even though none of my classes had a conflict then. I wouldnt want to end up having a conflict with 2 of those exams only find out later I cant do anything about it.
Old 06-06-2012 at 07:50 PM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by amare View Post
The registrar didnt automatically move those ones for me even though none of my classes had a conflict then.
If no one complains then they don't actually do anything, or if people complain too late then they can't do anything about it.

Quote:
The following types of problems should be reported to the Examinations Office Room114, Gilmour Hall after the final timetable is posted. A minimum of ten working days prior to the scheduled examination date is required to facilitate the re-scheduling of examinations.

More than one examination scheduled at the same time.
Three examinations in one calendar day (midnight to midnight).
Three consecutive examinations over two days.
Two consecutive examinations if first one is 3hrs long for December exams only.
The registrar isn't going to go through every students exam timetable to check for these problems (Although they should really have a program to alert them, but I guess they don't) so it's the students' responsibility for letting the registrar know.
Old 06-07-2012 at 11:01 PM   #13
saraa09

Liked: 0 Times

I just took a summer course and the professor told us that if you have classes that have a conflict and then your exams for those classes also end up being a conflict the registrars office will not change the date of any exam. She said there was an instance where one of her students had this problem and he even approached the dean but the dean said he'll have to take both exams at the same time. As in he was to go to one exam, finish that and then rush to the other exam and finish that in the same 3 hour period. Our professor said the office is not responsible for sorting these things out for you because you take conflicting courses at your own risk. I'm not sure if this is faculty specific or not because I only know that one of that student's courses was a social science course and the other one could have been from any faculty.