MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[urgent] "account is full (quota exceeded)" email problem WekSos Academics 3 07-06-2010 11:33 AM
When is Deferred Exam Grade Release? islytt Academics 1 06-24-2010 07:09 PM
McMaster TAs and RAs request "no board" report: Expected Deadline on or around Oct 30 dsahota General Discussion 174 10-21-2009 04:42 PM
Psychology 1X03's "optional" and "required" texts WitekS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 40 08-26-2009 10:38 PM

"Canceled" on Transcript

Old 06-09-2009 at 07:37 PM   #1
Kevin S

Liked: 128 Times

"Canceled" on Transcript
Hey guys,

I'm just curious... if you have a course listed as "Canceled" on your transcript, would this affect you in the long term? For example, if you're applying to grad school, or even a job, would having courses listed as "Canceled" on your transcript hurt your chances of being accepted?

Thanks in advance!
~KS
Old 06-09-2009 at 08:58 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Although there are different reasons as why one would cancel a course, I would expect that when people look at your transcript they would assume the worst.

In this case however, I don't think it would hurt your chances a great deal. It's not like failing a course. I have extreme doubts it'll affect your future jobs. As for grad school, I believe they only look at your prerequisite courses as well as your CA. I also believe you have to go through an interview in order ot be accepted into grad school. So if anything, they'll ask why. But it's only a canceled course, it's not like you failed. 1 course in 40 isn't that bad.

Kevin S says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 06-09-2009 at 10:16 PM   #3
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Yeah, I basically agree with Jeremy.

I doubt it will make too much of an impact.

Kevin S says thanks to PTGregD for this post.
Old 06-09-2009 at 10:17 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

As Jeremy said, a class showing up as canceled is unlikely to have any affect on any schools looking at your transcript. I would think that a multitude of them would have an effect though.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Kevin S says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 06-09-2009 at 10:29 PM   #5
Kevin S

Liked: 128 Times

Thanks guys!
~KS
Old 06-09-2009 at 11:00 PM   #6
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I have three cancelled classes on my transcript...I turned out TV. Didn't seem to hurt my chances much.

I don't think they assume the worst, because for instance, 1 of mine was because I was foolhardy and overwhelmed by my course load. Another was due to financial complications, while the third was recommended by my Physician (I didn't get a note or anything, since I didn't need one to drop a course).

There are a multitude of reasons to cancel a course besides academic incompetence.

Last edited by Mowicz : 06-09-2009 at 11:03 PM.

Kevin S says thanks to Mowicz for this post.
Old 06-09-2009 at 11:05 PM   #7
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Haha, TV is the enemy of our kind.
Yeah, I can't find it in me to drop a course. I try to stick with it, even if I really hate it and man is it hard.

What happens when you cancel a course, and then take it again? Is it replaced or does it still show up on your transcript?
Old 06-09-2009 at 11:14 PM   #8
Matthew K

Liked: 70 Times

I also have a similar question... do grad schools check first year marks? because I have a course on my transcript that is listed as "Canceled" and it's a first year course...
Old 06-09-2009 at 11:14 PM   #9
Mowicz
Elite Member

It would show up twice...once as a CAN and once with your grade.

I know what you mean...I never took the decision lightly, but as I said 2 of the 3 times I cancelled I had really good reasons. (One of which involved stress-induced hallucinations!)

EDIT: @Matthew_K:

This varies from grad school to grad school. I'm only familiar with Mathematics, since that's where I was applying to, but I don't think I found a single one that cared about first year grades. It was either your final year, 3rd, 4th and 5th (if applicable) together, or your top 20 half semester grades...which must include something like 12 or 15 courses in your discipline.

More often than not, they also look specifically at courses in your discipline...so electives do not boost your chances, but nor do they hurt your chances.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by Mowicz : 06-09-2009 at 11:21 PM.

Matthew K says thanks to Mowicz for this post.
Old 06-09-2009 at 11:21 PM   #10
Matthew K

Liked: 70 Times

That's a relief. Thanks, that helped a lot.

Last edited by Matthew K : 06-09-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old 06-09-2009 at 11:26 PM   #11
Mowicz
Elite Member

Sorry I also neglected to mention that the information I gave it for Canadian schools only...

In the US, you have to write what's known as the GRE exams to go to grad schools...much of a school's decision is based on those scores. (Think of it as an MCAT for other subjects besides medicines, though probably not as hard)

Old 06-09-2009 at 11:52 PM   #12
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew K View Post
I also have a similar question... do grad schools check first year marks? because I have a course on my transcript that is listed as "Canceled" and it's a first year course...
Although your first year grades may not be considered, they are still on your transcript. Sooo if they want to the selection committee can (and I'm assuming will) look at all of your grades.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Matthew K says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 06-10-2009 at 12:09 AM   #13
Mowicz
Elite Member

It really depends too...I mean if you have a terrible average first year, but then the grad school claims to only look at say, your final year...and you're confident enough in those marks to have a good shot at being accepted...they might say "Wow, this guy's improved a lot!"

So to reiterate...I think we're both giving fine answers here. Except what we're overlooking is the part 'beyond' grades. The question is: "How do we distinguish between two, seemingly identical (in terms of grades) candidates?"

If two candidates have identical grades and courses taken, then the selection committee will base their decision on other factors...

But this is as unpredictable as can be...I mean, I heard right from the graduate advisor (he was my professor at the time) for Math that McMaster once denied a student entry into their program due to poor penmanship. The candidate was so equally matched with another one in terms of grades, interests and research potential (reference letters), that they had to resort to checking penmanship to make their decision. If you have a solid application, regarding what they claim they are looking for, then you'll have a good chance. Everyone makes mistakes, Pencils have erasers and whatnot.

So what I'm trying to say to Matthew_K is...although I'm reassuring you, saying that most grad schools claim to only care about upper level courses, poor first year grades may tip the scale against you (as lorend is saying).

But don't worry, because I really believe these are minor issues...if they say they care predominantly about whatever, they mean that...but sometimes the decision procedure can be cutthroat, and they'll resort to tearing apart any detail they can get their hands on, to declare one candidate superior to another.

Last edited by Mowicz : 06-10-2009 at 12:11 AM.

Old 06-10-2009 at 03:27 AM   #14
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I know that for optometry there are quite a bit of required courses and a lot of them are first year courses (oddly enough, but I guess they still need to adjust since they just increased the amount of undergrad years to 3). So technically when I apply they will be looking at my first year physics (both of them), english, psych, bio (both), chem and calc. Not to mention both kin if I were to have taken them as my physiology courses.

So what I'm saying is that is depends on which grad/prof school you are applying to. I would suggest looking into it so that you know which courses to put the most time/work into.

Matthew K says thanks to jhan523 for this post.