MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cant Decide kwyhan Academics 5 06-11-2010 10:39 PM
Help me out. Decide the best people to send this too, and/or help proofread and edit. Kurt_ General Discussion 36 04-05-2009 11:10 AM

Can't decide.........

Old 05-22-2011 at 12:43 PM   #1
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Can't decide.........
Alright, so I will probably be coming here next year, but I can't decide for which program. I'm in for Environmental Science and Life Science. From what I have heard, lots of people say that if you get a life science degree that you pretty much have to go to a professional school/med school or something like that...but with Environmental you can get a job more easily. If I go into life sci, lots of people also keep telling me to take Environmental courses as my electives...wouldn't it just be better to just go into E.Science in the first place then because even with E.Science I can still go to med school/prof. school and all that jazz just as I could with life right? thanks lol
Old 05-22-2011 at 12:51 PM   #2
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

for life sci that isnt true. i know a friend in it who was trying to get into chemical/drug making. he ended up switching into pure chemistry so he would land in the same field but make abit more money. So no, life sci =/= med school
Old 05-22-2011 at 12:53 PM   #3
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

It seems to me that grad school/med school is becoming increasingly common for most degrees. Having said that, regardless of your program, I don't think any graduate would come out of university and find it IMPOSSIBLE to find a job.
I would choose based on what you're more interested in, and not worry about grad school stuff just yet. If you change your mind, you can always switch programs.

Ish001 likes this.
Old 05-22-2011 at 02:03 PM   #4
sf

Liked: 36 Times

Personally, I love the environmental science program and the opportunities it provides me. WIth that said, there are course outlines and descriptions posted ont he SGES website for people to view. I would suggest taking a look at these and seeing if they interest you. You can also do this with the life sci courses. Compare the courses and see which program it appears you will like more. If you still can't decide, follow your gut, you can always apply for a different program after 1st year.
Old 05-22-2011 at 02:10 PM   #5
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

You can easily go into a variety of programs after entering into Life Sciences I. It all depends on your electives and other courses that you take. Level 2 programs range from Psychology to Biology to Chemistry to Physics, and even switching into a pure maths degree isn't tough. You just have to meet all the requirements. I'm sure at least one or the other of those would lead to some jobs...lol.
Old 05-22-2011 at 02:13 PM   #6
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

life sci is only for first year.. second year is when u pick your actual major.. so u can be enrolled in 'lie science' for first year and just as well apply to enviro for 2nd yr
Old 05-22-2011 at 02:15 PM   #7
doppelganger

Liked: 65 Times

There is not much difference b/w the 2 in 1st year. No matter which one u choose now, you can decide which one you want to go into at the end of your first year, after trying out some enviro courses. Just make sure your first year courses meet the prerequistes for both level II programs.
Old 05-24-2011 at 04:22 PM   #8
Sintos

Liked: 85 Times

With more and more people going to university, you aren't guaranteed a job anymore after graduation... My advice would be to take whatever you think you can get the best grades in, the norm is usually Earth Science > Life Science, and use those awesome grades to get into a Masters, and eventually a PHD. THEN you are guaranteed a job after school...
Old 05-24-2011 at 04:28 PM   #9
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sintos View Post
With more and more people going to university, you aren't guaranteed a job anymore after graduation... My advice would be to take whatever you think you can get the best grades in, the norm is usually Earth Science > Life Science, and use those awesome grades to get into a Masters, and eventually a PHD. THEN you are guaranteed a job after school...
While you're still in the education system and paying tuiton fees, other people will be paying off their tuition fees and in a decent job/position in some company.
Old 05-24-2011 at 04:31 PM   #10
Sintos

Liked: 85 Times

I never said you couldn't, I was just saying if you want to be guaranteed a job you will need a masters. My friend graduated with a three year degree last year, couldn't get a job anywhere, so he applied to Tim Hortans for the summer... They rejected him saying he was over-qualified, and would leave in a month or two when he gets a better job...
Old 05-24-2011 at 04:47 PM   #11
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Nothing is 'garunteed'. If you think you need a PhD to get a job... well... maybe you've just been going to school because you can't find employment anyways.
Old 05-24-2011 at 05:04 PM   #12
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Alright thanks guys. I know both are pretty similar, but was just wondering anyways. I will probably go into Life Science and just take E.Science courses as my electives in case I wish to do it.
Old 05-24-2011 at 05:08 PM   #13
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Good luck nonetheless Jason.

Silver says thanks to anonanon987 for this post.
Old 05-24-2011 at 06:40 PM   #14
ladyh

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
I never said you couldn't, I was just saying if you want to be guaranteed a job you will need a masters. My friend graduated with a three year degree last year, couldn't get a job anywhere, so he applied to Tim Hortans for the summer... They rejected him saying he was over-qualified, and would leave in a month or two when he gets a better job...
I totally agree. Now that I've graduated and I'm looking around at people I know, a degree is definitely no guarantee of a job, and a lot of them are unemployed or are working doing things that have nothing to do with their degree that somebody else without a degree could do too. I'm in professional school now and most people I know are either waiting to hear back or are planning to apply to grad or professional school since their prospects aren't too great with only a bachelors degree (which is pretty much the new equivalent of a high school diploma these days).

edit - except for co-op, the people i know who did co-op in their undergrad have pretty good prospects for a decent paying job right out of undergrad, though they'd need further education to really advance in the company.

Last edited by ladyh : 05-24-2011 at 06:44 PM.
Old 05-24-2011 at 06:46 PM   #15
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Study what you like, don't go to university to get a job.