MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FYC Election Results are in! stevennevets MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-30-2010 06:49 PM
MSU election techniques Rossclot Presidentials 2010 76 02-03-2010 06:30 AM
SRA 2009 By-Election temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 28 10-23-2009 01:01 AM
Canadian Federal Election lorend ARCHIVES 9 10-14-2008 07:54 PM

Canadian Election

Old 09-24-2008 at 12:37 PM   #16
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Met View Post
Ya our electoral system is just stupid. Because we dont have proportional representation, some people's votes count more than others.

Consider that the Green part has 10% support nationally, while the Bloq Quebeqois has about 8% support. Meanwhile the BQ got 51 MP's elected to parliament, while the green party got zero. Makes absolutely no sense.
correction! green party = 1. lol.
Old 09-24-2008 at 04:51 PM   #17
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch View Post
I'm really interested in the US election, but I have no knowledge of any of the party's ideals here. So I can't give an honest answer to whom I'd rather see in power. Chretien was the best though (is that how you spell it?). Now I don't even know anyone cause we keep changing leaders so often. Harper is similar to Bush in some ways which is not good, but I know nothing about Dion, except that he's french. I see all the negative ads about him on TV, but where are his ads? Even though I can learn about him on the internet, he has seemingly no presence. There was a debate in MDCL? When did this happen? I know it's our job to be informed, but if they want to win they should be advertising their main points and philosophy loudly for everyone to hear. Nonetheless, I hate all the negative ads out their. I really don't like Harper's ad just talking about Dion. What are his policies?

Can Obama just come to our country instead?
lol im sure lots of ppl (J-MET ) would want that lol

and I agree, the voting system is messed up, but I see it as the Conservatives picking up close to a majority..why, its simple, Dion is not a good enough face for the Liberal Leadership

I dont kno about you guys but I hated that dude that told his members to vote Dion in the Liberal Leadership race..I wish that rule never existed, there were BETTER, MUCH BETTER leaders..such as Bob Rae and Michael Ignatieff..no offence to Dion, but it just wont work...its not the fact that he has an accent..Chretian did and I honestly believe hes in the top 5 for best Canadian PMs ever..so gutsy, powerful speeches, and isnt afraid to back down! (Dion lacks all this) He said NO to the War in Iraq..and I still respect him for that..not many people can do that

Alas, we gotta face facts here, the country wont change that much regardless who the leader is..heck, i almost exploded wen i heard Harper beat Paul Martin anf became new PM..i knew it was gonna happen and I thought our system was screwed..well it still is..there are some bugs, but the country is still at peace..my only regret is having our Canadian soldiers fight in a useless war..but w.e. Bush is leaving soon so hopefully Osam....Obama will do a good job, assuming he wins!

My two Canadian Cents..nice to see ppl that take time to care for their country..

Old 09-24-2008 at 08:00 PM   #18
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

I haven't read a lot on the candidates as of yet, so I don't feel I can adequately comment on what is or isn't being said for any of the platforms...

But looky what I got from the David Suzuki Foundation: http://www.voteenvironment20 08.ca/

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 09-24-2008 at 11:41 PM   #19
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

We'll hopefully have some more articles on macinsiders with coverage of the elections. Stay tooned
Old 09-25-2008 at 08:51 AM   #20
finklej
Vice President Education

Liked: 42 Times

Im calling it as a large Conservative minority or slim majority with the NDP as the second party and the Liberals in third.