MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Culture as an excuse for racism Rossclot General Discussion 14 03-06-2010 01:13 PM
Barriers to Health Care Access: Considering Culture temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 4 10-26-2009 08:42 AM

What is Canadian culture?

Old 03-13-2010 at 12:58 PM   #1
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

What is Canadian culture?
I think this is a really interesting topic that's hard to address, since there's obviously so many differing view points and opinions about it. So, I ask everyone, "What is Canadian culture to you?" What does it consist of?

jo87 had an interesting post in another thread, which I pretty much agree with. There's obviously is (there has to be!) some sort of Canadian culture, but what is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo87 View Post
But I think the problem is that we don't see it as much as we see it in other groups. Even on campus there tends to be this domination of other cultures, it's really strange. It would be nice to have more Canada and the history etc, not just focus on how multi-cultural Canada is because I think that is kinda destroying Canadian identity. If Canadian identity becomes multi culture then Canada loses its history. I don't know if that made any sense, but it's just what I've noticed. We need more Canada on campusss we are in Canada after all. And no, having white people on campus does not equal cultural representation of Canada.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Afzal likes this.
Old 03-13-2010 at 01:05 PM   #2
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Can't we keep all these related issues to a single thread?

Old 03-13-2010 at 01:09 PM   #3
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Um, considering the amount of warnings I get for "derailing a thread," I decided maybe it would be better to create it's own thread?

And considering I'm asking what canadian culture means to you, I don't see why it'd be better for me to ask that question in a thread talking about minorities.

Last edited by lawleypop : 03-13-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-13-2010 at 01:10 PM   #4
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Pam Anderson is all the Canadian Culture I need.

I jest...

Kinda....
Old 03-13-2010 at 02:33 PM   #5
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Hockey, poutine, great outdoors, nice cities, laid back/easy going, beer drinking, pot smoking, lots of small towns, rural life, snow, winter, winter activities, charity, multiculturalism (Canadian mosaic), regionalism, partisan politics,

Just a few things I thought of quickly in less than 5 minutes...

Joey likes this.
Old 03-13-2010 at 02:35 PM   #6
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
Hockey, poutine, great outdoors, nice cities, laid back/easy going, beer drinking, pot smoking, lots of small towns, rural life, snow, winter, winter activities, charity, multiculturalism (Canadian mosaic), regionalism, partisan politics,

Just a few things I thought of quickly in less than 5 minutes...
/thread

Taunton likes this.
Old 03-13-2010 at 02:41 PM   #7
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Unique cultures are over rated anyway. Its not like we're unique and special because we have one certain set of traditions. Either they're useful traditions, in which case they'll probably stick around on their own merits, or they're pointless traditions in which case it should be irrelevant whether they disappear or not.
Old 03-13-2010 at 02:56 PM   #8
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
Unique cultures are over rated anyway. Its not like we're unique and special because we have one certain set of traditions. Either they're useful traditions, in which case they'll probably stick around on their own merits, or they're pointless traditions in which case it should be irrelevant whether they disappear or not.

But the uniqueness of the culture brings people together, in Canada we are seperated because theres too many cultures and there isn't one thing we can all have in common. You know how there is Miss Canada, well theres also Miss India Canada, why can't we just have Miss Canada. Probably because India has really distinct fashion and they showcase that through their peagents.
Old 03-13-2010 at 03:05 PM   #9
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo87 View Post
But the uniqueness of the culture brings people together, in Canada we are separated because there are too many cultures and there isn't one thing we can all have in common. You know how there is Miss Canada, well there is also Miss India Canada, why can't we just have Miss Canada. Probably because India has really distinct fashion and they showcase that through their pageants.
I don't see why it's a big deal. Why can't Canada just be place where many different kinds of people live? I don't see why everyone would need to homogenize...
Old 03-13-2010 at 07:44 PM   #10
Joey

Liked: 17 Times

I don't remember where I heard it but someone described Canada as a big small town. I could not agree more. No matter where I have traveled people want to talk to you and are friendly and kind. I think Canada as a whole underestimates itself. We have so much beauty here. We are a strong forgiving people that don't like conflict but are not afraid to help out if need be.

I could go on and on but I won't other than to say one thing and if it pisses you off fine but if you have only experienced a small part of the country it is difficult to get a clear picture. Especially a place like Toronto which really is an over exaggeration of all the different cultures.

Afzal likes this.
Old 03-13-2010 at 08:08 PM   #11
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

Maple Syrup
Old 03-13-2010 at 08:13 PM   #12
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthsci1 View Post
Maple Syrup
Only if it's from Quebec.
Otherwise, it's like any other maple syrup. XD

Old 03-13-2010 at 08:15 PM   #13
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Whenever I think of Canada, the first thing that ALWAYS comes to mind is "polite".

Afzal likes this.
Old 03-13-2010 at 08:17 PM   #14
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

I don't know why people still have that impression.

People aren't polite anymore. Try opening a door for someone. Either you don't get a thanks, or you get an old lady telling you she can bloody well do it for herself.

I don't see us as being more polite than any other place.

Old 03-13-2010 at 08:28 PM   #15
adam7takeo

Liked: 13 Times

mediocre tv shows