MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
FYC Election Results are in! stevennevets MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-30-2010 06:49 PM
MSU election techniques Rossclot Presidentials 2010 76 02-03-2010 06:30 AM
Thursday's By-Election c.erl General Discussion 28 02-19-2009 02:00 PM
MSU Presidential Election 2009 Polls Closed lorend MacInsiders Announcements 69 02-08-2009 01:35 PM
Canadian Election J-Met Politics 19 09-25-2008 08:51 AM

SRA 2009 By-Election

2009 SRA October By-Election

The Student Representative Assembly (SRA) is the highest governing body of the McMaster Students Union. SRA members involve themselves in many student issues, sit on various standing committees, and serve as an represention the voice of the student collective. Seek to find out more about each candidate from your faculty and make sure to go out and vote.

Voting is now closed.

The winners from each faculty division are bolded below. Results are not official until after the appeals period. Feel free to further review the platform of the candidates:

Arts & Science: 1 Seat
Joanna Chan
Mary Koziol (facebook)

Engineering: 2 Seats

Michael Carrier
Daniel Elbirt
Fahad Khan

Humanities: 1 Seat
Matthew Dillon-Leitch (facebook)
Ally Enriquez (facebook)
Chris Erl - (facebook, macinsiders)
Sebastian Miller (facebook, macinsiders)

Science: 1 Seat
Richard Cioci - (facebook, macinsiders)
Mariette Lee - (facebook)
Andra Popescu - (facebook)

Social Science: 2 Seats

Mac Armstrong (facebook)
Hadi Behdad (facebook)
Taraneh Etemadi (facebook)
Kelsey Johnson
Francis Jun - (facebook, macinsiders)
Alex Ramirez
Huzaifa Saeed - (facebook, macinsiders)

For more information, you can peruse the Elections Committee's facebook group or website.

*If you are a candidate and would like to link your platform to this article, send a private message to the publisher or email [email protected] om

Chad says thanks to temara.brown for this post.

finklej, jmbauman, Stan, Taunton like this.
Published by
MacInsiders Staff

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 10-18-2009 at 12:41 PM   #2
Stan
Program: Multimedia and Economics
Year: Alumni
Residence: Brandon Hall 306 (06-07), Brandon Hall 237 (07-08), Brandon Hall 626 (08-09), Brandon Hall 7??(09-10

Liked: 10 Times
Definitely make sure to go out and vote. After voting drop by homecoming carnival which is happening on the same day
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 10-18-2009 at 12:56 PM   #3
ferreinm
Elite Member
Program: Philosophy
Year: Fourth
Residence: WHIDDEN HALL

Liked: 120 Times
Please think through who you are going to vote for. Some of those candidates have absolutely no experience at all (at McMaster) and I feel would be incapable of advocating for their students. Students in the SRA or IRC have the potential to create great change yet are often voted on the basis of popularity. That's nice that you have friends and all but I'd rather see students get voted in who will do something for their students and take the SRA onto another and greater level. Best of luck to all of those candidates who truly understand the importance of the SRA and advocating on behalf of their students.

huzaifa47 says thanks to ferreinm for this post.
Old 10-18-2009 at 01:22 PM   #4
FireDragoonX
Elite Member
Faculty: Business / Commerce
Year: Fourth

Liked: 142 Times
WTF is up with the 12 point grading system?

how is that a problem?

I got 6 words for the people wanting to change that:
dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb

Old 10-18-2009 at 01:31 PM   #5
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Biochemistry & Biomedical Sciences
Year: Masters
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 453 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post
WTF is up with the 12 point grading system?

how is that a problem?

I got 6 words for the people wanting to change that:
dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb
I don't really understand the problem people are finding with it, especially since it's almost identical to other Universities that use the letter grading system and it translated so naturally to the 4.0 GPA scale. I think people just find it abstract and therefore complain, though I'll reserve any real judgment until I read a formal complaint about it.
Old 10-18-2009 at 04:01 PM   #6
Matt Wright
Program: Chemical Engineering
Year: Fifth
Residence: The Great City of Hamilton

Liked: 49 Times
Make sure you vote and become aware of the candidates before doing so. Don't make the SRA a popularity contest, but rather a legislative body that represents faculties and students alike.

