MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about the current state of MI Mepper General Discussion 27 02-03-2011 11:57 PM
Daily game Jan 29 : Farm of Souls Chad Daily Game 0 01-29-2011 04:33 AM
State of the Union mkozi MacInsiders Announcements 15 01-18-2011 09:23 PM
Globalization And The State: 2g03 sumo1991 Academics 0 12-16-2010 03:31 PM

Car Insurance - State Farm

Old 08-26-2012 at 02:07 PM   #1
canadianvpk

Liked: 1 Time

Car Insurance - State Farm
Hey everyone, I'm currently shopping for car insurance. I heard state farm offers a good rate for students. Any one used them or have any idea how their rates and coverage are ?..

Currently I'm with TD. They are good in rates in my city but in Hamilton they charge me $30 bucks extra for a month so I'm trying to shop around and see if any one have good rates then this.

Thanks
Old 08-26-2012 at 02:49 PM   #2
ThatGuy

Liked: 36 Times

I've heard of people getting good and really bad quotes from statefarm. Your best best is to call as many insurance companies as possible and call some brokers (so they can check multiple at a time).
Old 08-26-2012 at 03:22 PM   #3
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

They have a student discount. Maintain a 70 average and you get like 500 less. Too bad my average sucks this year

RyanC likes this.
Old 08-26-2012 at 04:15 PM   #4
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianvpk View Post
Hey everyone, I'm currently shopping for car insurance. I heard state farm offers a good rate for students. Any one used them or have any idea how their rates and coverage are ?..

Currently I'm with TD. They are good in rates in my city but in Hamilton they charge me $30 bucks extra for a month so I'm trying to shop around and see if any one have good rates then this.

Thanks
Most places will charge more in Hamilton--I guess it's one of the "higher risk" cities. If you compare a bunch of different insurance companies' rates for your hometown vs Hamilton, Hamilton will probably be higher for all of them. I had the same problem :(

That said, shopping around is definitely not a bad thing.
Old 08-26-2012 at 05:38 PM   #5
canadianvpk

Liked: 1 Time

Thanks Guys, I will check with couple of companies and see which one is good.
Old 08-26-2012 at 06:58 PM   #6
SmSm

Liked: 0 Times

I am with TD Meloche Monnex. They give you almost %20 discount on your TD quote. It is the best price I found. They have a deal with mcmaster.
Old 08-26-2012 at 07:59 PM   #7
jayaprr

Liked: 3 Times

im with TD too...shopped around a lot..thy have almost the best deals with the MAC discount...
Old 08-26-2012 at 08:48 PM   #8
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Any of you in Eng considered signing up for the OSPE student membership to get Insurance discounts?

http://www.ospe.on.ca/?page=cat_stud
Old 08-27-2012 at 06:49 AM   #9
campbekn

Liked: 2 Times

State Farm tends to be a more expensive service unless you're getting full discounts, mostly because if you crash your car and have a claim for the damages they actually pay it (unlike a LOT of other companies, and that's where the price difference comes in - if other companies are getting around paying out their claims and SF pays them, they have to charge more per customer) so it's kind of a 'premium' service. They have good student discount (70% average or over but they can be pretty lenient) and a bunch of other discounts but the big one is the multi line discount, so if you're only insuring an auto, you're not going to be getting the best rate. Typically for someone under 25, the best price you're going to get is wherever your parents are insured, you'll get the most discounts for being there longer and having multiple lines of business. I'm surprised the price is only going up $30 for Hamilton, you're probably not getting a bad rate where you already are - if you move from somewhere like Burlington/Oakville to Hamilton, the price nearly doubles.
Old 08-27-2012 at 10:23 AM   #10
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

Safe Auto quoted me at $520 per month. So I hung up.
Old 08-27-2012 at 10:28 AM   #11
katrinabell

Liked: 19 Times

You can always leave your insurance for the city that you're from. As long as its your 'permanent address' (on your drivers license etc) theres no need to change car insurance to Hamilton. My boyfriend and I did this because its much much cheaper to get insurance outside of the Hamilton area. He's kept his Guelph address and has insurance there
Old 08-27-2012 at 10:29 AM   #12
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

We investigated a lot of options when picking our car insurance - the advice we got for lower rates was to move to Burlington. There are a couple of insurance scam rings in Hamilton so the insurance companies add some padding to rates here to cover the increase in payouts they face here. We ended up going with State Farm. Pam at their office on Dundurn is pretty fantastic to work with.