Engineering, I would like see record numbers at the polls. Please make this a reality.
Old 10-18-2009 at 04:55 PM   #7
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013
MSU Staff
Program: PoliSci & Sociology with Econ Minor
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 360 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
I don't really understand the problem people are finding with it, especially since it's almost identical to other Universities that use the letter grading system and it translated so naturally to the 4.0 GPA scale. I think people just find it abstract and therefore complain, though I'll reserve any real judgment until I read a formal complaint about it.
I thinkkkk we went through this whole issue on Insiders as well! I believe two SRA members Ben Taunton and Jessie Bauman are currently working on it(According to SRA minutes!) I am still confused as to why this issue is still on going and what research the SRA members have that goes against some of the arguments made on that thread. If it REALLY was unfair there would be a serious revolt against it :S
Can someone actually go speak to any stats prof about it? SRA candidates and a couple of Board Of Governor candidates even have it on their poster. I'm So Confused

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 10-18-2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-18-2009
huzaifa47
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 10-18-2009 at 06:06 PM   #8
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
I thinkkkk we went through this whole issue on Insiders as well! I believe two SRA members Ben Taunton and Jessie Bauman are currently working on it(According to SRA minutes!) I am still confused as to why this issue is still on going and what research the SRA members have that goes against some of the arguments made on that thread. If it REALLY was unfair there would be a serious revolt against it :S
Can someone actually go speak to any stats prof about it? SRA candidates and a couple of Board Of Governor candidates even have it on their poster. I'm So Confused
Hopefully you can relay some information to us in regards to the internal workings of the MSU if you get elected I ended up choosing not to run mainly because I didn't feel I had enough time to be on the SRA and be a CA, I'm happy you changed your mind and decided to run; even if I don't always agree with you, I do like your passion and I think your sanguine disposition is something the SRA could use more of.

Good Luck Huzaifa!

huzaifa47 says thanks to Tailsnake for this post.
Old 10-18-2009 at 06:52 PM   #9
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.
Program: Commerce
Year: Third

Liked: 1,373 Times
How come there's no seats for Commerce representatives? I dunno how this works. D:

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 10-18-2009 at 07:01 PM   #10
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
How come there's no seats for Commerce representatives? I dunno how this works. D:
This is a by-election for seats that were not filled during the original election last year or where a SRA member dropped the seat for some reason or another. Commerce just happens to have all it's seats filled.

lawleypop says thanks to Tailsnake for this post.
Old 10-18-2009 at 07:05 PM   #11
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.
Program: Commerce
Year: Third

Liked: 1,373 Times
Quote:
This is a by-election for seats that were not filled during the original election last year or where a SRA member dropped the seat for some reason or another. Commerce just happens to have all it's seats filled.

Ohhh. Kk. Thanks.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 10-18-2009 at 07:24 PM   #12
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013
MSU Staff
Program: PoliSci & Sociology with Econ Minor

Liked: 360 Times
Quote:
All SRA Seats were actually filled during the Original Election in March. People have resigned for various reasons.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 10-18-2009 at 09:29 PM   #13
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)
Program: Business
Year: Other
Residence: Brandon Hall

Liked: 91 Times
As a former SRA member, I can tell you that there are various candidates that are running but have no idea what they are getting themselves into. I checked out a lot of platforms and some are quite disappointing. You do not truly understand how the SRA functions unless you are involved with it (e.g committees) or have come out to a few meetings. Please make sure you check out every candidate's platform to see if the candidate(s) would be the best representative(s) for your faculty. I will definitely be asking candidates questions on their Facebook pages to determine whether or not they realize what the SRA is all about. Furthermore, there are candidates that included points in their platform that are too general. The strong candidates are the ones that included plans they have for the SRA and how they plan on representing the students in their faculty. So please, check out Facebook groups, posters around campus and any other campaign material before voting for your faculty's SRA representative(s).

Last edited by Nino : 10-18-2009 at 09:34 PM.

huzaifa47 says thanks to Nino for this post.

Old 10-18-2009 at 09:55 PM   #14
deadpool
X-Man
Program: Fighting
Year: Other

Liked: 392 Times
Also to add to Fadil's excellent comments:

Don't vote for someone who claims they want to deal with issues that they have 0 control over. I have seen one guy want to deal with the Phoenix, and I have seen people wanting to add debit systems to La Piazza etc.

None of this is feasible from the MSU, nor can a single person do it.

Vote for the people who will represent the opinions of your faculty; not their friends'.

huzaifa47 says thanks to deadpool for this post.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search